HUNTING Zebra

No. to have a Zebra hide you must have a dead Zebra. I have shot all of mine with a .375 and Barnes tsx. Had a small X on the opposite side but no tracking.
Thanks, much appreciated.

Taxidermist can work wonders with holes!
Kill it...then skin it!!!
They ARE tough SOB's...

The TSX bullet did a fine job , clipping a portion of the heart he didn’t go far. ButI got to say all that fat around his ticker reminded me of some of my patients, just a setup for a huge myocardial infarction. Good thing I was there and saved him a trip to the cath lab.

full

full

full

I am planning on hunting zebra on my trip to SA and would like to prevent damage to the hide.
I have been using 300gr Nosler Partitions as they give me the best accuracy in my 375H&H.
Should I switch to 300gr Nosler Solids to prevent damage to the farside hide or will this just make things worse?
I shot my zebra with a 300 RUM 180 gr Nosler Accubond Trophy Grade cartridge at 70 yards. The velocity is 3050 fps at 100 yards, and it only took one shot to the front quarter shoulder. It dropped right where it was drinking, and there was minimal damage to the hide, with no exit wound.
qz4thw.jpg

10mlm2p.jpg

Attachments

• qz4thw.jpg
    qz4thw.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 298
  • 10mlm2p.jpg
    10mlm2p.jpg
    858.3 KB · Views: 315
I shot my zebra with a 300 RUM 180 gr Nosler Accubond Trophy Grade cartridge at 70 yards. The velocity is 3050 fps at 100 yards, and it only took one shot to the front quarter shoulder. It dropped right where it was drinking, and there was minimal damage to the hide, with no exit wound.
qz4thw.jpg

10mlm2p.jpg
Bob O
My zebra 120yards 225 grain woodleigh PPSP in 35 Whelen, impact velocity 2,600+fps. You can see the bullet hole a couple of inches above the chevron.
20200125_105551.jpg

225 grain woodleigh from just under the skin on the offside.
20200101_213629(0).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisa56S81

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.