Is a Cape Buffalo Cow hunt worth it?

Anvil

Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
Hi Everyone,
I’m heading to Zim to hunt Cape Buffalo in a few weeks with Sentinel Limpopo Safaris. Right now my wish list is a buff bull, buff cow, impala, and a warthog.

I’ve been on two plains game Safaris in Namibia with Keerweder Safaris (great folks by the way). So that’s why my list isn’t heavy on pg.

This will be my first dangerous game hunt. The way it is booked is for a 5 day buffalo bull package where I added the cow to get more buff hunting in. Then 5 days plains game(my dad has a bigger plains game bag than me).

My question is, can hunting buffalo cows offer a similar level of excitement as hunting bulls? The cow will be non exportable. So the point is purely for a good hunt.

Thanks for the input!

More buffalo hunting cant be wrong!! However, I would say consider maybe add a few more PG species you dont have or better versions of what you already have versus adding a cape cow. Either way you cant go wrong!

You are right it adds more buff hunting and if that’s your goal then go for it!

I’m with Phillip. Nothing quite like poking around those big black buggers.

Hi Everyone,
I’m heading to Zim to hunt Cape Buffalo in a few weeks with Sentinel Limpopo Safaris. Right now my wish list is a buff bull, buff cow, impala, and a warthog.

I’ve been on two plains game Safaris in Namibia with Keerweder Safaris (great folks by the way). So that’s why my list isn’t heavy on pg.

This will be my first dangerous game hunt. The way it is booked is for a 5 day buffalo bull package where I added the cow to get more buff hunting in. Then 5 days plains game(my dad has a bigger plains game bag than me).

My question is, can hunting buffalo cows offer a similar level of excitement as hunting bulls? The cow will be non exportable. So the point is purely for a good hunt.

Thanks for the input!

Cow buff can be a lot of fun. Hope you enjoy your whole DG hunt.

Thanks for the replies. I’ve seen videos of cow hunts that looked like a lot of fun and others that, let us just say, could be replicated on other species for a lot less money.

If I were to skip the cow then I could get a nice zebra + shoulder mount that my wife wants me to get. But I use that as my excuse for “next time.” So realistically I would probably go after waterbuck since I find myself drawn to them and haven’t had the opportunity to hunt them yet.

I think I’ll just be forward with my PH about wanting as much good buffalo hunting as possible and see what he says.

I just don’t want to get to 150 yards of a herd and be told to take the cow on the outside because I “want” a cow. I want buffalo hunting.

The real answer to this questions are on proffesional PH's who have experience in numerous cape buffalo hunts?
Is there a difference in cow temper, compared to bull's?
Approach, and stalking?
Chances of charge cow or bull?
Which one is more dangerous if wounded?

Charges and Wounding: What will hurt more, being hit by 600KG or 800KG? Both have horns they are willing to use.
Charges: What are more protective animals?: Matriarchal herds or Bachelor herds.
Approaching: What is harder to stalk, a small herd of 4 animals or a herd of 60 80 or 200?

I just don’t want to get to 150 yards of a herd and be told to take the cow on the outside because I “want” a cow. I want buffalo hunting.

Tell the PH what you are wanting to do and make sure you are on the same page and go have some fun. You are the guy on the trigger! :)

Anvil, see how it plays out. If you see a nice waterbuck or zebra, take them. Then you can do another buff on your NEXT safari.
By the way, on my first safari, I really didn't have a desire to shoot a waterbuck. But, I'm glad I did. Beautiful facial markings. In fact as I key this, he is over my right shoulder.

Reactions: crs
Thanks for the replies. I’ve seen videos of cow hunts that looked like a lot of fun and others that, let us just say, could be replicated on other species for a lot less money.

If I were to skip the cow then I could get a nice zebra + shoulder mount that my wife wants me to get. But I use that as my excuse for “next time.” So realistically I would probably go after waterbuck since I find myself drawn to them and haven’t had the opportunity to hunt them yet.

I think I’ll just be forward with my PH about wanting as much good buffalo hunting as possible and see what he says.

With the five-day and five-day split it sounds like you are hunting different areas for PG and DG? Or does that plan simply offer a break on daily rates? In any case, I would not over think this. Focus on the bull. You may get him the first day and then again, you may still be struggling to close with old dagga boy the afternoon of day five. Once he is down, then make a decision. If you have time to play with in the DG area with little opportunity at PG, then you could choose to go after that cow or perhaps curtail the buffalo portion and move those days to hunting PG. It is also not uncommon to take two buffalo in the same encounter. You may very well find your bull down and an old cow staring at the commotion a short distance away. Your PH will be resetting the sticks and the decision could be on you that quickly.

And I second the waterbuck recommendation. You will be in an area where you can take him in his natural habitat - lots of folks never get that opportunity, and hunt them where they have been introduced on game farms/ranches. I would also note that you will be in bushbuck country. They are pretty scarce in Namibia, so if you did not get one there, it would be high on my list (higher than a buff cow).

I’ve hunted both cows and bulls. In my view, there is no difference in the two hunts. Not even size - I shot a 42 inch cow a couple of years ago - bigger than all the bulls I’ve taken but one. As for temper, the cow was the worst tempered of all, with the one exception of a bull which I wounded, and which didn’t appreciate it. The only thing which separates them is the boss on the bulls. Whether that matters is up to you. Since you won’t be exporting the cow, I assume not.

If I could get a good price, since I don’t need another trophy, I’d hunt cows all day long.

Thanks again for everyone's input. I am currently in the over planning stage since I am less than 6 weeks out. You guys have given me some good things to think about, I appreciate it. Hank, your experience was exactly what I wanted to hear.

Red Leg, we will be hunting two separate locations. The second location for plains game is supposed to have quite good bushbuck and waterbuck. For that portion of the trip we will be hunting 2x1 and my dad has a longer list for plains game than I do. Hopefully he is able to get a good start on it at the first location.

Thanks again for everyone's input. I am currently in the over planning stage since I am less than 6 weeks out. You guys have given me some good things to think about, I appreciate it. Hank, your experience was exactly what I wanted to hear.

Red Leg, we will be hunting two separate locations. The second location for plains game is supposed to have quite good bushbuck and waterbuck. For that portion of the trip we will be hunting 2x1 and my dad has a longer list for plains game than I do. Hopefully he is able to get a good start on it at the first location.
I have never hunted buffalo, although that changes about the same time as you go out.
I have handled their distant and tame cousins a lot though. First off the difference between getting charged by a 1100 lb animal vs a 1600 lb animal is purely academic. You are so overmatched physically that it does not matter. Females tend to be more protective, males more territorial, but when you are under one furiously trying to get out from underneath one, motives are academic as well.

It only really matters if you are trying to avoid a confrontation, not if you are actively looking to start one.

Again, just speaking from my personal experience owning and handling cattle, but the cow hunt may end up being the much more challenging of the two buffalo you hunt. Lots more eyes, ears, and noses to bust you.

Twice in this thread it has been stated that the cow cannot be exported.

Is that country specific?

I know that in South Africa cow trophies have been exported, so ???

Twice in this thread it has been stated that the cow cannot be exported.

Is that country specific?

I know that in South Africa cow trophies have been exported, so ???
I’ve never heard that. Certainly it’s not an African rule - I’ve exported a cow (parts), and it’s not a Canadian rule . . . So is it a rule?

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the input!
So how did the hunt go? Did you hunt a cow Buffalo?

Last edited:
Thread was started in 2018 so quite old.
For a limited budget buff cows in the right areas are well worth it remember they take care of the herd and young ones so they are extra awake while bulls sometimes are scared of nothing.

I know of much more people being cashed by buff cows when hunting than bulls in South Africa.

Thread was started in 2018 so quite old.
For a limited budget buff cows in the right areas are well worth it remember they take care of the herd and young ones so they are extra awake while bulls sometimes are scared of nothing.

I know of much more people being cashed by buff cows when hunting than bulls in South Africa.
Yea, I am curious how it went back in 2018 or whenever. What he decided? How it went? Would he hunt cow Buffalo again if he did hunt one.

I will hunt Buffalo again and was wondering about this same thing. We can see the question and the people's answers but never got the authors result/impression. Well, unless he did a hunt report. I shall look for one.

I will easily hunt another cow buff anytime with an itchy finger like mine the budget makes it much quicker to get there.

Sure I will hunt a bull one day but I will keep practising on cows in the meantime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg