If you had a Charles Daly Zastava 98 action, what would you build it into?

Josh P

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunted
United States, Canada
The action is currently barreled in .308, appears to be in good order, etc. Would you re-barrel to a 458WM? Something else entirely? The thought is to abandon a non-yet-begun M70 30-06 conversion to 458, and just go with the 98 as the base. Am I completely off my rocker? What other options am I looking over?

I may be wrong but I don’t believe Zastava make a short action, so yours is likely a standard length action with the non magnum bolt face and extractor. With a new magazine box and follower I would go with a 9.3x62. Based on my personal needs a 6.5x55 would be my second choice.

It was definitely a 3rd party barrel on the action, and there would have been some work involved, but it's projected to be a slow summer. Ended up passing for some other opportunities from the same sale, and because I didn't have time to go check it out hands on first.

It was definitely a 3rd party barrel on the action, and there would have been some work involved, but it's projected to be a slow summer. Ended up passing for some other opportunities from the same sale, and because I didn't have time to go check it out hands on first.

I'd consider the labor invested, the quality and value of the components you have, and the value of the output.

In light of those factors, I'd make it a small or medium bore and enjoy, particularly if it requires less work to the bolt face, feed, and magazine.

The juice just doesn't seem worth the squeeze to go through the aggravation of making a large bore on that action, wait until you get a magnum length action and extended bottom metal before going through the trouble of a largebore so you can get a true magnum-length cartridge in it.

I’d consider an 8x68.

I may be wrong but I don’t believe Zastava make a short action, so yours is likely a standard length action with the non magnum bolt face and extractor. With a new magazine box and follower I would go with a 9.3x62. Based on my personal needs a 6.5x55 would be my second choice.
You probably won’t even need a new magazine/floorplate.

I'd consider the labor invested, the quality and value of the components you have, and the value of the output.

In light of those factors, I'd make it a small or medium bore and enjoy, particularly if it requires less work to the bolt face, feed, and magazine.

The juice just doesn't seem worth the squeeze to go through the aggravation of making a large bore on that action, wait until you get a magnum length action and extended bottom metal before going through the trouble of a largebore so you can get a true magnum-length cartridge in it.
Another relevant bit of info is that I work for an unnamed, multiple class FFL holder. When time is not an urgent factor, the labor can be chalked up to R&D, OTJ training, etc. It definitely opens up more possibilities without necessarily gauging the pocketbook, and gives me an excuse to learn something beyond the normal scope of the day's duties. Nobody is giving guns away these days, but when something becomes available at a reasonable price, sometimes a little bit of brainstorming is warranted.

Another relevant bit of info is that I work for an unnamed, multiple class FFL holder. When time is not an urgent factor, the labor can be chalked up to R&D, OTJ training, etc. It definitely opens up more possibilities without necessarily gauging the pocketbook, and gives me an excuse to learn something beyond the normal scope of the day's duties. Nobody is giving guns away these days, but when something becomes available at a reasonable price, sometimes a little bit of brainstorming is warranted.

Understood. I was trying to convey your labor has worth. You can spend $10,000 of your valuable labor (I treat it like dollars hard cash) and use a Zastava action, and in the end you made a largebore like a 458WM or 416Ruger, and the gun no matter how nice...is worth $600 at a pawnshop.

OR

You can wait for a true magnum action someday, apply the same labor, and make a final product with better donor parts to have a masterpiece at the end of the journey.

But if you make a smallbore off the Zastava, its probably less effort to make and the value of the completed work isn't so wildly lopsided as it is trying to shove a not-quite-right magnum largebore cartridge into a set of parts not really destined for such duties.

Understood. I was trying to convey your labor has worth. You can spend $10,000 of your valuable labor (I treat it like dollars hard cash) and use a Zastava action, and in the end you made a largebore like a 458WM or 416Ruger, and the gun no matter how nice...is worth $600 at a pawnshop.

OR

You can wait for a true magnum action someday, apply the same labor, and make a final product with better donor parts to have a masterpiece at the end of the journey.
You are absolutely correct. Sometimes the juice is not worth the squeeze. Sometimes you're squeezing regardless, so you might as well collect the juice.

I agree with @rookhawk. It’s not worth the money involved in making your .308 into a magnum. Find a .375 or .458WM Zastava. They’re still “relatively” inexpensive when comparing even the cost to the former inexpensive CZ550. I have a .375, .458 and semi custom .416 Taylor Whitworths (Zastava). OR, find one in 7mmRM or .300WM and build anything with the same case dimensions up to and including .458WM? Just need a new barrel as that family of cartridges have the same case dimensions, so no magazine box or rail modifying needed.

I have a magnum bolt face Zastava Mk X. It was originally a 300 Win Mag. It is going to become a 7mm PRC. Just needs a re-barrel. No action modifications required.

I'm building a 404 Jeffery on an 8mm BRNO vz.24 (Mauser 98). Duane Weibe in Bellingham has published a nifty little booklet to assist. $25 well invested. He spoke to me on the phone and was very encouraging. I bought a 416 Rem bottom metal from Blackburn-Swift that I have to open slightly to get the shoulders of 404 cartridges to stack perfectly in magazine. Reshaping the front ring (only slightly), opening the bolt face, and of course making the barrel will all have to be done by professionals because I don't have the machinery. I will extend the loading port and reshape the feeding rails once the barrel is on it. I have a Shopsmith that might be adequate for trimming the front ring but it would require removing the 30-06 barrel on the receiver now. There are complicated reasons why I don't want to do that at this juncture.

@Von Gruff has done the same build. In fact, the first rifles in that caliber were built by Jeffery on standard Mauser 98 actions. As mentioned in another thread, Ruark's PH Harry Selby hunted most of his career with a standard 98 converted to 416 Rigby. So it is doable. It will give you a lighter gun with shorter cycling stroke. Not a bad thing ... if you are not recoil adverse.

Just finished fitting the recoil pad yesterday. I ordered a fancy Pachmayer "Old English" style pad and wound up grinding into the vacant interior recoil absorbing pocket. Tossed it. Dug out an old one I salvaged years ago from my old 870 magnum goose gun when wood collapsed the second time and I switched it to syntheyic. Not very classic looking but it will work. I have a guy out on New Brunswick who is a bluing artist. Can't wait to get it to him. Still waiting on the barrel. Today I'll do sling swivels and start with oil finish on stock.
2087857309_20230612_185005_1142132_resized.jpg

As a fan & owner of 4 Zastava m98 called the mod 70 i would suggest you try to obtain a 375 or 458 action

I ended up passing on this deal entirely. I probably had a couple wires crossed when I was looking into what I wanted to do with the thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross