I have been bitten...

Don't sleep on Krieghoff as an option. I know you said you didn't like the decocker on the Blaser S2 of which Keieghoof has their own style, but it's a wonderful rifle and incredibly safe to use.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted.
I have not ruled out a K gun, I have not begun to research them so I currently have very limited knowledge of them. I would not necessarily mind a decocker as I have never used one, seems it would be easy enough to get used to. It might not be my first choice given two rifles with all else equivalent.

There is a blaser bookmarked on my laptop that I keep returning to look at. Along with Heym and Chapuis.

I've been fortunate to own 2 in my life. The first was a Chapuis 9.3x74R. It was a beautiful rifle. I ordered it through JJ/Champlin. I sold it, and later owned a fantastic Heym 88 in .375 H&H. I wouldn't own another rimless cartridge Double. My next will be either a Chapuis or a Heym. Not ready just yet, as I have another Brown Bear hunt in Alaska in September of 2023. There are many fine makers of Double Rifles to choose from. I don't believe you can go wrong with any of the better names. But, make the caliber a rimmed cartridge. You can drop the cartidges into the chambers with a satisfying "plunk", no worries!
I am definitely focusing on rimmed cartridges at this time. I love the nostalgia and performance of the original .450 NE, and I like the look of the straight walled rounds, like angry cigars. But not opposed to the .470 NE either, looks like a .375 Flanged all grown up.

Within a year of owning one, I ended up with three. ;)

Yes. I also think the smallest caliber one should get is 450/400, then you are good for almost anything. Of the brands you listed that are in production I'd go Heym, VC, Chapuis, many reviews of all on these forums.
1st world problems are not always problems!

@ET1775, you are in luck. There is a cure for your illness. However, purchasing one DR may not guarantee you will be completely cured.

Just FYI, as stated above, do not rule out Kriegoff.
I suspect the double rifle companies (we'll just call them "Big Double") don't actually want to creat a cure, they just want to manage our symptoms so we have to keep coming back for more...

Applying all the science of the moment and recognising that Covid offers a good parallel, I'm am playing it safe and going for a new double every six months. My symptoms have abated.

FN
"Trust the Science." Brilliant!

In the $8000 to $15,000 price range you targeted, you would be looking at a second hand Heym--Not sure you can get a new one for $15,000. You can get a new Chapuis in 450/400 for $15K. Check out Champlinarms.com or williamlarkinmoore.com. Also, some Beretta stores are now carrying Chapuis rifles since Chapuis is now owned by the Beretta group. The Dallas store has a nice selection.

In the $8000 to $15,000 price range you targeted, you would be looking at a second hand Heym--Not sure you can get a new one for $15,000. You can get a new Chapuis in 450/400 for $15K. Check out Champlinarms.com or williamlarkinmoore.com. Also, some Beretta stores are now carrying Chapuis rifles since Chapuis is now owned by the Beretta group. The Dallas store has a nice selection.
Yes, used Heym or blaser/new Chapuis is what I am eyeballing.
Anybody know how available second barrels are for those brands? I know the Blaser is out of production which might make it more difficult for parts, replacements, etc. but then, most classic guns are not in production either.

I'm hoping some day of getting a drilling to help ease the double rifle sickness. Simpson's always has some nice 60-70s era drillings for about $2500 maybe I can afford one someday.

I have not ruled out a K gun, I have not begun to research them so I currently have very limited knowledge of them. I would not necessarily mind a decocker as I have never used one, seems it would be easy enough to get used to. It might not be my first choice given two rifles with all else equivalent.

There is a blaser bookmarked on my laptop that I keep returning to look at. Along with Heym and Chapuis.
The Blaser option sounds good too!

Yes, used Heym or blaser/new Chapuis is what I am eyeballing.
Anybody know how available second barrels are for those brands? I know the Blaser is out of production which might make it more difficult for parts, replacements, etc. but then, most classic guns are not in production either.
Heym will make second barrels assuming the action is appropriate for the caliber. Personally, I'd just get a second double. ;)

Example: I was hunting Elephant/Buffalo/ Leopard last August. Bait for Leopard was targets of opportunity on our way to Elephant/Buffalo areas. It would have been a hassle to start the day with a PG caliber and then switch to DG caliber once we got to the area. As it was, I just grabbed the appropriate double rifle to use for the quarry at the time.

The Blaser option sounds good too!
I could post a link but I worry someone may snatch it up if it is a good one for a good price, lol. It sure looks nice though, I've seen better animal engraving but not terrible.

Heym will make second barrels assuming the action is appropriate for the caliber. Personally, I'd just get a second double. ;)

Example: I was hunting Elephant/Buffalo/ Leopard last August. Bait for Leopard was targets of opportunity on our way to Elephant/Buffalo areas. It would have been a hassle to start the day with a PG caliber and then switch to DG caliber once we got to the area. As it was, I just grabbed the appropriate double rifle to use for the quarry at the time.
Good to know about Heym. I love the look and lines and from what I have been reading, the build quality on the Heym rifles. Downside is trying to find a lightly used one in my price range.

The second barrel would mostly be for NA hunting and to get copious, less expensive trigger time with the double to master the muscle memory with the weapon, presenting from slung, low ready, port arms, acquiring sight alignment and sight picture and trigger pull. I love dry firing practice (probably more than many) but it is only part of the equation. A set of 20 gauge barrels would be fun. I have my .375 h&h for plains game and leopard.

I'm hoping some day of getting a drilling to help ease the double rifle sickness. Simpson's always has some nice 60-70s era drillings for about $2500 maybe I can afford one someday.
There is a sweet Heym drilling with two barrel sets at Champlin...

If I could find one like this I would be all over it. Coolest looking Blaser S2 I have ever seen. Of course, that one is not in stock.

@ET1775 , I have been in your shoes exactly but approached the problem from a slightly different angle; I knew exactly what I wanted after doing the research, and then just found a way to get it. Sell more stuff if necessary, but don't deviate, don't compromise. Doubles cost a lot of money and when you eventually hold that beast in your hands, there must be not a hint of regret, not s twinge of 'if only'. Wasted money is the greatest hurt. You must love that thing genuinely, period.
For me functionality was an absolute criterion. If I read anywhere of a glitch, if my engineering mind perceived a potential weakness, that one was excluded - so I chose Heym.
It had to be classic and stylish, beautiful form from every single angle, because that is what a double is; art. So I chose the Heym 89b.
It didn't need to have any adornment, the form and line were enough, I wouldn't regret not adding a game scene - I was going to hunt in the game scene! But I settled for simple edge engraving as it enhanced the line, and didn't cost much. If your budget is tight, drop it, an 89b in the nude is beautiful.
Then the hardest part, the calibre. I leaned upon the term 'necessary and sufficient'. I wanted to hunt buffalo mostly, plains game too, and maybe an occasional elephant, but be equipped so that if an elephant emergency eventuated I was sufficiently gunned. I had to be able to handle the calibre, not just the recoil and the carry weight, but the free-standing hold on target for ten seconds test. So for me that was the Africa frame, not a gram more. Bottom line: the 450/400 3 inch Nitro Express. All you will ever need on planet earth.
Finally the sights. The Heym express iron sights are great, but in my case I feel for 50 metres or less. The Heym dovetail will allow you to add a red dot easily so now you are good for plains game out to 100 metres also. Very soon there will be a small 3x powered red dot mini telescopic sight, already exists but the base fitting is wrong. Then you are good for say 150 metres. For more than that you are no longer in double territory in my opinion, you have lost the double sniff.
I have now hunted with my new Heym, I am utterly satisfied I made the exact correct decision. I stroke the thing while I walk through the bush, all is good. Perfection exists, all it cost was money.

I was bitten many years ago. Sorry no cure as-I-write according AH doctors.
NmktUPk.jpg

Is this available? Sneaks into your price range.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 9.51.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 9.51.54 AM.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 38
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 9.51.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 9.51.56 AM.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 35
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 9.51.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 9.51.57 AM.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 40

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaddeusM4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you