Hunting Vehicle Must-Have's

Bushman10

AH senior member
Reaction score
I have a Landrover 110 Defender Double Cab. Currently it has a canopy on the back. I want to convert it to a permanent hunting vehicle and remove the canopy and refit what ever is necessary. I already have built in compressor, water tanks, extra fuel tanks, rear diff-lock, front limited slip diff and two way radio. My question to you all is what would you like to see on the back of a hunting vehicle if you could design one from scratch.

Got a winch?
Saw a vehicle that had a couple of guides taking the winch cable over the cab to winch big meat up onto the back of the vehicle. can be handy!

Sump guard?

The usual gun racks and a small compartment or box at the back for miscellaneous bits, sometimes on the back of my vehicle i want to put something down and its either in the bed of the vehicle or on the roof of the cab, both options often end up with something broken!
and its a land rover - a big tool box with lots of spares ;) heh heh
I certainly hope your land rover is more reliable than my range rover!! it is a good vehicle - when it runs!!! :(

Will you have seats at the back?

I got a winch..when I called her that..I don't remember what happened after.Just sayin.

I had an old 88 inch 3 door land rover in excellent shape. It was a series IIA. I sold it, proving that at times, I'm the most stupid individual on the planet.

In addition to the winch and seats in the back, some kind of easily stowed ramp to pull something like an Eland up into the box... I saw a seat with a removable cushion and steel frame that became said ramp. Worked really well. I would also think you could get creative with a section of side rails that could be removed in a welded together section and used for a ramp.

I have 3 Land Rovers, two of them used as hunting vehicles. More comfortable and better offroad than a Land Cruiser, but the Cruiser is way more reliable...

This said, the standard hunting vehicle in SA, Zim, etc, leaves the rear bench in the sun and in the rain. Well, if you increase the height of the steelwork, you can put a roof (canvas or aluminium) up there, and this will make a huge difference in comfort over the long hunting days!

I heard all sorts of comments against it when I did this, but clients always want to ride on the back of my cars instead of others, when given the choice!

I have 3 Land Rovers, two of them used as hunting vehicles. More comfortable and better offroad than a Land Cruiser, but the Cruiser is way more reliable...

This said, the standard hunting vehicle in SA, Zim, etc, leaves the rear bench in the sun and in the rain. Well, if you increase the height of the steelwork, you can put a roof (canvas or aluminium) up there, and this will make a huge difference in comfort over the long hunting days!

I heard all sorts of comments against it when I did this, but clients always want to ride on the back of my cars instead of others, when given the choice!

dont know about more comfortable.........think it would depend on the suspension set up :D. how does the high canopy clearance work when going through the bush ? even on dirt roads there are low branches etc.....would have thought it would get messed up quick?

That's what I heard too often when I was planning to put the first roof: "You can't pass under trees..."

Well, the reality is that there are no problems with branches, most of them just get brushed off, and if there is a really big one you just go around the tree. The canvas gets messed up by sun and rain more than by branches, after three years it needs replacement and I'll probably put aluminium instead, keeping roll-up canvas for the sides.

I think that the main reason for not putting a roof on a hunting vehicle is simply that This Is Not The Way We've Been Doing It, Hence It's Not The Way It's Done, Old Chap. Not a good enough reason for me... Try, and you'll see how much more enjoyable is a day on the back bench when you are in the shade, and stay dry!

I have a Landrover 110 Defender Double Cab. Currently it has a canopy on the back. I want to convert it to a permanent hunting vehicle and remove the canopy and refit what ever is necessary. I already have built in compressor, water tanks, extra fuel tanks, rear diff-lock, front limited slip diff and two way radio. My question to you all is what would you like to see on the back of a hunting vehicle if you could design one from scratch.

Perfect all you need now is a Toyota land Cruiser! Wahahaha ;)

My best always

…...
Well, the reality is that there are no problems with branches, most of them just get brushed off, and if there is a really big one you just go around the tree. The canvas gets messed up by sun and rain more than by branches, after three years it needs replacement and I'll probably put aluminium instead, keeping roll-up canvas for the sides.
……………..

I would think the canvas would be quieter than aluminum.

Perfect all you need now is a Toyota land Cruiser! Wahahaha ;)

My best always

times two , there oldchap
and electric hubs , bugger getting out ,knee deep in muck to put em in, because you forgot ,before you went mud dogging...........
with the roof over your tray , how do stand up to glass/ take photos , mate......
and wouldn't you have sit with your neck bent laying on your shoulder ?
id rather be cold/hot , and nothing wrong with getting wet .....

@Bushman10 I have a Landie 110 and love that vehicle. I am sure you will make the suitable changes to your vehicle that work best for you and the environement you work in but if I had to offer any advice it would be 2 things:

1st: Make sure the back of the vehicle is tidy. A smart clean vehicle is often a representation of the type of PH a client is dealing with. There's not much more I dislike than having to climb into the back of a hunting vehicle stained with old blood and tripping over plastic bottles, hi-lift jacks, spare vehicles parts and other bits and bobs the guy hasn't been bothered to clean up.

2nd: What ever you put on the vehicle, make sure its fastened/bolted down and doesn't rattle while you driving along searching for game.

Good luck and when you get it set up, send through a photo. Would like to see the finished product! (y)

with the roof over your tray , how do stand up to glass/ take photos , mate......
and wouldn't you have sit with your neck bent laying on your shoulder ?
id rather be cold/hot , and nothing wrong with getting wet .....

You put the roof high enough to stand...

Attachments

• Land-Rover-lolelia_zps5b4a2b9a.jpg
    Land-Rover-lolelia_zps5b4a2b9a.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited by a moderator:
gday kano ,
how high is that tourno cover ,mate .doesn't look 6 plus feet high .....

gday kano ,
how high is that tourno cover ,mate .doesn't look 6 plus feet high .....

If memory serves, 1.90m/6'3" from bottom of pickup bed. Sitting on the bench you can see above the roof rack, and standing is OK for most people. This car is an ex-military 127" Rapier, the bed is not standard Land Rover: wider, longer, flat bottom.

shit hot , mate .
looks can be deceiving ....

interesting but wouldnt last 2 seconds here :eek:.....and looking at the bush in the photo i am surprised it does there. i think too much of a pain in the arse having to watch you dont remove it when you are driving off road trying to wind your way through the bush/trees etc. people can duck if you need to get under a branch but you are stuffed with that ............:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg