I've got wood!

Awesome!! I really like the sharp finger one, I've used one with that design for years, given to me by my father.

Very nice! I think you sell yourself a little short on your skill level though. I have made only a handful of (poorly done) knives and it really made me appreciate the skill of those who do it right. It is great the wood lives on in this form and did not get scrapped.

I'd GLADLY take either of those beauties!! Let me know where to send my wallet too.. LOL.. Truly AMAZING work though!

After seeing the replies on this thread, I feel even more honored to be one of Dave's "guinea pigs"; and I too share the opinion that he sells himself short on his knife-making skills. I got to hold two examples of his work last month during the DSC convention, and I thought they were spectacular.

Dave's inspiration behind my knife was to make a tribute to the styling of the walnut and steel safari rifles that we all know and love, as well as the brass bullets that feed them. I think it turned out beautifully, and can hardly wait to hold it in my hands later this week. It will definitely hold a cherished place in my arsenal and in my heart, and I'm sure will someday be a family heirloom. My local buddies whom I have told about this project are already asking how they can get knives made for them. Thanks a million, Dave! :)

I will pipe in as the other guinea pigs. Dave and I have talked over the years on many subjects, along with trading things back and forth. So when he offered the idea of making a knife for me I was very happy and honored. I am especially glad he was able to repurpose the scales from a fine old shotgun.
Thank you buddy.

Dave's inspiration behind my knife was to make a tribute to the styling of the walnut and steel safari rifles that we all know and love, as well as the brass bullets that feed them. :)

I wasnt super sure how the buff horn bolster and walnut would look.. but thought it would be cool to try to mimic the look of a "safari" rifle with figured walnut and a black cap on the forend.. I would have loved to have put a really nice hot blue on the blade, but lack the equipment to really do that right, and after thinking about it, Im afraid if the knife got any actual use beyond opening a box or two, the bluing would scratch and start to look poorly after a short period of time.. so I just went with polishing the steel..

I'm definitely going to do some more black/walnut combos moving forward.. and am going to try to figure out how to "blue" the blade in a reasonable manner (maybe cerakote? they have a "rifle blue" color I believe).. I kinda like the "safari rifle" look :)

:D

A fairly long story... but the short version is...

Through some trading and dealing I came into a couple of broken/cracked stocks from bespoke, high end guns (specifically purdy and boss shotguns) and a few more from unknown guns, but obviously highly figured walnut from a nice firearm..

I managed to mill one of the unknown origin stocks and one of the purdy's into a handful of small scales suitable for making knife handles recently.. I wasnt sure if I could capture the figuring well on such small pieces of wood.. but I think most of the scales are going to actually work out really well..

Coincidentally, I've been working on a couple of knives for friends / fellow AH members and thought they'd make great guinea pigs for the using the pretty walnut..

I have said it several times before, and will say it again.. I am a mere journeyman of a knife maker.. a hobbyist on my best day.. FAR from a master blade smith of any kind.. but.. I do enjoy the hobby... and especially enjoy being able to make stuff for friends that I know will put the products made to good use..

The top blade is my take on the old timer "sharpfinger" profile.. the blade is slightly more upswept than the old timer, slightly shorter, and I HATE where the old timer version puts the lanyard hole, so thats in a different place.. Its got black G10 pins, ebony liners, and the walnut is from the purdy mentioned above.. Ive found it to be a good small to medium game skinner/caping knife (I carry one very similar, except mine has G10 handles..).. As soon as the sheath is done I'll be shipping it off to @AZDAVE

The bottom blade is a spearpoint design that Ive made quite a few of.. I consider it a good "general purpose" type blade.. I keep a similar knife (with G10 handles) in my "camping" pack for general camp use... its got buffalo horn bolsters, black G10 liners, mosaic pins, and walnut from unknown origin gunstock for handles.. The sheath should be done for this one in a couple of days.. then I'll meet @cash_tx for lunch somewhere locally and do a handoff in person..

View attachment 516176

Next up I think is a drop point hunter for myself... I made a "user" grade one last year that I hunted with quite a bit.. I think I'll take a couple of the scales I cut out from the purdy, fancy things up with some bone liners and some ornate pins.. put a mirror polish on it.. and try to make a "presentation" blade to keep as an heirloom type item to give to a kid one day..

super excited at how well the stocks have milled out and the potential for what I might be able to do with them and give the walnut another life and use in hunting :)
@mdwest
The little sharp finger is one of my favorites. Every time I had one someone liked it more than me so they usually ended up with it while I went a purchased another.
You knives look outstanding, great work.
Bob

those are awesome.
I do woodworking.
I make all kinds of tables of wood and wood/epoxy river. also, charcuterie boards, etc.
I also turn bowls, vases, and all sorts of other things on my lathe.
My garage has been my shop for a few years.

I saw these knives and thought, I won't to make some of those. Then I saw it was you.
I will be in touch. I know very little about knife blanks at all, actually nothing.
So will be hitting you up for info.

The balance on one of those things is critical. I found this picture...
View attachment 516186

The other trick is to have the poll and blade hardened correctly. Most of the cheaper axes don't get this right. Best of luck with it.

Here I thought my hatchet was the only one with that sticker skid mark on the shank!

Here I thought my hatchet was the only one with that sticker skid mark on the shank!
LOL. Not a picture I took. To be honest, I don't allow stickers or tags on almost anything. Drives my wife nuts.

:D

A fairly long story... but the short version is...

Through some trading and dealing I came into a couple of broken/cracked stocks from bespoke, high end guns (specifically purdy and boss shotguns) and a few more from unknown guns, but obviously highly figured walnut from a nice firearm..

I managed to mill one of the unknown origin stocks and one of the purdy's into a handful of small scales suitable for making knife handles recently.. I wasnt sure if I could capture the figuring well on such small pieces of wood.. but I think most of the scales are going to actually work out really well..

Coincidentally, I've been working on a couple of knives for friends / fellow AH members and thought they'd make great guinea pigs for the using the pretty walnut..

I have said it several times before, and will say it again.. I am a mere journeyman of a knife maker.. a hobbyist on my best day.. FAR from a master blade smith of any kind.. but.. I do enjoy the hobby... and especially enjoy being able to make stuff for friends that I know will put the products made to good use..

The top blade is my take on the old timer "sharpfinger" profile.. the blade is slightly more upswept than the old timer, slightly shorter, and I HATE where the old timer version puts the lanyard hole, so thats in a different place.. Its got black G10 pins, ebony liners, and the walnut is from the purdy mentioned above.. Ive found it to be a good small to medium game skinner/caping knife (I carry one very similar, except mine has G10 handles..).. As soon as the sheath is done I'll be shipping it off to @AZDAVE

The bottom blade is a spearpoint design that Ive made quite a few of.. I consider it a good "general purpose" type blade.. I keep a similar knife (with G10 handles) in my "camping" pack for general camp use... its got buffalo horn bolsters, black G10 liners, mosaic pins, and walnut from unknown origin gunstock for handles.. The sheath should be done for this one in a couple of days.. then I'll meet @cash_tx for lunch somewhere locally and do a handoff in person..

View attachment 516176

Next up I think is a drop point hunter for myself... I made a "user" grade one last year that I hunted with quite a bit.. I think I'll take a couple of the scales I cut out from the purdy, fancy things up with some bone liners and some ornate pins.. put a mirror polish on it.. and try to make a "presentation" blade to keep as an heirloom type item to give to a kid one day..

super excited at how well the stocks have milled out and the potential for what I might be able to do with them and give the walnut another life and use in hunting :)
I really like the old timer, well done! I may just take the blade you gave away at your AH dinner to Africa in June :)

I really like the old timer, well done! I may just take the blade you gave away at your AH dinner to Africa in June :)

Pics or it didn’t happen!

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross