Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Hunting Zebra Shot Placement

Post your questions, comments or pictures relating to hunting shot placement.

Hunting Zebra
zebra_shot_placement.jpg

Hunting Zebra
zebra_perfect_shot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard that zebras can be pretty tough to take down, is this true even if the shot is well placed? Heading to Namibia in 2010 and I definitly have a zebra on my list, I already have a spot picked out for it on my livingroom floor!

Zebra are very tough cookies and can go a long ways when wounded , but put a good bullet in the right place and you have nothing to worry about. They usually tell you to aim for the Sgt.'s stripes on the shoulder which as you can see on these great placement charts, is right over the heart.

These animals are sharp as tacks and hunting them is no pushover.

I shot my Zebra stallion fully broadside right on the point of the sgt chevrons on the Zebra's shoulder. About 25-30mm too far forward. Took out both lungs but missed the heart. Zebra ran 40 metres and died.
Rifle was in .308W and projectile was the Woodleigh 165PPSN which fully penetrated the chest cavity but stopped just short of the skin.

The heart is just behind the chevrons.

Zebra2.jpg

Perfect performace. Zebra tough ? Yes. But not invincible.

Attachments

• Zebra2.jpeg
    Zebra2.jpeg
    4.1 KB · Views: 925
Last edited:
Sgt. chevrons on a zebra

Thanks guys for your super answers to my post! I absolutely love the explanation of the sgt. chevrons and it just makes it so easy to know where the right spot is, even with the adjustments mentioned by code4.

With the advise given and your afirmation of it, consider your zebra rug space filled. Don't forget to call the color of stripe you are aiming-for before your shot. Good luck on your hunt. Wishing you a big bag and wonderful experience. Cheers!

a zebra rug with no holes

The herd was feeding away from us and the old stallion stood straight as a poker facing us head high and extremely suspicious and likely getting ready to leave in a hurry. My PH was very apprehensive of the frontal shot but I had picked out a silver dollar sized white spot in the center of the stallions chest and was rock solid, so I touched off the 338 win mag and the big guy rocketed away towards the rest of the departing herd. I knew the shot felt good but was starting to put some pressure on the trigger when he finally staggered and fell.

We found the 225 gr. x bullet protruding from the slick black skin under the tail. The stripe markings on his chest had joined and formed the small white target dead center on his chest, so my zebra rug has 2 very small half holes.

Here is the entry hole 1" too far forward.

watermark.php

Hi Code 4,

You never know when you may need a paramedic,

Cheers Mate,

Jeff,

Welcome to AH. Now you can start planning your hunting trip here. This is a great site to do so.

( Unfortunately this Zebra was beyond Adrenaline and De-fib.. )

Well in this shot placement picture, the best shot might be slightly back from the front leg. I don't know I have shot 2 and just followed the front leg up.

Aim for the top of the white triangle. Not bad for a lasered 301 yards with a 375 H&H.

Attachments

• DSC00429.jpg
    DSC00429.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 2,132
250 grn 375 H&H through the shoulder anchored zebra on the spot - after a little spinning routine, he fell within feet of where shot.

I shot a Hartmanns in Namibia, range 220m from sticks, broadside heartshot with .375H&H, 270 grain Rem. factory ammo...it ran 30m...then stone dead..

Last feb. I took a Burchells in Botswana, range 80m, heartshot on animal squarely frontal, .308Win. ammo 165 grain PMP....it ran less than 100 meters..

Zebra are very tough cookies and can go a long ways when wounded , but put a good bullet in the right place and you have nothing to worry about. They usually tell you to aim for the Sgt.'s stripes on the shoulder which as you can see on these great placement charts, is right over the heart.

These animals are sharp as tacks and hunting them is no pushover.

Very low first shot on this one and I was off and tracking for five miles.....no Joke! Then a neck shot to kill him! Shot placement is critical on a Zebra.

image.jpg

250 grn 375 H&H through the shoulder anchored zebra on the spot - after a little spinning routine, he fell within feet of where shot.
Here's a pic of mountain zebra.

IMG_1847.jpg

Good looking Mtn Zebra James!

I am planning on hunting zebra on my trip to SA and would like to prevent damage to the hide.
I have been using 300gr Nosler Partitions as they give me the best accuracy in my 375H&H.
Should I switch to 300gr Nosler Solids to prevent damage to the farside hide or will this just make things worse?

I am planning on hunting zebra on my trip to SA and would like to prevent damage to the hide.
I have been using 300gr Nosler Partitions as they give me the best accuracy in my 375H&H.
Should I switch to 300gr Nosler Solids to prevent damage to the farside hide or will this just make things worse?
No. to have a Zebra hide you must have a dead Zebra. I have shot all of mine with a .375 and Barnes tsx. Had a small X on the opposite side but no tracking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg