Journey to becoming an American PH in Africa

I suppose you became a South African permanent resident. If not you won‘t be able working as a a ph.
No sir, I did a guiding course in South Africa that helped get a foot in the door of the guiding industry and gain some more experience. I have spent a decent amount of time in SA as a volunteer on some concessions, but am working on getting my PH license in Tanzania as it is easier for me as an America.

Congratulations on pursuing your dreams, we only get one shot at this life so let’s all make it count!!!
Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Hello All,

My name is Sam Beavers, I am 22 years old from a small town in Iowa. I am a deer hunting guide in Iowa, Missouri, and Indiana. Also, an apprentice for Nathan Askew of Bullet Safaris.

This thread will be following my journey on becoming an American PH in Africa...

My first time going to Africa was in September 2014. It was a Safari that I actually ended up winning in an SCI new member raffle. I was 16 years old. This is how the African continent and everything she has to offer was first introduced to me. And I haven't looked back since!!

I went on a 10 day, plains game Safari in the Limpopo Province of South Africa. My father decided to accompany me along on the Safari because for some reason he did not think a 16 year old would be okay traveling half way around the world to hunt for 2 weeks. I think he was just in fact jealous and did not want to be left out!

I was able to harvest 5 animals in my 10 days and was blown away about everything that Africa had to offer. The people, the food, the hospitality, everything was above and beyond what someone who loves hunting could dream of. It consumed me. So much so that I spent every waking moment I could trying and talking to anyone and everyone who would listen about how one day I would be back to Africa. This time as a guide. And how I dream of one day becoming one of the best PH's in the industry. Someone who has such and impact on not only the hunting community, but the conservation and wildlife community. It is more than a hobby, it is an obsession that consumes every moment of my life.

That first step into the African bush is a moment that I am able to feel to this day. The Gemsbok, Impala, Zebra, Baboon, and Warthog hanging on the wall are a daily reminder of why I want to pursue becoming something that not a lot of Americans have been able to do.

Finally, after 5 years I have been given the opportunity to pursue my dreams of becoming a Professional Hunter in Africa.

Hopefully you all will follow along on my future adventures as I have many more stories and experiences to share!!

--Sam
Cool Sam keep us updated on your dream and good luck

Best of luck Sam. If you ever need help or direction while in South Africa do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Nathan is a great operator and you will learn a lot and the experience you will get from working in such a operation is worth more than anything money can buy.

All the best and good luck!

Jacques

Don't know how I missed this. Good luck Sam! I'm looking forward to your updates!! Stay safe and be well.

Good luck and best wishes.

Sam, sorry I missed this thread back in December. I did very much enjoy visiting with you at DSC.

:S Welcome::S Welcome::S Welcome:

Welcome and go for it... Tanzania is truly a fantastic place to learn... I have hunted there twice and loved the remoteness and lack of people and villages. Best of luck...

Best of Luck to you Sam!

Welcome to AH I just noticed this post, Best of luck

And we have heard nothing from Sam since Jan8th. Two posts and gone it looks like. Then again he may be stuck in the wilds of Africa but I hope not.

2 years later and I am finally getting back to posting on AH.

The past 2 years have been a whirlwind of hunting and trying to make a living as a guide. Which is easier said than done. I am currently still working for Nathan Askew and Bullet Safaris. After 3 seasons with him I am now able to sit the professional hunting exam in Tanzania, and will become one of only a handful of Americans to hold a professional hunting license in Tanzania! (Not bad for a 24-year-old farm boy) The past 3 years as an apprentice have been nothing short of amazing. The work involved in getting this far is something I never could have imagined.

My first 2 years were in a bait truck and working in the hunting camp. Learning to speak Kiswahili, working with guys who didn’t speak any English and having to figure it out as I went was the biggest challenge of all. I learned very quickly that the hunting side of the whole operation is the easiest part. Learning how to run a camp and the logistics involved makes a guy grow up pretty quick! Not to mention all the things than can and will go wrong that are completely out of our control. Broken trucks, animals in camp, people getting sick or injured, it’s a never ending shifting and changing puzzle that you can only hope to partially control.

And that’s all before I was able to get out in the bush to do anything that contributed to the hunt!

Long days and shorts nights have been the name of game the past couple years, but have slowly started to pay off as the opportunities I have been given are starting to pay off.

More stories and pictures to come!

---Sam

2 years later and I am finally getting back to posting on AH.

The past 2 years have been a whirlwind of hunting and trying to make a living as a guide. Which is easier said than done. I am currently still working for Nathan Askew and Bullet Safaris. After 3 seasons with him I am now able to sit the professional hunting exam in Tanzania, and will become one of only a handful of Americans to hold a professional hunting license in Tanzania! (Not bad for a 24-year-old farm boy) The past 3 years as an apprentice have been nothing short of amazing. The work involved in getting this far is something I never could have imagined.

My first 2 years were in a bait truck and working in the hunting camp. Learning to speak Kiswahili, working with guys who didn’t speak any English and having to figure it out as I went was the biggest challenge of all. I learned very quickly that the hunting side of the whole operation is the easiest part. Learning how to run a camp and the logistics involved makes a guy grow up pretty quick! Not to mention all the things than can and will go wrong that are completely out of our control. Broken trucks, animals in camp, people getting sick or injured, it’s a never ending shifting and changing puzzle that you can only hope to partially control.

And that’s all before I was able to get out in the bush to do anything that contributed to the hunt!

Long days and shorts nights have been the name of game the past couple years, but have slowly started to pay off as the opportunities I have been given are starting to pay off.

More stories and pictures to come!

---Sam
Happy to see that you stuck to it and are doing well. Best of luck as you continue. Will be watching for more. Thanks for posting.

Good on ya for following your dream! Carry on!

OUTSTANDING!!!!!

I am now able to sit the professional hunting exam in Tanzania, and will become one of only a handful of Americans to hold a professional hunting license in Tanzania! (Not bad for a 24-year-old farm boy) The past 3 years as an apprentice have been nothing short of amazing.
What an awesome things do happen. You managed to find THE passion of Your life and live the dream.
"Ducunt volentem fata".
Best of luck (y)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!