HUNTING Giraffe

Mrs BeeMaa has just added Giraffe to her 2022 list.
Planning on a 375H&H with 300 grain Barnes TSX.
She is in favor of the high neck shot as long as it presents itself.
If it drops to the shot, great.
If not, I'll back her up with a 416RM to the lungs.
As soon as my wife learned about old giraffe bulls being aggressive and not allowing the young ones to breed etc. She got very excited about taking a giraffe in 2022 as well. She will either use her .416 or 300WM barrel on the R8 based on whether the PH prefers vitals or a head shot. A frames either way.

What are yalls plans for the big taxidermy bill? Lol

Last edited:
Mrs BeeMaa has just added Giraffe to her 2022 list.
Planning on a 375H&H with 300 grain Barnes TSX.
She is in favor of the high neck shot as long as it presents itself.
If it drops to the shot, great.
If not, I'll back her up with a 416RM to the lungs.

300HH with 200gr accubond to the lungs worked just fine. Thus, I would infer a 200gr or up .30-06 or better can get the job done. The .375 should be more than sufficient.

Shot 2 giraffe just below head and neck juncture with a 30 06 220 gr. Nosler part. Dropped both on the spot. An older female at 80 yds thru the heart broadside, went about 40 yds down. Bullet recovered under off side under skin.

Either will work for a head or neck shot. DGX is a much better option if you go for a body shot. A lighter monolithic is a good option , especially if you are going to be hunting in open country

IMG_0655.JPG

.375 Ruger shooting 270 grain Barnes TSX - 100 yards to the animal - 1st round just transited the heart, 2nd round did not make it through the shoulder. Ran 50 yards and somersaulted onto the bakkie trail. As someone mentioned above, this bull was culled due to walking through fences weekly to beat the tar out of the neighbors' bulls.

'Got 2 nice, old bulls on diff safaris. 1 was a requested cull as they had overpoulated (and contributed to the deforestation of) one concession (PH suggested a .375. 'Took the heart/lung shot and it ran for a while (then the high shoulder/neck juncture shot to put it down for good.) On the 2nd one, used my 264 WSM and 160 Woodleighs (precision head shot-straight down!) I am reminded by this post of one giraffe head/neck skin and body cape experiencing "hair slippage" and then "being lost or disposed of" without the luxury of being notified by E. Coast Taxidermy & Tannery in PA (ECT?) DO NOT EVER USE THEM. Hard lesson learned. Use Slivko Tannery in NYS or Waldun down in SC!!! The tannery MUST have experience with properly handling the thickest African hides or they ruin it and then provide excuses. The other was "own-use" and had to be given to the tribal concession. I never even considered suing anyone, until the above happened (I did not, but probably should have due to the costs involved-esp. shipping in that case!) Buyer Beware-Do your Research! Giraffe, deer are NOT!

ZimbabweLemco20070726 001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
'Got 2 nice, old bulls on diff safaris. 1 was a requested cull as they had overpoulated (and contributed to the deforestation of) one concession (PH suggested a .375. 'Took the heart/lung shot and it ran for a while (then the high shoulder/neck juncture shot to put it down for good.) On the 2nd one, used my 264 WSM and 160 Woodleighs (precision head shot-straight down!) I am reminded by this post of one giraffe head/neck skin and body cape experiencing "hair slippage" and then "being lost or disposed of" without the luxury of being notified by E. Coast Taxidermy & Tannery in PA (ECT?) DO NOT EVER USE THEM. Hard lesson learned. Use Slivko Tannery in NYS or Waldun down in SC!!! The tannery MUST have experience with properly handling the thickest African hides or they ruin it and then provide excuses. The other was "own-use" and had to be given to the tribal concession. I never even considered suing anyone, until the above happened (I did not, but probably should have due to the costs involved-esp. shipping in that case!) Buyer Beware-Do your Research! Giraffe, deer are NOT!

View attachment 458087
@C.W. Richter
Tell us more about that 264 WSM
Sounds interesting.
Bob

Flatskin rug. (y)
Used the neck skin only to make a rifle bag and took a skull mount and one shin to make knife handles.
This one needed A Lott of shots(4) in total with the 458. First one was good but old habits die hard so when he turned and galloped away I let fly. Swift a frame and 3 solids.

D1433193-4DFD-4B0A-BBC7-EEA7ED10D5C9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got two of my friends and connected them with Henry Griffith Safaris to go shoot two management bulls.

One was shot with a 500 NE Verney Carron Double and 570gr Barnes the other with 458 win mag and 480gr DGX unbonded. as you will see in the videos.
Was heaps of fun and a neccesitty so good all around for conservation, economics and just a plain good fun day out with good friends who shot well.

The dark bull was not to be shot only the younger lighter coloured bulls.

IMG-20220318-WA0038.jpg

20220318-081536-1.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2022-03-21-at-8-54-36-AM-1.jpg

Recovered bullet 570gr Barnes out of the 500 NE

@Frederik - Your friends did a good job of anchoring these Giraffe. The Giraffe barley seemed spooked by the rifle shots. In the second video none of them ran until the one that was shot fell over.

@Frederik - Your friends did a good job of anchoring these Giraffe. The Giraffe barley seemed spooked by the rifle shots. In the second video none of them ran until the one that was shot fell over.
They don't hunt on that specific farm so the giraffe had no clue what was going on. Management for numbers.
This also just shows you can go into a complete wild area and I have seen it that animals are not scared of humans as they do not know humans who hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross