Hunting with ankle problems - Help picking outfitter

mcfd45

Reaction score
I am in the planning stages of a plains game safari in either Namibia or SA. I have one small problem. In college I blew out my ankle playing football, broke my talus.
I have no issues with walks up to a few miles (1-3) but then I'm down for the next day (it gets swollen pretty good and hurts)
I was wondering if anyone had experience with outfitters that can do a combo trip (both spot and stalk, and a blind on bad days) or can offer any advice.
I have mobility, just not for repeated long trips.

It would be very easy to plan a trip around your needs. Biggest part would be you telling the ph when you need a break or rest. Blinds can be used and in your case even the truck can be set up at a spot and used as a rest and shooting spot if needed.
If I can help you please Pm me here or email me at capwe6@aol.com for more info

Last edited:
No matter which outfitter you pick, talk to them in advance about your physical limitations. Most will bend over backwards to ensure you are able to hunt comfortably. Everyone on this forum will give you a recommendation for their favourite outfitter, I hunted plains game in S.A. this past April with Clayton Comins Umdende Safaris and would highly recommend them. You can find some video testimonials on You Tube.

I hunted last yr with bad knees. In fact I just had them both replaced 4 wks ago... I hunted w/ 3 different companies and PH's. All made sure I was as comfortable as possible. Just discuss it up front. Best of luck. Bruce

Dear mcfd45
Congratulations on following your dreams, despite of personal challenges. Our Kowas motto is: Ethical hunting, our pride and passion... We ensure that we take each clients limitations into consideration when you are conducting your safari. We respect your personal situation and challenges and cater for each hunter individually. There is no reason not to follow through with your dream. Open communication and mutual respect is essential - together with your PH you form a team which is seeking success.
Enjoy the planning process since it forms a huge important and FUN part of your potential safari.
Please check your inbox for a PM.
Kindest regards
Ansie

The beauty of RSA and Namibia, is that outfitters can tailor a hunt to almost any desire (with advanced notice). I like very challenging hunts, and most outfitters have access to properties that will challenge anyone. Even in RSA, there are places where you can spend hours on foot without seeing a road. By contrast, my best friend has bad knees and is only good for a few miles in a day at most, and the same outfitter put him on great hunts where it was mostly vehicle driving with short stalks off the road.

Your disability, which really isn't that bad considering the thousands of morbidly obese hunters that go to Africa every year that would die after a 1/2 mile walk, fits WELL WITHIN the parameters of a great and rewarding hunt.

Make your hunt a little longer and rotate days in the field and days in the blind (or Spa days)
NO reasonable Outfitter is going to have any concern meeting your needs.

Reactions: BWH
You are headed to the right part of the world for sure. There are a lot of ways to hunt in Africa and walking is only one of them. A pretty common method is to drive and spot game and then do short stalks. I suspect lots are shot right off the truck as well. I suspect pretty well any outfitter in RSA or Namibia will be happy to meet your needs.

Make your hunt a little longer and rotate days in the field and days in the blind (or Spa days)
NO reasonable Outfitter is going to have any concern meeting your needs.

Exactly what BRICKBURN said.... (y)

Hello @mcfd45,

As you can see from the response that you have already received, there are several reputable outfitters eager to accommodate you with any special situation or limitations that you may have. Season after season, we hunt with clients from ages 8 to 80+ with all sorts of special needs and physical limitations with great success.

During your research, please take a few moments to read our client testimonials below. We have many posted here on AH.com beyond what is listed below our signature page. We also have many video clips and other media posted here in the forums that will give you an excellent idea of the type of experience you can expect with us at Limcroma. Should you like more detailed information, or have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime.

Kind regards, Dan L.
US Limcroma team member

Last edited:
I am in the planning stages of a plains game safari in either Namibia or SA. I have one small problem. In college I blew out my ankle playing football, broke my talus.
I have no issues with walks up to a few miles (1-3) but then I'm down for the next day (it gets swollen pretty good and hurts)
I was wondering if anyone had experience with outfitters that can do a combo trip (both spot and stalk, and a blind on bad days) or can offer any advice.

It can be done in a manner that gives you plenty of rest between stalks! As mentioned tell the outfitter what you need.

We can cater for your needs, please drop me a mail and ill get back to you with more information and prices.

Walking 300 yards is a challenge for me due to a motorcycle accident in 1971. I explained my concerns up front and then experienced what turned out to be the most 10 memorable days in my life. Five of the six animals I took scored as SCI trophies. Believe me, your perceived "limitations" are a non-event at best. Just make sure you talk to your outfitter about them ahead of time.

Hi there
Your limitations wont be a problem
Sent you a PM
Regards

Hello Sir, I hope you are doing well. I see you are looking for a Safari to Africa but have problems with your ankle, We have 9 permanent Blinds on our 20,000 acre concession in South Africa with a diverse terrain you would easily be able to walk. If you have any questions you can contact me.

Best regards
Ruan

Reactions: BWH

I have a tri-maleolar fracture that required internal fixation. (Translation: broke my heel, fibula and tibia clean through, compound fracture, now about 9 screws and a bracket hold me together)

Due to the trauma arthritis from the injury my ankle will swell up like a grapefruit when I walk too long on it. The solution was good shoes. No, not what everyone in America calls "good shoes", I mean really good shoes.

Courtney Boot will make you a pair of combat boot height stalking shoes based on their Selous line. It will run you easily $350-$400. Lace them up tight with good socks and it will provide ankle support and arrest swelling. You should be able to walk a lot farther in them. I was able to do an exhausting 27km stalk in them, although I was completely wrecked for about 3 days afterwards.

Good boots are key! American combat boots were a far distant second for me as far as comfort. Ultimately, you get what you pay for in footwear.

Good day Sir
Your limitations are well within the parameters for an excellent safari experience .
Hunting large areas we use vehicles as a spotting platform before embarking on a stalk .
Our professional hunters can tailor your hunt to absolutely maximize your experience .
We have multiple packages to choose from and can make you up a package if you prefer .
If you have any queries or concerns please don't hesitate to contact me or members of this forum
Looking forward to getting some feedback and I can look at starting to customize a hunt for you.
Hunting regards
Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross