It’s not much; but, it’s mine... Heym 89B 450/400 arrived today

Anyone who would state this fine rifle "is not much" would vote for Hillary and have a poster of Janet Reno in a thong in his gun room. Perhaps the nicest Heym I have seen. At last they are making doubles along English lines and doing a damn fine job!

Congrats on a good looking rifle in a great calibre big enough to kill anything and the whole setup light enough to carry all day long on spoor without needing any help.

You have a fine rifle to be proud of. I hope you enjoy many days afield with it by your side.

Obviously your statement that "Its not much" was said tongue in cheek. If it weren't left handed I'd take it in a minute!! I hope it shoots as well as it looks. Post targets as soon as you get a chance.

I will share a link, it is around 21,000 Canadian so probably 5000 usd lol

They have a bunch of nice doubles on that site. Many in 500, so that made me a bit cautious about buying a 500 . I was tempted by the Kreighoff in 500/416.

When I did see the 470 I did buy on another site I just fell in love with the wood, couldn't pass it up and the price was very fair. That Heym will stay in my memory for a long time.
That rifle has been on Ralph’s site for a while. Looks as if it has some rust and imperfections along the left rib, minor handling marks on the stock. Could probably get it a little cheaper than 21k Canadian. That’s just 17386 US

@wiltznucs Beautiful double in a great caliber. Congratulations!!!

The 89, from what i've seen in "Pictures" is exquisite, and this is no exception! Love the appearance of 450-400 on the light frame & appreciate the photos, gives perspective on the grade engraving as well. I'm always looking at this thing anymore. Congrats man!

So 9-10 months delivery time? That’s pretty good. Is that standard or did you get a rush put on it because of an upcoming hunt?

It’s my understanding that they already had an unclaimed 450/400 action in process so that expedited things a bit. I was told 6-7 months from start to finish. I’d of had it far earlier as the gun was finished in March; however, delays by the shipping brokers and customs set delivery back over two months.

It’s my understanding that they already had an unclaimed 450/400 action in process so that expedited things a bit. I was told 6-7 months from start to finish. I’d of had it far earlier as the gun was finished in March; however, delays by the shipping brokers and customs set delivery back over two months.
I bet the wait was painful. That must be what @Kevin Peacocke is going through right now.

Heym is doing a lot right, one of the few companies that are. Congrats, thats a dandy rifle, all you'll ever need.

It is likely I will have to learn to love an RMR in the future, but I will put it off as long as I can. The look down that landing strip with the bold V and the dot is almost worth it even if you can't see what you are shooting at as well!
Did you order the ghost ring sight as discussed?

The Zim coffee is great by the way...many thanks...
I am off on a meat hunt expedition from tuesday...freezers are running low

No, not sure about it. I know you are correct on this, but I am such a die hard traditionalist. I am really hoping that the fit will be so good that the minute of saucer will happen anyway. I am really going for the 50 metre limit, real stalk and crawl stuff. I could do it with the Verney, lets see with the Heym.

The Zim coffee is great by the way...many thanks...
I am off on a meat hunt expedition from tuesday...freezers are running low
I am pleased you liked it, which one was best? We like Vumba. When you get back IvW maybe we go and see Andrew, I need to handle a Heym once more before I head back to Zim, it will be for a long stretch.

We have started on the Vumba...little by little.

Sure I am leaving Tuesday and will be back the following Monday....the way things are going here I may need to get a multi barrel setup....I will contact you as soon as I am back

It is likely I will have to learn to love an RMR in the future, but I will put it off as long as I can. The look down that landing strip with the bold V and the dot is almost worth it even if you can't see what you are shooting at as well!
Here is a short review of mine.

Here’s the original blank. Chris was pretty high on it from the get go as a left hand stock. This certainly isn’t considered “exhibition grade”. Very good, yes...

We could see the bands of fiddleback even when it was in the raw. That’s what really drew me to it.

If being honest; I think opting for the hand rubbed English style oil finish really made this blank pop. Adds a more glossy finish which many don’t like; but, I love the way it turned out.
View attachment 405766
@Daniel Cary

Well, it’s finally here...

A big shout out to Chris Sells at Heym USA for making it happen. It’s been a bit of a roller coaster during the Covid era.

I visited Chris back in August. After firing the 88 and 89B we decided on this lite model 89B in 450/400 NE.

Dressed it up a little from the factory settings. I’m a southpaw so it’s lefty.

My options...

Left handed stock.
Left handed trigger group and firing order.
Upgraded lumber.
Silver nitrate triggers, trigger guard and butt cap.
English style oil finish on the stock.
Bullino engraved Cape Buffalo underneath.

Hope to get it to the range to check the regulation this weekend. With a bit of luck I’ll have it pointing at Buffs later this month.

View attachment 405388View attachment 405389View attachment 405390View attachment 405391View attachment 405392View attachment 405393View attachment 405394
My goodness, it‘s wonderful!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg