IMPORTANT: Immediate Changes to South African Firearm Registration Guidelines for American Hunters

Just for everyone's information, I went to the CBP office at Denver international airport today to get my 4457 forms checked. The officers there knew about the issue with south Africa.

They confirmed SA is demanding a current form that has not expired.

IF you have an old 4457, why could you not fax or scan or snail mail the out of date one and have the information transferred to a newer form and have been t returned to you. Already proof from the old one is f your possession of firearms, customs should cooperate and issue an u to date form

Because Customs need to inspect the items that they are placing on the form.

Much too simple to just be able to hand them the old one to get a new one.

It is 2+ hours one way for me but I will be going since I am headed to SA in May and will take a different rifle. I plan to get new ones for both rifles and all electronics.

Inspect for what, if it is the same items and serial number, what difference would it make....or just government distrust...

How long did it take a steamer to get to Africa and then take the overland route on old trading "roads" then hunt out of tents where you could wind up a midnight snack? We bitch about a couple forms, eight hour drive, bunch of paperwork, yada yada yada. When I was back in high school sitting in the back of the class reading safari stories in Field & Stream, only the extremely rich could afford Africa. Now blue collar guys are experiencing the adventure. Cripes, we're spoiled. :D

How long did it take a steamer to get to Africa and then take the overland route on old trading "roads" then hunt out of tents where you could wind up a midnight snack? We bitch about a couple forms, eight hour drive, bunch of paperwork, yada yada yada. When I was back in high school sitting in the back of the class reading safari stories in Field & Stream, only the extremely rich could afford Africa. Now blue collar guys are experiencing the adventure. Cripes, we're spoiled. :D

These were the wealthy hunters back then, they took 6 months to a year off to go on their safaris. You never did hear of a common man going over that way, they just couldn't afford it. Right now for a lot of people that work for a living having to take a day off of work just to get a form filled out and stamped is a major deal.

One of the things that makes it affordable to the blue collar guys is that we can fly over and do a week long hunt and then fly back and only be off the job for 2 weeks or less. Then it is back to the salt mine for 10 more years to make some more money to try another trip

The US Government in all forms is run by jackasses who could not make it in the real world. The exception being our President of course.
Only a dumbass US government agency would put an expiration date on a form THAT IS NOT AN EXPIRATION DATE!!!!
Frustrated and headed for a 2 hour drive to see a very nice gentleman who will stamp my new form for me with no hassle of any kind, of course with the exception of the FOUR HOUR ROUNDTRIP journey to get this done!
Regards,
Philip
PS. Sorry but I detest govt.

You are not the only one who has a 4 hour trip to get it done. I was hoping to use some of my old forms but not now.
While I might complain at least I am going to SA again! :) :)

Regards to CBP 4457....
After reading the first warning post, I called my local CBP Office, this is a case of....location....office...common sense....first was to advise the agent of what was going on in south africa, regards to the 4457..., and agreeing with the fact that the CBP 5457 was for USA use only...yada...yada...yada
Secondly... his comments about SA.
Third..all I was required to do was bring my downloaded 4457 by the office, copy the information as it appeared on the previously stamped 4457, . .in the end he stamped and signed my new 4457...with only a more words toward the idiotcy of SAPS.
I contacted my meet and greet folks....plug for Henry Rifle Permits...Sent my newly issued 4457 to them and once again all is good.(HOPEFULLY). Still have 40 days till departure to SA.

my question is this,if your gun permit is ready and waiting when you get there regardless what 4457 you sent to your meet and greet people,can sap refuse you and your guns entry?who would you contact?ive tried saps on line and i get no response.

I called customs yesterday and they insisted I had to bring the guns with me. Totally fu---stupid. Why would I need to bring the same damn guns for them to inspect again. So what am I going to do bring back different guns that are not on the 4457:Finger:

my question is this,if your gun permit is ready and waiting when you get there regardless what 4457 you sent to your meet and greet people,can sap refuse you and your guns entry?who would you contact?ive tried saps on line and i get no response.
Good question sir.

Guess I am one of the lucky ones, CBP office 20 minutes away in Anacortes, WA, a seaport. A bennie of living near so many ports, I can find a CBP office in any number of towns around here, none farther than hour. I need to get one rifle on the form anyway so may as well get the other one on a new form as well just in case I have to deal with SAPS on the way to Namibia, though we have no layover in JO. If I was taking the same rifles to Namibia that I took to RSA last time I would just use the same forms "expired" or not.

I received information from one of the permitting services a client of mine used and since their permit had already been issued they said it would be fine - no need to do anything further. I would suggest you contact your permitting service as they should have or be able to get the correct answer.

Just checking all my 4457's camera, binoculars, rifle. Dated 2012 thru 2016 I have to redo all. Thank you for the heads up. Mozambique in July

Visited my customs office today with the form I printed from the website. The Tulsa customs agent knew nothing about the situation and all their forms were dated 2012. I only renewed the 08/31/2019 form for my rifle.

Until South Africa, SAPS, understand what and why the 4457 exists in the first place, and the reason information concerning the"expiration date" and the fallacy of an issue date within 6 months of travel, then this will be a yearly PIA, but a necessary step in taking a rifle to SA. I would think a letter from CUSTOMS AND HOMELAND SECURITY to SAPS detailing the 4457 would alter their PIA requirements for the 4457. Of course that would never happen, but gives a warm thought tho.

I've never had a request to see a 4457 at SAPS. Unless you are trying to get your permit when you get there, it SHOULDN'T be an issue. If the permit is there, I would GUESS you are good to go BUT I will have an updated 4457 to cover my keister.

I called customs yesterday and they insisted I had to bring the guns with me. Totally fu---stupid. Why would I need to bring the same damn guns for them to inspect again. So what am I going to do bring back different guns that are not on the 4457:Finger:

Which CBP office are you dealing with? All of your info is in the computer. Unless there is a material change, an address for example, they should be able to look it up to verify the information and stamp a new form. It's a long shot but I'd ask to speak with supervisor or someone in the field office. Failing that, I'd be on the phone with my U.S. Representative or Senator constituent services. Believe me, it works. My motto is if they want to be a pain in my ass, I'm going to be one in their ass too.

Went to JFK airport to visit CBP and redo my 4457. Honestly CBP in all my dealings have been curtious and professional. This morning was no different. They seemed a bit surprised by South Africa's new requirement but they were happy to abilge. One officer actually agreed with SAPS decision stating " its expired" so on and so on. The other officer was much more interested in the guns and scopes, he was a newbie from what I was gathering. Glad I brought the guns with me because they said they had to reinspect them:confused:. Anyway I downloaded the forms and shrunk them to pad size...nope! They had to use there official pad... problem was there pad forms expired in 1999. Couldn't find anything current. So they went on their website and downloaded the form...8x10! After leaving them I went and had the 3 forms laminated ( they wanted one gun per form) geezzz. I stuck them into the bottom of the foam in my gun case. Have to do this again in 2019. Stupid really.

Which CBP office are you dealing with? All of your info is in the computer. Unless there is a material change, an address for example, they should be able to look it up to verify the information and stamp a new form. It's a long shot but I'd ask to speak with supervisor or someone in the field office. Failing that, I'd be on the phone with my U.S. Representative or Senator constituent services. Believe me, it works. My motto is if they want to be a pain in my ass, I'm going to be one in their ass too.
Nope had to see my guns! Pain in the ass for sure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrillGl

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg