Albert GRANT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Canada, Ireland
I had a recent chat with Ruger regarding large caliber rifles, left hand offerings, and the lack of the stainless/grey laminate combo in the M77/No. 1 that was so popular a while back and impossible to find used now. What makes this intereting is that I had sent a message through their website out of frustration while I was looking at their current offerings, but instead of a generic reply email, I got a call from a company rep. He wanted me to tell him exactly what I was disappointed with, what I would like to see, and what I had been hearing was in demand. He did give me the standard- high demand, limited materials line that everyone does now, but the fact that I got the call instead of an email reply and he said that the conversation was going to go to sales and marketing, product development and upper management makes me think Ruger is realizing they are losing some of their customer base and are looking to make some changes to bring us back in. I think everyone who reads this should go on their website and submit a message lettting them know what you think and what you want to see. It will be interesting to see if you all get a call back. The more they hear about this, the more likely they will do something about it.

There's a big void in gun world when it comes to affordable large caliber hunting rifles. Ruger used to be a staple in that market but I haven't seen a new Ruger bolt action rifle available in something bigger than .30 caliber in a several years. It's even worse if you need something left handed.

There's a big void in gun world when it comes to affordable large caliber hunting rifles. Ruger used to be a staple in that market but I haven't seen a new Ruger bolt action rifle available in something bigger than .30 caliber in a several years. It's even worse if you need something left handed.
I'm a lefty and I agree with you for the most part. They aren't even making any left handed models in 270 Win or 7mm mag. The one exception is 375 Ruger. They have three versions of it in Left handed. I own one and it has worked well for me. I'm going to have to drop them a message some time.

I sure wish they’d build a leftie .416 Ruger in the African. Know who’d stand in line for the first one!
Send a message on the website and let them know! I said the same thing to them.

in other words; KEEP the pressure on, both through your dealer, and direct to Ruger !!
I wonder what other major manufacturers will respond similarly?
EXACTLY!

I had a recent chat with Ruger regarding large caliber rifles, left hand offerings, and the lack of the stainless/grey laminate combo in the M77/No. 1 that was so popular a while back and impossible to find used now. What makes this intereting is that I had sent a message through their website out of frustration while I was looking at their current offerings, but instead of a generic reply email, I got a call from a company rep. He wanted me to tell him exactly what I was disappointed with, what I would like to see, and what I had been hearing was in demand. He did give me the standard- high demand, limited materials line that everyone does now, but the fact that I got the call instead of an email reply and he said that the conversation was going to go to sales and marketing, product development and upper management makes me think Ruger is realizing they are losing some of their customer base and are looking to make some changes to bring us back in. I think everyone who reads this should go on their website and submit a message lettting them know what you think and what you want to see. It will be interesting to see if you all get a call back. The more they hear about this, the more likely they will do something about it.
Albert I have a similar story from several years back and in my case the website questions I had went all the way to the company president. So I think your thoughts are correct and that Ruger will take your comments seriously.

Just another thought for the lefty you can’t beat the No 1. I currently have four No 1s in calibers all the way up to 375 H&H. I had one in 458 Lott but sold it when I bought a double.

Albert I have a similar story from several years back and in my case the website questions I had went all the way to the company president. So I think your thoughts are correct and that Ruger will take your comments seriously.

Just another thought for the lefty you can’t beat the No 1. I currently have four No 1s in calibers all the way up to 375 H&H. I had one in 458 Lott but sold it when I bought a double.
Charlie,
It doesn't surprise me that you would have had the conversation with them, I know how much you like the stainless/grey laminate combo and the No. 1's! I agree, the No. 1 is a good option as well, however that was another topic of discussion we had- the fact that it is now limited production in the best of times and only in select chamberings. Hopefully they are listening and get A LOT more feedback from guys on here and actually do something about it!

Charlie,
It doesn't surprise me that you would have had the conversation with them, I know how much you like the stainless/grey laminate combo and the No. 1's! I agree, the No. 1 is a good option as well, however that was another topic of discussion we had- the fact that it is now limited production in the best of times and only in select chamberings. Hopefully they are listening and get A LOT more feedback from guys on here and actually do something about it!
At the time I was trying to get the Guide Gun in 416 Ruger and they were not available. They built it for me and shipped it to my local FFL.

At the time I was trying to get the Guide Gun in 416 Ruger and they were not available. They built it for me and shipped it to my local FFL.

I have always liked Ruger, anytime I have had to send something in for repair, which has not been frequent, it has been free and quick. Hopefully they are willing to listen and go back to their roots to some degree!

I have always liked Ruger, anytime I have had to send something in for repair, which has not been frequent, it has been free and quick. Hopefully they are willing to listen and go back to their roots to some degree!
Their former western USA sales rep, now retired told me some years back that the No 1s had gotten to a place where they weren’t profitable to build given what the market would support in price. Times have changed now and given what people pay on the secondary market maybe they could make a few runs.

I'm a lefty and I agree with you for the most part. They aren't even making any left handed models in 270 Win or 7mm mag. The one exception is 375 Ruger. They have three versions of it in Left handed. I own one and it has worked well for me. I'm going to have to drop them a message some time.
2 versions- .375 Ruger is only offered in the Hawkeye Safari and Guide gun in LH- the only chambering they offer in LH for either, btw. Then they only have 6.5 creedmoor and .300 win mag in the Hawkeye Hunter model only, just the .308 in both the American standard and Scout, and .243, 6.5 creedmoor, 7mm-08 and .308 in the American Predator. That's it for lefties now- no other models or chamberings- no .204, 7 mag, none of the PRC cartridges, .416, etc. But hey, they do make a semi auto, self loading, 10/22 in left hand now, so we should be happy right? Still trying to figure out how there was a higher demand for that with lefties than more offerings in the Hawkeye series.... LOL.

Like most of you I have some pretty nice rifles including some custom builds. As much as I like those rifles it's hard to beat a basic Ruger M77 bolt action rifle for hunting. They're durable and usually pretty accurate. Ruger needs to ease up a bit on the cheaper American series and get back to building old school rifles in calibers suitable for game bigger than whitetail deer.

With the younger generation mostly only interested in cheap/military/AR15 rifles, the kind of rifles that us hunters are interested in are a dying breed. I wouldn't be surprised if Ruger completely drops the M77 in favor of the less expensive American model rifles. Sad. But a sign of the times we're in.

Asked importer here a couple of years back, if they could check which nr 1 around, only they could get was .450 Bm

No .400 ,no 9,3 , no .375 Ruger and similar.nothing. Just was a desert of models . And no bolt actions they could get either .

Like most of you I have some pretty nice rifles including some custom builds. As much as I like those rifles it's hard to beat a basic Ruger M77 bolt action rifle for hunting. They're durable and usually pretty accurate. Ruger needs to ease up a bit on the cheaper American series and get back to building old school rifles in calibers suitable for game bigger than whitetail deer.
This!

With the younger generation mostly only interested in cheap/military/AR15 rifles, the kind of rifles that us hunters are interested in are a dying breed. I wouldn't be surprised if Ruger completely drops the M77 in favor of the less expensive American model rifles. Sad. But a sign of the times we're in.
That would likely usher in the end of my time with new Ruger rifles. I tried a couple of the early American models, didn't keep them long, and have given them a wide berth ever since.
Revolvers are still good so far, they haven't messed with those yet.

Asked importer here a couple of years back, if they could check which nr 1 around, only they could get was .450 Bm

No .400 ,no 9,3 , no .375 Ruger and similar.nothing. Just was a desert of models . And no bolt actions they could get either .
Sad and frustrating isn't it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryceLebro

Latest profile posts

sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?
We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!