www.tokoloshesafaris.info
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Life Member Safari International, Life Members Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
Here in Zimbabwe I keep hearing that the CZ 550 is no longer being produced and if there are any new ones left with the factory or suppliers they are in European calibers? I did not read the article in Magnum magazine, but it is my understanding that they said more or less the same thing. I read the same thing in threads on the AHF?

A good friend in the states extremely well versed in the retail side of the firearms business, informed me that there were plenty available from his supplier in .375 H&H, .458 Lott & .416 Rigby. If anyone is interested I will put you in contact with him.

Just looked at the CZ website a few days ago. It’s still listed as one of their products.

Now I do recall reading somewhere that they ended production of the LEFT handed model of the 550.

Information provided by @Newboomer...

CZ has stopped making the CZ550 Safari Magnum action and is using what is left for current production.

I knew they were phasing out the CRF models and that the machinery was reaching end of life.
The price of replacing the machinery vs the ROI for the 550 Safari must not be there.

Has me questioning if I'm REALLY ready to sell my CZ550.

They definitely stopped CZ550 in smaller actions.
I saw a rep in a store in Australia trying yo offload stock at better prices saying they are cutting it being an expensive action to produce. (CRF)
I found a shop with a cz550 in .308 good price he said that was the last of them but they still produce the medium action in left hand. Maybe thats old stock too.
Ive read conflicting information on the Magnum actions but there is older thread hear too.

They are indeed done. Thinking about picking up a couple more. Will be interesting to see if pre-64 model 70 prices rebound any as they seem to have slipped some.

My friend in the states just messaged me. CZ in the states have the follow 550s in stock:

323 .375 H&H Safaris
52 ,458 Lott ASM
212 ,375 H&H ASM
14 ,416 Rigby ASM

I do not know what the ASM stands for? It really does not look like there is a shortage at the moment. My friend says the "Big Bore" sales have really dropped off the last few years?

My internet is really messed up this morning, but I had a request from a member asking to be put in contact with the CZ rep in Canada, then the message disappeared (its somewhere I guess)? Anyway I e-mailed my friend and I am sure he will get back to me as soon as possible. It looks like they really have a lot of .375 H&Hs with the European stocks. That could easily be fixed with a Bell & Carlson stock!

I thought about a Bell and Carson for my 375. Its a want not need but if i evere hunt bear i would want an all weather rifle but im in Australia and any chance of bear hunting is a long way off

Latest information...

I am right now in Reno at the SCI show and I have personal friends in both CZ USA and Triple River Gunsmithing.

Here are the facts as related by these sources:
  • CZ as eight times (8 X) more business in pistols than in rifles.
  • CZ has stopped production of ALL 550 actions and rifles.
  • CZ USA does not have any - zero - CZ 550 medium length (30-06) actions left.
  • Whatever CZ 550 rifles are offered by CZ and existing dealers, in shops or on line, is all there is. There will not be any more after that. Period. By my rough count on Gunbroker.com etc. a few months ago, it seems like there are less than 1,000 African caliber rifles for sale in calibers .375 , .416, .458 in the USA.
  • CZ USA has ~100 magnum length actions with .375 bolt faces and ~25 actions with .416 Rigby bolt faces left for custom builds at Triple River Gunsmithing.
The CZ 550 is gone friends, and I wager that it will be dearly and sorely missed.

A true:
- double square bridge,
- integral scope bases,
- magnum-length,
- controlled round feed (CRF),
- drop belly large capacity magazine,
- 100% forged steel,
- appropriate barrel contour,
- barrel boss integral rear sight base,
- barrel-band front sight base,
- tough as nails "Mauser" rifle in mythical .375 H&H, .404 Jeffery, .416 Rigby, .458 Win/Lott calibers for ~$1,200 ................... and people poohpooh it because it needs an hour or two of breaking in and polishing of a few critical surfaces to become the functional equivalent of a $15,000 original Mauser/Rigby ?!?!? You gotta be kidding, right?

Anyone out there wants to bet that barely used as-new CZ 500 actions/rifles will sell for twice or triple their original price within the next 3 years?

Last edited:
My *guess* is ASM is some marketing acronym - African Safari Magnum maybe???

Maybe this will light a bigger fire under Zastava Arms USA to increase focus / support / imports of their LK M70 bolt action rifles.

ASM stands for American Safari Magnum, which is the models with the straight stock instead of the European or "hogs back" stock.
I've never used the CZ 550 I might have to get my hands on one some day.

They always used to have quite a selection of rifles from the custom shop in different big bore calibres and barrel lengths on display at their booth at Sci in past years....this year I had quick look and the biggest I saw were some 375.....and didn't look like from the custom shop..... Way less rifles on display than in the past.....

@One Day... thank you for the follow up to what @Newboomer had stated. Everything is cyclical, so I imagine within so many years CZ or someone else may start back up and try to fill that void IF the demand comes back.

Their certainly is no shortage of 550 long or magnum rifles/actions for sale in the various auction/listing sites. Might take a few years to dry those up.

Let's face it guys, us old geezers are dying off and the youngsters being raised for the most part don't want anything to do with rifles or hunting. Sad to say, but it is possible that there could be a surplus of them forever.

Let's face it guys, us old geezers are dying off and the youngsters being raised for the most part don't want anything to do with rifles or hunting. Sad to say, but it is possible that there could be a surplus of them forever.
Yes, that would be my fear also.

So sad! I love my CZ 550 .458WM. It’s one of the finest rifles for the price out there! Although, look at all of the Interarms Whitworths out there for sale in .375 and .458? They stopped making those calibers in the mid ‘90s. But they’re not of the quality that the CZs are! I have two Whitworths , but now I’m looking to buy another couple of CZs. When your on a “rifle budget”, the CZs can’t be beat!

One Day, Thanks for the update. When I talked withe the CZ rep at the show he said basically what you did. No more 550s. I asked about a 494 Jeffery and he called the factory and they have one barrel. I told him I want it so they are going to build me a 404 Jeffery on a 550 Magnum action. Waiting on a call the first of the week or when they get things going after the show.

My *guess* is ASM is some marketing acronym - African Safari Magnum maybe???

Maybe this will light a bigger fire under Zastava Arms USA to increase focus / support / imports of their LK M70 bolt action rifles.

They will need to replace their old worn machinery first. Quite a few of the last lots into Australia had actions where the top of the receiver where out of round so to speak. They do not have a round receiver but a slight ridge. The front could be out of alignment with the rear or run at an angle, scope holes not aligning.

Your absolutely correct! The CZ 550s will be available FOREVER if what I see at gun shows is the norm. The younger non hunting generation are huddled around the tables with "black" rifles and semi auto handguns. The ONLY customers I see looking at tables with any hunting rifles (let alone large bore rifles) are, shall I say, "seasoned" gentlemen hunters and aficionados? Hell, some of the sellers of large bore rifles don't even know what their selling! They bought the rifle from an OP and don't have a clue about it. And, this is in big game state Colorado!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg