It took me a while, but I finally finished it!

jduckhunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
DU, JSA, NAHC( Life member), NRA (Life member)
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, USA (PA ,WY,TX,MT,AK,NJ,DE,VA,WV,SD,MA,NC,FL,MD,CA) Canada (QC,NF,ON,NT,NWT,BC), New Zealand
I started waterfowl hunting in 1985 and for about 30 years I was just enjoying myself traveling around the country shooting ducks and geese. Then I learned about the waterfowl slam or maybe my kids found out about it, I don't remember exactly how it went. But what I do remember is them asking me how many different species I had and how close I was to getting the slam. I told them that I really wasn't interested in a slam that I just enjoyed hunting waterfowl, well that wasn't the answer that they wanted. They kept after me nudging and pushing me to finish what I unwittingly started. A few years ago, my son accompanied me to St. Paul, Alaska to check the King eider off the list, then last year my son, son in law and I traveled to California to collect some Cinnamon teal. That left me with only the Fulvous Whistling duck and the Black Belly Tree duck on my list. Last week my son in law and I headed south to Okeechobee, Florida. My son would have liked to have gone along but having recently moved into a new house and trying to get his family settled in it just wasn't going to work. Any way on our first day there I was able to knock down a few Fulvous ducks and on the second morning we lucked out because the rain that was coming down kept the Black Bellies flying low and later than usual and we collected a few of them. And just like that my slam was complete. I spent the next 2 days just having fun shooting whatever species of duck flew past or over me.
FL20237.jpg
FL20238.jpg

Congratulations!

Nice!

Wow, that’s a helluva feat! Congrats! A lot of traveling. My buddy Mark Peterson did it as well. I won’t even try.

C
I started waterfowl hunting in 1985 and for about 30 years I was just enjoying myself traveling around the country shooting ducks and geese. Then I learned about the waterfowl slam or maybe my kids found out about it, I don't remember exactly how it went. But what I do remember is them asking me how many different species I had and how close I was to getting the slam. I told them that I really wasn't interested in a slam that I just enjoyed hunting waterfowl, well that wasn't the answer that they wanted. They kept after me nudging and pushing me to finish what I unwittingly started. A few years ago, my son accompanied me to St. Paul, Alaska to check the King eider off the list, then last year my son, son in law and I traveled to California to collect some Cinnamon teal. That left me with only the Fulvous Whistling duck and the Black Belly Tree duck on my list. Last week my son in law and I headed south to Okeechobee, Florida. My son would have liked to have gone along but having recently moved into a new house and trying to get his family settled in it just wasn't going to work. Any way on our first day there I was able to knock down a few Fulvous ducks and on the second morning we lucked out because the rain that was coming down kept the Black Bellies flying low and later than usual and we collected a few of them. And just like that my slam was complete. I spent the next 2 days just having fun shooting whatever species of duck flew past or over me. View attachment 513654View attachment 513655Congratulations! Well done.

I’ve watched mark Petersons videos on the topic-some pretty cool stuff. Congrats on the slam, that’s a fun goal accomplished!

What an achievement and a wonderful pursuit.

Funny how kids will get you to do something like that, that alone is worth a big smile being able to do some of that with them.

Congratulations, on the ducks and by the sound of it some good kids.

Glad you had some fun hunting waterfowl. It takes a lot of fun to collect that many species.
Congrats.

That’s AWESOME! Congratulations!!!

Fantastic. I have a handful left to complete the 41. I did the cinnamon just before Christmas. I'm not registering the slam but just doing it for myself. I also am lacking the tree ducks and have not found a good source yet. Even Ramsey Russell didn't have a good source for me.

Well done @jduckhunter!! So what’s going to be the next “slam” you will pursue?!

I first herd about this slam a couple years back after seeing a sticker on a truck at the marina. Did some digging on it and hats off to you. Congrats on a great accomplishment.

Thanks everyone. It was a lot of fun but not without some pain and drama. Like riding out 10 to 12 foot waves in an inflatable boat in the Berring sea or having your ungloved hand frozen to the side of an aluminum boat in 0 degree weather or like the time I went goose hunting with a micro tear in my right shoulder. The doctor said that it would be ok to shoot as long as I could stand the pain, he didn’t tell me how much it would hurt. Oh and alligators swimming past while you’re standing in knee deep water adds a whole new level of excitement. All in all though I would do it all over again in a heart beat, the fun that I had with family and friends and the new friends that I made along the way was worth it all.

It's interesting how a quest to find all the species can take you into all kinds of country, meeting all kinds of people. The memories and friendships are the real trophies. Congrats on a great accomplishment.

Well done @jduckhunter!! So what’s going to be the next “slam” you will pursue?!
I’m not sure that there are any more slams in my future. I have the North American caribou slam and the North American antelope slam. LOL Who knows maybe North American deer, moose or turkey I have a good start those.

If you haven't finished the turkey slam it's a lot of fun! I've got a couple of those and every future Osceola I take is another slam completed. I've even got 1/2 a bearded hen slam...chasing those is really fun.

Congrats to you! As a teenager in SE Idaho I spent a lot of time duck hunting. At one point in time I wasn't a bad shot with a shotgun. Been in NE WY for 36 yrs. Not too many ducks around here and I haven't traveled for waterfowl. I can admire someone who has tho. Glad you got it done!
Bruce

Very awesome! Congrats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmieFletch

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg