If you could choose: Brno Z, ZG 47, ZKK or Cz 550??

Hi Colorado,

For a long Magnum length action, at a normal price, to me, there are no others than the BRNO 602/CZ550.
You're right. The new original mauser magnum action is in the price stratosphere. Hard to beat a cz there .

Is the ZG47 really that superior to a DWM Argentino, FN System or a between-wars (say a 1937 or 1941 Portugal) Oberndorfer ?
No.
It starts to dawn on me that the ZG47 is nowadays far too hyped... As is the Z 21 Brno. I mean it still has that cheap CZ East block image and "flavor", doesn't it ?
The ZG may be overhyped but so are many of the "desirable" Mausers. The ZG may not be any better but quality of steel has been improving with time, so they are definitely no worse than any of the old Mausers.

And I really disagree about the Z 21 Brnos. They truly are the nicest Brnos produced and IMO the nicest small ring Mausers anywhere. Again, some may be overpriced but they are harder to find in good shape. And finally, "Cheap CZ East Block image?" LOL. Certainly not the Z 21.
... the biggest advantage that the ZG 47 has over the other Mauser actions mentioned by you is that they come with the bridges of the action already machined at the factory to accept mounts. This provides a very tidy solution to scope mounting.

Other than that, I am not convinced that the quality of the action is any better than the Obendorf, DWM, FN commercial, or even VZ 24 Brno actions made before and after WW2.
Well put. I have always thought the ZG was the "best" Mauser one could get. Strong, slick, integral scope mounts, low profile bolt handle, adjustable trigger, quiet and easy 2-position safety. So I got me some. And while I still like all those features, they do come at the usual detriment to simplicity of the original Mauser 2 stage trigger and the wing safety. On top of that I don't understand enough about sear engagement to tell whether the old school steep angle (close to 90 degrees?) is better than the angled ones like ZG or Remington (which I think require more force to hold and thus overcome), etc. Either way, for a new rifle build I would not hesitate to use a ZG over ZKK or CZ 550. Would I use one over a Mauser or Z 21? Don't think so unless I really wanted the integral dovetails and the low profile bolt handle without modifying a Mauser/Z 21 bolt.

As to some of the other things mentioned:

The ZKK peep sight is indeed a cool feature but I'm sure it could be retro fitted to a ZG or Z 21 with the square bridge.

And as to slickness in general:

I actually went and got a Win 70 SS and a Kimber 84L SS just to compare these to the beloved Mausers and Brnos and unfortunately I have to admit I find them even slicker than my CZ 550, Z 21 or the commercial Oberndorf 98 which happen to be the slickest I have had. I would definitely pick them over ZKK/CZ 550 also. Again some/many features not to my liking but these seem like more than decent alternatives especially if you want stainless "Mauser style" action.

The Model 70 and Kimber actions seem flimsy to me compared to my CZ 550. To quote Boris the Blade in one of my favorite movies "Snatch" Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work … you can always hit them with it.

The Model 70 and Kimber actions seem flimsy to me compared to my CZ 550. To quote Boris the Blade in one of my favorite movies "Snatch" Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work … you can always hit them with it.
I thought so too and maybe they are weaker in the strength department. This has kind of been one of my main reasons for loving Brnos/CZs and Mausers and I'm not claiming the 70 and Kimber are "better", merely out of the box "slicker" than my "slicker than slick" Mauser/Brno/CZ. I will have to measure this one day somehow to see if I'm just raving mad. Maybe a simple measurement of resistance of pulling open action back/forward could tell me something. I feel Tikkas are one of if not the slickest factory push feed actions.

Plus in the end I think the 70 and Kimber are "more than strong enough" (I'm not building a big magnum, so for my purposes at least) and we know the 70 can handle at least some of the bigger African cartridges, no? So why does construction matter? The Kimber on top of everything is very slim and trim, beating even the small-ring Mausers in dimensions and weight. Please understand I'm just thinking out loud, perhaps trying to convince myself as I'm a die-hard Mauser fan.

Also, as mentioned, I'm pleased they are stainless.

A number of these (ZG 47 in 8x64) rifles were imported to NZ. I know one heathen who used the action for a custom 9.3x62. It might have something to do with him being a windsurfer? o_OZG47, I may own that one now

If you bought it off Hamish Handley, you certainly do!

Dont know if it was his, but just picked one up from Wellington work done by Allan Carr
Allan Carr did the work, complete with multiple leaf backsight as shown in your images. Hamish used Talley ring mounts. I think that it was a 1956 rifle so possibly the same one. If so, I recall that Hamish was pleased with every aspect of the rifle, including the accuracy. I suspect that he had an aftermarket trigger fitted but it would be over a dozen years since I last saw the rifle. Best of luck in the field.

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy with my CZ 550

BD0shRU.jpg

lTcDfqr.jpg
Great wood on that rifle what caliber?

I own an assortment of BRNO rifles, starting with the ZKK 602 in .375 H&H I bought new in 1970 in Germany. This is my newest acquisition, a 21F, which has been altered to suit my tastes, with a new bolt handle, a new Model 70 type safety, a new trigger guard/magazine arrangement and a new trigger. It has also been rebored from 7X64 to 8X64 Brenneke. I have not yet had the opportunity to try it out on deer.
BRNO 22F 003.jpg
BRNO 21F 006.JPG

I own an assortment of BRNO rifles, starting with the ZKK 602 in .375 H&H I bought new in 1970 in Germany. This is my newest acquisition, a 21F, which has been altered to suit my tastes, with a new bolt handle, a new Model 70 type safety, a new trigger guard/magazine arrangement and a new trigger. It has also been rebored from 7X64 to 8X64 Brenneke. I have not yet had the opportunity to try it out on deer. View attachment 454638View attachment 454643
Nice looking rifle what is the scope? I am sure it will work on everything up to and including grizzly and lion.

ZG-47 is #1.

I would choose it over any other action...
Well, a custom M98 action would be better.

Its a M98, with square bridges and a fantastic safety.

I own an assortment of BRNO rifles, starting with the ZKK 602 in .375 H&H I bought new in 1970 in Germany. This is my newest acquisition, a 21F, which has been altered to suit my tastes, with a new bolt handle, a new Model 70 type safety, a new trigger guard/magazine arrangement and a new trigger. It has also been rebored from 7X64 to 8X64 Brenneke. I have not yet had the opportunity to try it out on deer. View attachment 454638View attachment 454643
Excellent cartridge choice. I originally tried to get a ZG 47 in 8x64S but the guy who brings in good used rifles from Sweden only had rifles in .30-06 remaining on his table.

brno/cz never made a well designed stock until their "American".
too much drop at heel until then.
European rifles have suffered from this problem badly.
bruce.
A number of Scandinavian and European countries have license proficiency tests on running targets. Drop at heel for iron sight shots may be the reason for stocking the way they do? They are flat better than Americans at the running rifle shots, tho I hate to have to admit it....

Nice looking rifle what is the scope? I am sure it will work on everything up to and including grizzly and lion.
Both the scope and mount are Redfields. The scope was originally manufactured for Stith by Kollmorgen, then sold under Kollmorgen's name, then sold under Redfield's name and finally manufactured by Redfield. I have great respect for Kollmorgen's optical expertise, since they manufactured submarine periscopes for the US Navy during World War II. The scope has a post and crosshair reticle, my favorite in a big game scope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SheliaBelc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross