Hunting alone

Rick Cox

AH elite
Joined
Dec 17, 2015
Messages
1,393
Reaction score
2,235
Location
Armstrong British Colombia
Media
104
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
4
USA/Canada
4
Member of
Armstrong Fish and Game Club
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, British Colombia Ca.
One thing I try to bring on a hunt is some 8mm climbing cord, carabiners and some small light weight shackles. Sure saves the


20181128_095411.jpg
20181128_095334.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one Rick! I just bring a four wheeler with a winch.:ROFLMAO:
 
That should have read "small light weight pulleys". But it does save the back.

Worked for me more than once. And helped others more than a time or two.
 
Rick,

Where ever did you find a draft horse with antlers?

Did you sleep overnight inside it until you found a rough terrain crane to get it out with?
 
Rick,

Where ever did you find a draft horse with antlers?

Did you sleep overnight inside it until you found a rough terrain crane to get it out with?
I'm not really sure I understand your humour... sorry. At any rate, if I can avoid bending over for long periods of time, all the better.
 
I’m pretty certain it’s reference to that bucks size and how the hell you were getting it out of he bush.
 
I'm not really sure I understand your humour... sorry. At any rate, if I can avoid bending over for long periods of time, all the better.

Brickburn got it right.

That thing is huge. Congrats. Too big for me to deal with at my advanced age.
 
Brickburn got it right.

That thing is huge. Congrats. Too big for me to deal with at my advanced age.
Thanks, but honestly the camera plays tricks with the perspective. Only an average size. But it was all I could do to to drag it 50m to a tree. Once the guts were out it was easy and only a little ways to the skid trail and into the truck. Back truck into ditch, drop tail gate, skid into truck. Once home I used the same pulley system to hoist into a crossbar for skinning and quartering.
Had I been further out, I'd have boned him out and packed...
 
Hunting alone, often for mule deer, I've had to either quarter or even bone out a buck. Then pack the meat out on my back.

I'm pleased to say that I can still do that! :)

Nice buck you got there, and I like that idea of hauling it up into the tree for the field dressing and skinning. Working on the carcass, all hunched over, is not fun.

Guy
 
Hunting alone, often for mule deer, I've had to either quarter or even bone out a buck. Then pack the meat out on my back.

I'm pleased to say that I can still do that! :)

Nice buck you got there, and I like that idea of hauling it up into the tree for the field dressing and skinning. Working on the carcass, all hunched over, is not fun.

Guy
Yeah you got that right. I can do it but then I have to use the pulley system on myself to stand erect!
 
I usually skin and bone mine out on the ground these days. The romance of hanging died off a long time ago.
 
Nice little system you got there!
 
We are heading different directions!
You and me both buddy! At my parents farm I have an A-frame skinning pole with a chain hoist. I can haul up moose and cattle on that. In my garage in town I have an electric hoist. It's great for deer sized critters. Push a button and up they go!
 
You and me both buddy! At my parents farm I have an A-frame skinning pole with a chain hoist. I can haul up moose and cattle on that. In my garage in town I have an electric hoist. It's great for deer sized critters. Push a button and up they go!
Nice. My dream is fit out my huntin' rig with a winch in the back of the box. Inside a bear proof canopy. But set up the ol pulley system at home as well.
 

Attachments

  • Pillbox_Type_26%2C_St._Catherine%27s_Chapel.JPG
    Pillbox_Type_26%2C_St._Catherine%27s_Chapel.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 324
Hahaha! Well OK, make that more 'bear resistant' than a tent... but I'm curious, where is this?
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,351
Messages
1,573,747
Members
169,846
Latest member
caldoravirexon
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top