Hunting leopards using hound packs in Mozambique is forbidden from 2017 hunting season

Wow @BRICKBURN!!!

As I was reading Mr. Rein sounded very much like ex Director Ashe. A "hunter" who is "protecting" our hunting rights.

Also no way am I hunting leopards at night with dogs. Seems like that could go wrong about a million ways.

So is this guy full of :S Censored: @BRICKBURN ???

No clue yet. I hope Simon can get some answers. I'm the research department for AH members. It is all just information in the end and everyone can decide. I wish I were fluent in Portuguese. :)

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose we will wait and see how this all shakes out but @Mikael Rein 's comments sound very strange. These outfitters pay their concessions far in advance and most have hunts booked also very far in advance. I do not see how a change like this, which would require a change in law, can be made and then he states that It will be clarified at a meeting in May.
Philip

Phillip,

I agree this sounds fishy.

Not sure about Mozambique changing laws after hunts have been sold and right before the season, but Tanzania has done this, I believe four times since 2006. Some decisions are made the end of June. Changes are made and the season starts July 1.

1. Around 2006 they changed government fees through the roof. Outfitters had to eat the cost or pass it on. Went over poorly.

2. Apx. 3 years ago while clients were in the air, they raised the hunting age to 16(I believe). Kids were in the air with their fathers only to find out when they landed that they couldn't hunt. (There may have been something worked out on this but the government didn't care)

3. Last year 18% VAT was added before the season started. That's a pretty big hickey for most to absorb.

4. Can't remember the fourth at the moment. Maybe someone can help me.

Not saying this is a legitimate post, or that Mozambique would do this, but Tanzania certainly has and probably will again.

Don't rely much on an African bureaucrat.

Phillip,

I agree this sounds fishy.

Not sure about Mozambique changing laws after hunts have been sold and right before the season, but Tanzania has done this, I believe four times since 2006. Some decisions are made the end of June. Changes are made and the season starts July 1.

1. Around 2006 they changed government fees through the roof. Outfitters had to eat the cost or pass it on. Went over poorly.

2. Apx. 3 years ago while clients were in the air, they raised the hunting age to 16(I believe). Kids were in the air with their fathers only to find out when they landed that they couldn't hunt. (There may have been something worked out on this but the government didn't care)

3. Last year 18% VAT was added before the season started. That's a pretty big hickey for most to absorb.

4. Can't remember the fourth at the moment. Maybe someone can help me.

Not saying this is a legitimate post, or that Mozambique would do this, but Tanzania certainly has and probably will again.

Don't rely much on an African bureaucrat.

The above post is what happens when I post before reading the entire thread.:oops:

@Mikael Rein ,

We are all still waiting on any actual documentation you have from the Moz government on this issue.

You are representing what you say as true and factual, but haven't shared anything to support. I find this to be in poor taste and something that someone with an anti-hunting agenda might do in order to influence action towards what they would like to accomplish..

If you can't or won't respond, then perhaps this thread should be removed as baseless misinformation. I look forward to a fact based response from you.

I wouldn't remove it at all. Let it stand here as a reminder that sometimes things are not what they seem or as presented!

I wouldn't remove it at all. Let it stand here as a reminder that sometimes things are not what they seem or as presented!

This isn't a hunt report. This is unsubstantiated information being presented as fact that could have a negative impact on someone's business.

You're in the food business Charlie - if I posted something on the internet stating that your company had food poisoning issues without any documentation to back it up would you be OK with it staying up as a reminder that things are not as they seem?

If documentation is provided, then it should absolutely stay up. It hasn't been.

FWIW, Just Received this from The Hunting Report:

Leopard Hunting with Dogs in Mozambique May Be Banned

If you have booked a hunt for leopard in Mozambique using dogs, be aware that the practice is under review and may be banned as early as this season. According to officials with Mozambique’s National Administration of Conservation Areas (ANAC), present legislation allows the use of dogs for hunting, except in the Niassa Reserve. However, hunting legislation in Mozambique is currently being revised and a national leopard hunting regulation is under production. Based on the feedback of various stakeholders, say ANAC officials, the use of dogs for hunting leopard is likely to be prohibited in 2018. ANAC is the governmental body in Mozambique that oversees wildlife conservation and hunting.

The issue will be further discussed with Mozambican hunting operators at the Annual Hunting Meeting to be held in May in Maputo, where this and other issues related to sport hunting will be discussed. As for right now, the new regulation is still to be approved, which means present rules are applicable. But it is possible that the revised regulations be put in force sometime during the 2017 hunting season. In that case, we are told that ANAC would handle each request for permits individually this season, but no permits to use dogs when hunting leopards would be issued for the 2018 season.

Hunters booked for these leopard hunts should contact their operators right away for alternatives should their hunts be affected by these possible changes. Operators working in Mozambique should plan to attend the Annual Hunting Meeting to provide their input and be fully informed on the developments. – Barbara Crown, Editor-in-Chief

I emailed Barbara about it and said we here heard the same thing and that the person said he was with ANAC but wasn't officially. Just to give her a heads up that there is some dispute around this.

@JG416 , thank you for the latest update on the situation. So at present the law has not been passed.

@Mikael Rein sent me this email

Simon,

Just another information, even the present hunting legislation of Mozambique prohibit the use of dogs for leopard hunting. Dogs are allowed for "Caca miuda" which excepts leopard. So the updated guidelines and legislation is a clarification, not a real change actually. Good for you to have in mind in the future discussions.

Mikael Rein
Hunting & Wildlife Management Consultant
Mozbio 2.2 ANAC-AMBERO

Maputo, Mozambique
cell phone: +258 825363720, +46 70 6737397

Mozambique is a Portugues speaking country, few operators don´t speak that language which causes problems in the communication and also to understand the national legislation. I would like to recommend all interested in the subject to find out what the current hunting legislation of Mozambique actually says about leopards and dogs.

I guess it's not just the operators that need to brush on their understanding of Portuguese.

To AH members it wouldn't be in the best interest for me to comment further on discussions that took place today. I hope you can all understand.

@LivingTheDream leopard hunting at night with dogs sounds like a blast to me!!! Though being a young single male probably has something to do with that as well haha.

@Mikael Rein i find it pretty shitty to originally post this under Simon's hunt offer and represent it as fact. First off, it is not fact, it is your opinion of what may or may not happen. Second it's rude and can potentially hurt a SPONSOR outfitter's business. It sure seems to me that was your intent to begin with which makes you nothing more than a troll.
Simon hasn't nor isn't doing or promoting anything illegal. You can have your opinions of the way you think things should be but to go after someone to forward your agenda doesn't sit well with me or other sponsors and you have no business what so ever trolling paying sponsors. It's a great way to find your ass banned by @AfricaHunting.com and not be allowed to post anymore period, which I think should happen anyway considering you are toying with a sponsors livelyhood for absolutely no reason and posting misinformation.

Also no way am I hunting leopards at night with dogs. Seems like that could go wrong about a million ways.
You're missing out;) I actually felt very safe in this situation. shot my leopard at about 7AM, well after the sun was up.... But I see no reason for concern if it were dark.

@ActionBob man you guys are tough! I can't imagine hearing that thing grunt and then trying to find it with flashlights. I guess you could see the eyes glowing but with the dogs running around, it definitely would be a "puckering" moment.

@ActionBob man you guys are tough! I can't imagine hearing that thing grunt and then trying to find it with flashlights. I guess you could see the eyes glowing but with the dogs running around, it definitely would be a "puckering" moment.
Now you sound like Simon;)

Heck the dog guy carried a spear for self defense, and he explained that if the cat came twoards us, we should simply stand behind a tree. So I never felt scared... But to quote Simon when it growled.... "F#%&, I'm getting a bigger tree!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg