Import of Firearms into Namibia

I had the same experience, couldn't have been more pleased.
Just to be clear
i am talking about South Africa, my clients come into OR Tambo international
have only had good experiences there no hassles
and i do about 30 clients a year

Just to be clear
i am talking about South Africa, my clients come into OR Tambo international
have only had good experiences there no hassles
and i do about 30 clients a year
You've made it clear now my friend, the tread was about Namibia. Cheers.

Hi all

i know the thread is about namibia
i was just making the point that actually i have never had any real issues at Johannesburg international
in 10 years i havent had any major issues
i have taken clients to Namibia too and too be honest i would say it probably took longer in Namibia to get my weapons

kind regards

Hi all

i was just making the point that actually i have never had any real issues at Johannesburg international
i have taken clients to Namibia too and too be honest i would say it probably took longer in Namibia to get my weapons

kind regards
Well, although I haven't traveled through Johannesburg myself with firearms (nor do I plan on doing so), friends and family have not been so fortunate as your clients. I can't imagine getting through faster than I have. Be that as it may, good hunting and me safe my friend.

It will be interesting to see how the new computer system helps speed the process along.

I have been to Namibia, twice in the last two years. Even without the pre clearance took less time than SA. The first time was waiting for the police office to show and the second time, she was there and so was my gun case.
One page versus 8 pages. Go Figure

This is the way it SHOULD be done, respect and honor on both sides, and a fine welcome. Namibia HAS to be my next Safari, funds and opportunity permitting....

I have been to Namibia twice in the last couple of years and the oly problem I had was, the first time, how long it took for the police to arrive to check the rifle. The second time was like 5 minutes at the max. Very fast.

I would love to see that happening. But considering that one has to grease the wheels in RSA or get a pre-approved firearms importation permit that sets you back about US $100.00, Namibia it's an excellent deal already. It has just moved back at the top of my list for the next safari.
V.,
My PH thata I hunt with in RSA does the weapons permit in advance for me. He has never charged me, at least on paper, for it.

Hi all

kind regards
You don't know what you are talking about!
RSA is a full blown gun permit that is best done in advance at the cost of $120. It actually cost me $195 total and hours of work and planning. (Notarized passport copy fedexed to Africa!)

Namibia is nothing! You just get a form in the police office for free, fill it out, and go!
Sorry man but Namibia rocks!
Regards,
Philip

Update.
I have just pass through RSA custom with rifles less than a month ago.
We booked a night at Afton House as we arrived very late in the day, so we have selected the pre-approved importation permit service offered by Afton House for $100 US.
Long story short, we had to fill in the Saps 520 forms at home, include a scanned copy of the: passport, invitation to hunt, flight tickets, Canada (US) firearms/ammo export permit and email them to the Afton House. (Notarized copies were not required!) Their rep reviewed the paperwork and requested corrections to be made as required (apparently the Saps 520 should be already signed when submitted - page 6. I assumed that they have to be signed in front of a police officer, but that applies only if you don't chose the pre-approval importation permit).

The Afton House rep met us at the airport and took us to the Police Office to recover the rifle cases. We have been handed the Saps 520 forms, asked to open the rifle cases in order to compare the serial number off the rifle with the one recorded on the form, closed the cases and we were on our way. Technically it was quicker than it took me to type all this up. The police officers didn't even bother to stand up and look into the rifle cases. Our rep confirmed and verified everything.

$100.00 US later, it was a very pleasant experience. It might have helped the fact that we were the only group of hunters with rifle cases on that flight. Next time I might go the "solo" route since I already have a sample of Saps 520 that I know for fact it was filled in correctly. Unless we have to stay overnight at Afton House, of course.
(FYI: the pre-approved importation permit and one night at Afton House was $2,600 ZAR = $275 CAD at the time).

Interestingly, I asked my PH who I will hunting in Namibia with this summer about this new online deal. He said forget it, just bring your paperwork, less chance of problems.

Just after Easter; 3 hunters, 3 rifles, less then 20minutes at SAPS, we had filled in the form in advance (took maybe 10minutes-come on-this is really not difficult....); absolutely no hints of bribes, fees or soft-drinks being required.
Leaving was even easier; less then 5 minutes.

What is proof of legal export? Every time I've traveled I put the rifle and the ammo in the case and that was that. Never had any export permit. And what is proof the gun is licensed in the home country? I go to the gun store and buy the gun. No license involved. Perhaps the 4457 takes care of it all?

Pretty sure the 4457 does indeed pass for proof of ownership just about everywhere, its just odd wording and perhaps they don't understand that not everyone has to register or license their guns.

I just sent the forms off for my Buffalo/Hippo/Elephant hunt in September. I'll report back on how the process goes.

You don't know what you are talking about!
RSA is a full blown gun permit that is best done in advance at the cost of $120. It actually cost me $195 total and hours of work and planning. (Notarized passport copy fedexed to Africa!)

Namibia is nothing! You just get a form in the police office for free, fill it out, and go!
Sorry man but Namibia rocks!
Regards,
Philip

So phillip
Seems if i read posts by other people im not the only one who "doesnt know what he is talking about"
Maybe its you who doesnt know????
If all paperwork is in order SAPS is a breeze
Stuart

Namibia was already tied for easiest firearms entry - if this actually works, good for them - they might end up as sole holder of first place.

BTW, the other country tied for first place is Zimbabwe. Funny that they can get that part done correctly. Can't get anything else right.

So phillip
Seems if i read posts by other people im not the only one who "doesnt know what he is talking about"
Maybe its you who doesnt know????
If all paperwork is in order SAPS is a breeze
Stuart

Phillip is correct, the RSA paperwork is a joke. In addition to everything he mentioned I also had to take a day off of work (unpaid) to get a new form 4457 with an updated stamp, that the SAPS now requires. With all the SAPS fees, permit service fees and unpaid time from work, fuel to drive 8 hours to get the new 4457 I will spend nearly $1000.00 for my RSA gun permits. You say the SAPS system "is a breeze if done correctly", the problem is that it is very time consuming and expensive.

With all due respect Tally-Ho, spend your time lobbying to make the system better in RSA instead of telling hunters they are wrong and the system is so great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg