If the 9.3x62 became the new legal minimum?

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland

John458Lott

Reaction score
Even if the 9.3 x 62 was the legal minimum I'd still prefer my 375 H&H. I don't have a 9.3 x 62 but have its ballistic equivalent the 9.3 x 66 Sako and those who say the 9.3 are nicer to shoot have not shot one in a rifle weighing 8lb 4oz (Sako 85 Hunter with Zeiss Conquest 4x scope). The recoil (286gr Woodleigh @ $2400fps) is brutal! But that rifle was scary accurate and a dream to carry.

I much preferred shooting my 10lb 375 H&H Custom though.

I just listened to Ken Robertson's podcast and he's a big proponent of the 9.3 but his was a rifle that weighed 10 1/2 lbs. So yeah that would be nice to shoot but how many 9.3 x 62's out there are that heavy? They are generally much lighter than their 375 counterparts so I'd rate recoil about the same or worse in case of my Sako.

Christot

AH member
Reaction score
Typical weight should be somewhere between 9 and 10 pounds with scope. Felt recoil is in many cases a stock issue but not a weight issue. Recoil is not really different to a 300 winmag with 200gr bullets.

Pondoro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, Namibia and Botswana
I would choose the .375H&H over 9.3x62 simply because it is more versatile in Africa..I have had wonderful results on PG with 235 Barnes X, 260 Nosler Accubond, 270 Rem. core loct.. And you can easily take up to and including elephant with a .375 with modern bullets...300/350/380 grainers..

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
Dropped a whitetail with Sue’s highland stalker in 9.3 last night (yes I am allowed to use it!). It definitely has less felt recoil than my .375 H&H (10# custom M70). Both are great rifles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarshallLe

Latest profile posts

Rob404 wrote on Newboomer's profile.
I,d like to buy some pistol primers if they available,thanks
Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!