I have been bitten...

ET1775

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
United States
...by the double rifle bug.

I am losing sleep. My hair is not falling out yet but I am quite certain it will be gone (or at least white) long before I am cured. I daydream about hunting nearly every species on the planet with a double rifle, occasionally mixing it up with my single shot and my long bow. Has anyone ever hunted whale with a DR from either ship or helicopter? I am starting to take stock of my worldly possessions and wondering which I can sell or pawn for quick cash to put in my "Double Rifle or Bust" jar. Do I really need a dishwasher, laundry machines, television, home, health insurance, two testicles, my wife's truck?... The list goes on. The modicum of self control the Good Lord bestowed upon me is fading fast; like the ill-fated moth to a naked flame I feel the inexorable pull of oiled wood and blued steel. It calls to me, in the gloaming of imagination distant drumbeats and hyena-laughter set the tempo for the febrile dervish playing out at the periphery of my senses, neither present nor entirely imaginary, held at bay by the waning firelight of my exhausted prefrontal cortex. Is this madness... or is madness not getting a double rifle when I have but one life to live?

Which brings me to my next point.

I have been poring over threads about double rifles, what to look for, pros and cons of different calibers, etc. At this point in my search for a double rifle I am focusing primarily on modern weapons for the benefit of modern metallurgy, machining, regulation with modern ammunition, and a lessened likelihood of dubious repair work or hidden issues in a new to 20 year old weapon than a 80-150 year old one. I love old firearms and they certainly have a place, perhaps just not at the front of the line in my hopeless spiral into the murky back-alleys of double rifle addiction.

The brands I have narrowed my current search to are primarily Heym, Chapuis, Blaser, possibly VC (don't know enough about them yet.) My budget realistically for my 1st double would be 8-15k USD (extra barrels could be added later on.) Engraving is nice if well executed but well down the list of my criteria for a weapon. I am looking for in order of importance: reliability, durability, consistency, accuracy, proper weight for largest caliber I would use, ability to get additional barrel sets in other calibers, ammunition availability (factory or components), and lastly subjective beauty; all of this in a rifle that fits me correctly.

Would it make the most sense to get a rifle in the largest caliber I would plan to use in a double first so that the receiver is the correct size and rifle the correct weight for the big gun? I have a .375 H&H single shot which I love so calibers that would compliment but not necessarily duplicate that would be ideal though I would not be opposed to a barrel set in .375 Flanged or H&H as a later set. For large rounds I would like something along the lines of 450 NE 3 1/4", 470 NE, 450/400 NE. I am sure a 500 NE would be a blast but other than cutting down trees on my property it may be overkill for most hunting. I would like to have a medium bore and a 20 guage second and third barrel sets eventually. I would love to hunt elephant but realistically I will not be a game professional in Africa culling elephants and more likely when I hunt Africa buffalo will be on the menu as well as plains game, leopard, croc, hippo etc. Until Africa, I plan to continue pursuing bear, cougar, mule deer, elk, coyote, and as I begin to travel more frequently to hunt I will eventually add moose, Brown Bear and wolves.

I don't prefer decockers ala Blaser S2 but can't say I would mind them either. I really like Heym but from my reading it sounds like if I didn't pony up and buy a rifle with factory extra barrels then I would have to send it back to Heym to have them custom make each set due to their hand fitting methods. So many things I do not know yet.

I am sure to have more questions but I am going to bed. I am going to try to call in a cougar tomorrow.

SEEK TREATMENT URGENTLY!

The bug was small, unseen, left no visible marks and caused no immediate pain. I knew something had bitten me but, as men do, thought nothing of it and carried on with life and sort no treatment. Sadly, that fateful moment meant my life as I knew it was consigned to history; but a moment of scant recollection of my previous self remained.

I found over the coming months I was inexplicable drawn to parallel barrels and fine Walnut. I become addicted to the gorgeous sound the cartridges make as they drop into the barrels and the urge constantly go through the motions of bring the gun to my shoulder and take aim at the heard of Cape buffalo that seemed to be my constant companion.

I found mysterious large payments leaving my bank account. My friends just said 'Hah, you'll get over it you're just at that age'. I was not so sure.

In a quiet moment I reflected on what was happening. I trawled the internet and had those 'just asking for a friend' type conversations. My diagnosis was confirmed. I had contracted, from that small and apparently insignificant bug, DOUBLEOSIS

There si no cure but the more chronic symptoms can be alleviated by taking regular trips to Africa and shooting many rounds.

Seek treatment - it's too late me but you still have your whole life ahead of you.

Join the club and enjoy lol.

FN

Out of the many possible diseases one can have, being inexplicably attracted to fine double rifles, is a good one to have for heart and mind. (Not so good for your bank account however, and often it does necessitate a very comprehensive wife too) :D

Just explain the purchasing of a double rifle, as an aid to psychological health?

Don't sleep on Krieghoff as an option. I know you said you didn't like the decocker on the Blaser S2 of which Keieghoof has their own style, but it's a wonderful rifle and incredibly safe to use.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted.

I've been fortunate to own 2 in my life. The first was a Chapuis 9.3x74R. It was a beautiful rifle. I ordered it through JJ/Champlin. I sold it, and later owned a fantastic Heym 88 in .375 H&H. I wouldn't own another rimless cartridge Double. My next will be either a Chapuis or a Heym. Not ready just yet, as I have another Brown Bear hunt in Alaska in September of 2023. There are many fine makers of Double Rifles to choose from. I don't believe you can go wrong with any of the better names. But, make the caliber a rimmed cartridge. You can drop the cartidges into the chambers with a satisfying "plunk", no worries!

Within a year of owning one, I ended up with three. ;)

Would it make the most sense to get a rifle in the largest caliber I would plan to use in a double first so that the receiver is the correct size and rifle the correct weight for the big gun?...

Yes. I also think the smallest caliber one should get is 450/400, then you are good for almost anything. Of the brands you listed that are in production I'd go Heym, VC, Chapuis, many reviews of all on these forums.

@ET1775, you are in luck. There is a cure for your illness. However, purchasing one DR may not guarantee you will be completely cured.

Just FYI, as stated above, do not rule out Kriegoff.

Applying all the science of the moment and recognising that Covid offers a good parallel, I'm am playing it safe and going for a new double every six months. My symptoms have abated.

FN

SEEK TREATMENT URGENTLY!

The bug was small, unseen, left no visible marks and caused no immediate pain. I knew something had bitten me but, as men do, thought nothing of it and carried on with life and sort no treatment. Sadly, that fateful moment meant my life as I knew it was consigned to history; but a moment of scant recollection of my previous self remained.

I found over the coming months I was inexplicable drawn to parallel barrels and fine Walnut. I become addicted to the gorgeous sound the cartridges make as they drop into the barrels and the urge constantly go through the motions of bring the gun to my shoulder and take aim at the heard of Cape buffalo that seemed to be my constant companion.

I found mysterious large payments leaving my bank account. My friends just said 'Hah, you'll get over it you're just at that age'. I was not so sure.

In a quiet moment I reflected on what was happening. I trawled the internet and had those 'just asking for a friend' type conversations. My diagnosis was confirmed. I had contracted, from that small and apparently insignificant bug, DOUBLEOSIS

There si no cure but the more chronic symptoms can be alleviated by taking regular trips to Africa and shooting many rounds.

Seek treatment - it's too late me but you still have your whole life ahead of you.

Join the club and enjoy lol.

FN
Sorry to hear you are similarly afflicted.
So... what are the best months of the year for these "Africa" treatments?

Out of the many possible diseases one can have, being inexplicably attracted to fine double rifles, is a good one to have for heart and mind. (Not so good for your bank account however, and often it does necessitate a very comprehensive wife too) :D

Just explain the purchasing of a double rifle, as an aid to psychological health?
I wish that was the only affliction vexing me... fine Whisky, motorcycles, guns, knives... I think my wallet may be immunocompromised.

Beware! Be very cautious! Double rifles reproduce.
It starts with just one, then soon you notice another one has appeared.
It doesn't stop....
Thankfully, I have a wonderfully understanding and exceedingly patient wife. She also just informed me that as double rifles start being fruitful and multiplying around our home so will her livestock on our farm.

Within a year of owning one, I ended up with three. ;)

Yes. I also think the smallest caliber one should get is 450/400, then you are good for almost anything. Of the brands you listed that are in production I'd go Heym, VC, Chapuis, many reviews of all on these forums.
Lol…two for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross