Hunting leopards using hound packs in Mozambique is forbidden from 2017 hunting season

Mikael Rein

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Is this some all of a sudden new law, because Zimbabwe and Mozambique are the only 2 countries left that still allow the leopards to be hunted with hounds. And Namibia it's only allowed on PAC leopards and can't be legally done as a profit type hunt. So I'm bit clear on where your information is coming from, please enlighten us in this info.

@Mikael Rein

1. No Mozambique operator has been informed of your above statement officially or from aurthorities of the Mozambique Government.

2. Seems highly unlikely that such a decision would be made by the government without consulting all the roll players including the Professional hunting association of Mozambique. AMOS.

3. I have spoken to some of the govt people I have to report to regarding hunting, they all seem to be in the dark.

@Mikael Rein , I just received this email from you.

Dear Simon,

As the subject concerning hunt of leopard using hound packs has been a subject on the website Africa Hunting.com I would like to inform you that this method will not be allowed in Mozambique, starting from the hunting season 2017. This, and other changes will be fully informed at the Annual Hunting Meeting in Maputo, preliminary date is 4-5th May.

The reasons to forbid the use hound packs when hunting leopard are following;

1. It´s found to lack an ethical standard.

2. As only adult male leopards are allowed to hunt, the method of using hound pack complicates the chances to make correct determinations of sex and age.

Please feel free to contact us for further information.

Kind regards,

Mikael

Mikael Rein
Hunting & Wildlife Management Consultant
Mozbio 2.2 ANAC-AMBERO

Maputo, Mozambique
cell phone: +258 825363720, +46 70 6737397

I suppose we will wait and see how this all shakes out but @Mikael Rein 's comments sound very strange. These outfitters pay their concessions far in advance and most have hunts booked also very far in advance. I do not see how a change like this, which would require a change in law, can be made and then he states that It will be clarified at a meeting in May. By May hunts will have been conducted already with no knowledge to anyone of a change in Moz law. From what I have found out is that THIS POST ON AH is the only information anyone has about a ban on the use of dogs in Moz.
Secondarily, not to start another debate with someone across the pond, but there is nothing unethical about hunting with dogs and it IS THE MOST SELECTIVE METHOD OF HUNTING LEOPARDS!

Fishy,
Philip

Sounds like another "member" expecting is to believe something without documentation.

@Mikael Rein would love to hear what official capacity you have with the Moz government and why we should believe what you say.

Last edited:
I have emailed the Mozambique Officials to get clarity on the situation. Will keep AH updated on any progress.

@Mikael Rein , ..........

1. It´s found to lack an ethical standard.

2. As only adult male leopards are allowed to hunt, the method of using hound pack complicates the chances to make correct determinations of sex and age.

These two statements have to be the most IGNORANT thing I have read in a long time.

HERE IS THE SCIENCE:

In my jurisdiction there is ONE cat that can be hunted Mountain Lion/Cougar with EXACT SEX QUOTAS that are enforced strictly. There is a separate quota for male and female cougars in each CMA. The season in each area closes independently for each sex when the quota has been filled.

It is the height of selective harvest and conservation.

REGULATIONS:
From December 1 to the last day of February, the season for either male or female cougars may be closed in a Wildlife Management Unit while the season for the other sex remains open. In these cases, hunters must be able to identify the sex of a cougar prior to harvest.

• Adult male cougars have a conspicuous black spot approximately four-to-five inches (10-to-14 cm) below the anus.
  • Female cougars have a much smaller, conspicuous black spot approximately one inch (two-to-three cm) below the anus. The black spot on female cougars is often hidden by the base of the tail.
Hunters are encouraged to use binoculars to look for the location of the black spot. It may be necessary to make the cougar shift position in order to get a good look. Banging a branch against the tree will often make the cougar move.

All animals killed MUST BE REGISTERED within 5 days.

If you need help telling the difference between males and females here is a tutorial.
For further reference, see: Identifying Cougar Males and Females

The current open and closed seasons based on SEX.
http://mywildalberta.com/Hunting/GameSpecies/CougarHuntingAlberta/CougarHuntingSeasonsCMAs.aspx

The only way you can hunt these CATS effectively is with HOUNDS.
In fact the GOVERNMENT and RESEARCH SCIENTISTS use HOUNDS to tree and collar these animals.

@Mikael Rein I can understand that baiting has been the historical method used to hunt Leopard, that does not mean it is the only method to effectively to a selective harvest.
Interestingly, Mocambique allows hunting at night with a light. This practice is illegal where I live and indeed in many other countries in Africa.

Forgot, baiting these cats here is illegal in most areas.

Regarding leopard huntig with dogs in Mozambique

As we all know sport hunting is under a major pressure from various "conservation" groups in USA and Europe. The USFWS as well as EU have imposed various ban that in the end created problems for the hunters, the hunting industry as well as for the concerned countries in Africa. We have so far managed to lift the ban on import of lion trophies from Niassa Province due the ageing system (6 years +), a system that ANAC is introducing this year for the whole of Mozambique, which should lead to lift of the whole ban.

ANAC (the Mozambique authority that is charge of hunting) has recently send a strong reply to USFWS regarding the petition on a total ban for leopard. ANAC is introducing new guidelines for hunting lions and leopards, which are being imposed in 2017. I am hunter myself since teenage and I am normally not in favor of imposing stronger hunting regulations, but we have to be realistic here. There are videos circulating on Youtube on leopard hunting in Mozambique, using hound packs. Such videos, when discovered by the anti-hunting lobbies are used as arguments to stop all leopard hunting. As only male adult leopards are allowed hunt one could easily understand the problems to determine sex and age of a leopard, especially when practiced during night hours. There will not be an ageing system for leopard, for the time being due to the obvious problem to make clear distinction between a three and a four years old leopard, although such system has been discussed. Mozambique is a Portugues speaking country, few operators don´t speak that language which causes problems in the communication and also to understand the national legislation. I would like to recommend all interested in the subject to find out what the current hunting legislation of Mozambique actually says about leopards and dogs.

Personally, I understand that using hound packs for leopard is efficient, when comparing with baiting. But this fact is not an argument to allow hound packs. I can also understand that it is thrilling, but when the leopard climbs the tree to escape the dogs we have reached the limit of fair chase. I believe that we, the hunters need to have a self-critical attitude, in order defend sport hunting as an ethical and sustainable act. Apart from the already mention news we are also conducting several specific wildlife inventories, just recently a hippo census that showed very positive results. The census will be followed by a NDF report and a hippo management plan, and we expect that trophy hunting of hippo in Mozambique will be allowed again starting from 2018.

I am aware of that these changes will cause problems for some operators being announced very late, but I would like to recommend the safari operators active in Mozambique to communicate with ANAC. The "Annual Hunting Meeting 2017" will be held in Maputo on 4-5 May, I strongly recommend participation of a least one representative from each hunting area.

Finally, I would appreciate a serious discussion on the subject instead of posting insults. The purpose of our work is to develop the hunting industry in Mozambique, so let us be constructive.

Mikael Rein
Sport Hunting Advisor to ANAC-Mozbio
Mozambique

@BRICKBURN I'd like to suggest that the above post be moved to its own thread. It has no business in an offer thread.

here are videos circulating on Youtube on leopard hunting in Mozambique, using hound packs. Such videos, when discovered by the anti-hunting lobbies are used as arguments to stop all leopard hunting.

Any video of leopard hunting will be used by the antis. I don't buy this as a valid argument to outlaw hounds.

I would like to recommend all interested in the subject to find out what the current hunting legislation of Mozambique actually says about leopards and dogs.

Why don't you share with us?

I am aware of that these changes will cause problems for some operators being announced very late, but I would like to recommend the safari operators active in Mozambique to communicate with ANAC. The "Annual Hunting Meeting 2017" will be held in Maputo on 4-5 May, I strongly recommend participation of a least one representative from each hunting area.

I'd still like to see this information that you refer to. You typing it on the internet does not make it fact. You'll just hhave to forgive me for not believing you until such time that you provide some actual government documentation. As well as share you within the government gave you said information.

Finally, I would appreciate a serious discussion on the subject instead of posting insults. The purpose of our work is to develop the hunting industry in Mozambique, so let us be constructive.

What insults are you referring to?

I apologize as I intended no insult.
Perhaps it is a language issue.
"Ignorance: lack of knowledge, information, or education."

I shared an observation of two baseless statements and backed it up with the FACTS provided in my earlier post. Thousands of cats are legally and ethically hunted with hounds in many jurisdiction specifically for the opposite reason you are stating that Hounds should not be used; Sex identification being difficult. My conclusion is based on the experience of numerous wildlife departments that base their entire game management of their cats on this selective method of hunting.

As we all know sport hunting is under a major pressure from various "conservation" groups in USA and Europe. ........

My country actually follows CITES agreements and is more interested in SCIENCE than the political sway of self absorbed bureaucrats in the USFWS or FACEBOOK posts by Anti-hunters. We have also had our run in's with those organizations and its politics and in most cases we have won and allowed science to prevail. The ones we have lost have left a lot of the rural people hungry when the hunting industry collapsed.

............ ANAC is introducing new guidelines for hunting lions and leopards, which are being imposed in 2017.............

"Imposed" without consultation or recommendations from the affected parties. This type of zero notice pronouncement by your organization is in line with what Zimbabwe did a few years ago. They arbitrarily raised government "fees" in the middle of the "show season" after foreign hunts had been booked. Leaving the operators to either cover the costs themselves or have cancelled hunts when the fees were passed on to hunters.
It blatantly demonstrates that their is very little understanding or support for the hunting industry in your decision making.
Tanzania has just managed to have a large number of concession "returned". Meaning the concession holders have abandoned them. When they do the accounting at the end of the year they are certain to find the balance sheet lacking. I doubt that was their intended goal.

As only male adult leopards are allowed hunt one could easily understand the problems to determine sex and age of a leopard, especially when practiced during night hours.
Then ban night hunting with dogs. The premise of problems with sex determination with the use of hounds I have already replied to in my earlier post and the assertion is baseless.

There will not be an ageing system for leopard, for the time being due to the obvious problem to make clear distinction between a three and a four years old leopard, although such system has been discussed.

If there were actually a scientific basis for the decision and some basis that you could actually afford to train all involved I would support the notion.

There is a scientific basis of age determination with regard to hunting Lions, as they occur in Prides and males will kill other Males offspring. Leopards however do not raise their young in a community.
Hunting Leopard Males has been shown, in every reputable research article written on the subject, to be sustainable. So, age is irrelevant in hunting Leopards. SEX is important and much easier to determine.

Mozambique is a Portugues speaking country, few operators don´t speak that language which causes problems in the communication and also to understand the national legislation. I would like to recommend all interested in the subject to find out what the current hunting legislation of Mozambique actually says about leopards and dogs.

Please provide the official document or a web link to the document. I have searched various websites in Mocambique prior to hunting in your beautiful country to learn your laws myself. I can access those documents in English on the internet. I look forward to the information.

Personally, I understand that using hound packs for leopard is efficient, when comparing with baiting. But this fact is not an argument to allow hound packs. I can also understand that it is thrilling,

I agree that an argument for efficiency or expedience is not acceptable. It happens to be a benefit of hunting with hounds. SELECTIVITY for AGE and SEX most certainly is. Although there is a rather immense assumption about facts about time expenditure in either style of hunting that is missing here in this discussion.
Since quotas should be set based on science and observation, the success rate in filling that quota by whatever ethical method of hunting should be irrelevant to the authorities. Success is important to hunters, obviously, and plays a huge part in growing the hunting industry in Mocambique.

...... but when the leopard climbs the tree to escape the dogs we have reached the limit of fair chase.

I can honestly make zero sense of this statement. Please help me understand what your view is.

Apart from the already mention news we are also conducting several specific wildlife inventories, just recently a hippo census that showed very positive results. The census will be followed by a NDF report and a hippo management plan, and we expect that trophy hunting of hippo in Mozambique will be allowed again starting from 2018.

This is wonderful news that SCIENCE is going to be the basis of the report to CITES to allow Mocambique to once again obtain and support export Hippo trophies.

Does the agency in charge of hunting understand that the hunting industry? Conventions and shows take place long before May in any year and bookings have already taken place, indeed bookings could be made two years in advance. Changing the rules after the sale will do more damage to the credibility of Mocambique's hunting industry than not. It presents as a knee jerk reaction without forethought and planning.

Interestingly I found Management plan that outlines a policy that all stakeholders are to be able to participate in the planning.
http://www.biofund.org.mz/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Plano-Maneio-Chimanimani-Vol2.pdf

"THE SCENARIO OUTLINED BY THE NEW POLITICA DE CONSERVACAO OF MOZAMBIQUE

According to the new Mozambican Política de Conservação (Conservation Policy), approved as a “Resolução Ministerial (n° 63/2009), it is specific task of the new National Administration of Conservation Areas (Administração Nacional das Áreas de Conservação, ANAC) to create a “Conselhos de Gestão de Áreas de Conservação” (CGAC – Management Board of Conservation Areas) in each Conservation Area, in order to ensure the participation of all stakeholders.

According with the specification given by the new policy, the CGAC will be a collegial body that will assure the participation of all stakeholders of each conservation area and that:

• Is responsible for the management of the conservation area;
  • Implements the management plan;
  • Ensures that the management of the conservation area answers the needs of developing

communities that are legally residing in them;
  • Participates with the local and provincial authorities in drafting the strategic

development plans;
  • Oversees the implementation of concession contracts with operators aiming at maximizing the area under their responsibility without undermining the goals of conservation in the development of public private and community within the current "

Attachments

• Plano-Maneio-Chimanimani-Vol2.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 526
Mikael, I was wondering about the spelling of the name and it did not appear to have a Portuguese origin.
It appears you have a background in forestry.
You do speak Portuguese, which is much better than me.
At least you own a Wirehaired Pointer. Is he any good with Birds?

Found the MozBio reference and policies on empowering the ANAC and helping it become more effective.
How does banning Hounds increase Biodiversity?

Absolutely zero in Mocambique with that acronym. Certainly in no official notices.
Awards for disaster mitigation projects in Mocambique though.
AMBERO is a German consulting firm
AMBERO Consulting Gesellschaft mbH
Westerbachstr. 3
D-61476 Kronberg i.Ts. Germany

Mikael Rein, Senior Advisor
Mr Rein has studied forestry (BSc) and Rural Development (MSc) at the Swedish University of Agricultural sciences. He has more than 30 years of experience from the forestry sector. He has international professional experience from several African countries, but also from South-East Asia and Latin America. His areas of expertise include forest management, harvesting, community-based natural resource management, rural development and bioenergy. He is today based in Sweden where he is engaged in forest certification and forestry training.
Rein-Mikael.jpg

Mr Rein speaks fluently Portuguese after 12 years in Mozambique, and he is also fluent in Swedish and English.

Forest Sector Support Program in Mozambique (SUNAFOP/APRONAF)
Mikael Rein (Forestry & Wildlife Advisor / CTA)
cell phone +258 82 306 2834
reinmikael@hotmail.com

A couple of contacts that are actually with the Mocamabique government

Bartolomeu Soto, the Director General of National Administration of Conservation Areas (ANAC)
Dr Bartolomeu Soto, Director-General, ANAC
(bsoto@anac.gov.mz or bsoto@tvcabo.co.mz
+258 82 3029300)

Dr. Carlos Lopes Pereira, Head of Law Enforcement and Anti-poaching, ANAC
(clpereira@anac.gov.mz
+258 82 3223310)

Attachments

• Rein-Mikael.jpg
    Rein-Mikael.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 200
Great work brick.

Wow!!! Glad people with more resources than me are on top of this, thanks for the clarification. This bears much more looking into, hope clear heads and science prevail.

This whole thing sounds suspect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZGTS

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob