If the 9.3x62 became the new legal minimum?

If 9.3 was made the minimum caliber we would be having this discussion about the .35
If .35 was made the minimum caliber we would be having this discussion about the .338

The 9.3 allowed older non premium bullets to work well with controllable recoil, driving a 286gr bullet to 2500fps is counter productive.
Just get a .375 if thats what you want.

shark,
giving a 286 gn swift aframe 2500 to 2600 is very productive.
same for a 300 gn swift at 2500 to 2550.
just that you need the 9.3x64 case capacity to do it safely.
and the speeds this case will give 250 gn bullets brings lighter game into a new perspective as well.
bruce.

Why try turn your 9.3x62 into a .375 or 9.3x64? ; that is all I am saying.
The 9.3x64 is step up for sure, right into the .375 zone with the rifle weight and recoil that goes with it.
Even in South Africa you can justify getting another caliber rifle instead of making your one rifle into something it is not.
Sure the "magic" starts to happen in animals around the 2500-2600fps mark, the elusive drops in its tracks shock etc, but I think a deep hole through the vitals is more deadly after 1 minute than anything else out there. I don't believe magic can be counted on but a medium hole through vitals means I will always find my animal even if it runs a bit.
Slower bullets generally penetrate deeper as they expand less. 9.3x62 is not the whizz bang animal exploder but the reliable caliber I can count on with standard bullets for anything from Duiker to Eland.
If I shoot a Buff I will use a 286gr Rhino solid shank at 2350fps, but for anything else a simple PPU 285gr soft will perform adequately.

Why try turn your 9.3x62 into a .375 or 9.3x64? ; that is all I am saying.
The 9.3x64 is step up for sure, right into the .375 zone with the rifle weight and recoil that goes with it.
Even in South Africa you can justify getting another caliber rifle instead of making your one rifle into something it is not.
Sure the "magic" starts to happen in animals around the 2500-2600fps mark, the elusive drops in its tracks shock etc, but I think a deep hole through the vitals is more deadly after 1 minute than anything else out there. I don't believe magic can be counted on but a medium hole through vitals means I will always find my animal even if it runs a bit.
Slower bullets generally penetrate deeper as they expand less. 9.3x62 is not the whizz bang animal exploder but the reliable caliber I can count on with standard bullets for anything from Duiker to Eland.
If I shoot a Buff I will use a 286gr Rhino solid shank at 2350fps, but for anything else a simple PPU 285gr soft will perform adequately.

Wish I could buy Rhino bullets in the US. There don't appear to be any distributors. I did go to Rhino's website. Gotta say I'm quite shocked at how inexpensive those premium bullets are. 9.3 bullets look like about 38-40 USD per 100.

If 9.3 was made the minimum caliber we would be having this discussion about the .35
If .35 was made the minimum caliber we would be having this discussion about the .338

The 9.3 allowed older non premium bullets to work well with controllable recoil, driving a 286gr bullet to 2500fps is counter productive.
Just get a .375 if thats what you want.
Honestly though, I dare say 250gr Nosler E-tip fired at 2950fps out of 338LM would kill any DG just as well as any of the ancient big bores but that's not the hill I'm going to die on.

Nevertheless your thinking is flawed in sense that 9.3mm is legal minimum in some parts of Africa while .35 never was. Making the limitations consistent for each species in different countries would make selection of firearm easier. Nevertheless, we're talking about different countries, legal minimums have much more variety between countries in Europe already.

Then again, if some solution proves suitable for task at hand, shouldn't the law be changed accordingly?

this is what i have discovered using the 9.3x64.
at close ranges it is noticeably deadlier than at longer ranges.
at longer ranges it is more in the speed realm of the x62 at closer ranges.
at closer ranges with quality bullets it does not penetrate less than at longer ranges, so it does not penetrate less than a x62.
crap bullets are probably a different thing.
bruce.

Wish I could buy Rhino bullets in the US. There don't appear to be any distributors. I did go to Rhino's website. Gotta say I'm quite shocked at how inexpensive those premium bullets are. 9.3 bullets look like about 38-40 USD per 100.
The 9.3 bullets come in boxes of 25. 6.5 in 50 and only the small .224 bullets are in 100 count.
More pricey than Norma Oryx but a little less than Swift A-Frame.

Typical retail.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 9.59.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 9.59.28 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 205
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 9.59.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 9.59.30 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 209
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 9.59.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 9.59.33 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 192
If the 9.3x62 became the new legal minimum caliber for dangerous game in all of Africa:
- Would you consider replacing your 375 with a 9.3 (If you did not currently own a 9.3x62)?
- For a one rifle safari, which included plains game and Cape buffalo, would you feel comfortable with only the 9.3x62?
- For someone who owns neither, but plans on hunting Africa (someday), asks you to help them choose between the 9.3x62 and 375?

I realize this has probably been kicked around in one form or another but, was hoping to get everyone’s thoughts.
Thanks...

1. N/A.
2. YES
3. If it's only depending on logic it would be the 9,3x62 as shooting distances even on plains game should be within 200m.

Not only it's a proven cartridge for Africa before politics came into play. There are some other factors which should help not only with a bufallo but also with other dangerous game.
- Typically rifles chambered in 9,3x62 weigh less than a rifle chambered in .375. This should help concerning concentration and making a precise shot after a long stalk.
- With lesser recoil you should be faster back on target for an follow-up shot.
- Also you typically have one round more in the magazine compared to .375.
- Ammunition and rifles are cheaper in 9,2x62. Might not be a factor for everyone but for a certain percentage this should help getting more familiar with the whole set-up before hunting in Africa.

There might be a reason (or some) why the 9,3x62 is widely used for driven hunts in Europe but the 9,3x64 or .375 not even though the 9,3x64 was a popular calibre in the 80s.
Talking with the PH concerning bullet is always recommended so I don't think the bullet choice is an issue. The wrong bullet within a .375 is no different to a wrong bullet in the 9,3x62 and the .375 had exactly this issue when being introduced.
The local farmers and hunters use even smaller calibres for hunting dangerous game if I read the reports correctly so 9,3x62 would be pretty reasonable.

There might be a reason (or some) why the 9,3x62 is widely used for driven hunts in Europe but the 9,3x64 or .375 not even though the 9,3x64 was a popular calibre in the 80s.
Talking with the PH concerning bullet is always recommended so I don't think the bullet choice is an issue. The wrong bullet within a .375 is no different to a wrong bullet in the 9,3x62 and the .375 had exactly this issue when being introduced.
The local farmers and hunters use even smaller calibres for hunting dangerous game if I read the reports correctly so 9,3x62 would be pretty reasonable.
9,3x64 is excellent example of cartridge that should've excelled but ended up being almost forgotten. Then again, it doesn't have benefit of lighter recoil over 375HH and it has same limitations of legality for DG as 9,3x62. Kind of a lose-lose compromise.

9,3x64 is excellent example of cartridge that should've excelled but ended up being almost forgotten. Then again, it doesn't have benefit of lighter recoil over 375HH and it has same limitations of legality for DG as 9,3x62. Kind of a lose-lose compromise.
@samu
Same for the 358 Norma magnum. Brilliant cartridge but unfortunately not as popular as it should have been.
Bob

#allcalibersmatter
@Randy Bo
Mate sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the 243 is a caliber that don't matter. To big for small game and to small for medium game. The only use I find for 243 barrels is for tomato stakes.
Bob

@Randy Bo
Mate sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the 243 is a caliber that don't matter. To big for small game and to small for medium game. The only use I find for 243 barrels is for tomato stakes.
Bob

You are nothing if not consistent Bob!. I kinda like my .243! I don’t use it much but I did drop three deer with it last year. All one shot kills. That 100 grain bullet zips right through them.

You are nothing if not consistent Bob!. I kinda like my .243! I don’t use it much but I did drop three deer with it last year. All one shot kills. That 100 grain bullet zips right through them.

you just had to kick that hornets nest didn’t you, next you spew some blasphemy like col. Whelen wasn’t chosen by god to lead us all to the mid bore promise land.
:S Beat Dead Horse::A No Evil:

you just had to kick that hornets nest didn’t you, next you spew some blasphemy like col. Whelen wasn’t chosen by god to lead us all to the mid bore promise land.

I’m hoping Bob is not too heavily sedated to appreciate my sick Canadian sense of humor!

@Randy Bo
Bob
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
On the tomato sticks, have you seen in performance advantages in: blued vs. stainless, iron sights vs. slick or button rifled vs. hammer forged?:D

@WAB
At least you use the right projectiles. At first I thought you must have got them on the head with the but. That bullet should have been better tho and not zipped straight thru.
Bob

@Skinnersblade
But he was chosen to educate people on the virtues of the mighty mid bore. Dang even the mighty Elmer Kieth liked the 35 and the 25s.
Bob

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
On the tomato sticks, have you seen in performance advantages in: blued vs. stainless, iron sights vs. slick or button rifled vs. hammer forged?:D
@Randy Bo
The type of steel doesn't matter but iron sights tend to stop the ties sliding down the barrels. Dang I dislike that little cartridge. Attached is an excerpt from another post that agrees with the wise.
Bob
20210115_123439.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg