Howdy from Alaska

Little about me…

Finally reached a point in my hunting aspirations where Africa was coming back around again as both a priority and likelihood in reasonable future. Grew up in Texas hunting everything from whitetails and hogs to dove and quail. A few years after grad school, left a great career in downtown Dallas for quality of life in Alaska. Always looked forward to the annual DSC convention each January. Even as a kid, but even more so as an adult. Planning which year I’d head for the dark continent and for what quarry. Admit, the Alaskan outfitters held as much allure, both fishing and hunting. After a trip to Alaska in May of 2003, I was hooked. I went back for all of August and half of September the same year, which somehow fortunately started a real plan to live here. I relocated December of 2005 and never regretted the decision even for a second.

The move put my career on a totally different path, and while far less money, still feel fortunate and opened up a whole better life with so much to ex-lore and harvest in essentially my own back yard and more time flexibility to enjoy it. BUT…with so much to preoccupy my hunting, fishing, hiking interests, I never made it to Africa. I didn’t even hunt outside Alaska from 2005 until just this March when I went to Sonora for desert bighorn. over The years I’ve taken so many bears, couple truly huge brownies, Nice moose, caribou and several really gorgeous Dall rams. Still love hunting here, that won’t change, but turning 50 this year realized I had simply waited long enough, if not too long.

Africa, here I come. At our Wild Sheep Banquet I let my daughter bid on a donated trip for two hunters and two observers with what seems like a reputable outfitter in South Africa. Planned to start there as seemed like a relatively safe place to bring my gal and 12yo daughter along. Since she bid and won (In her mind) the trip, of course she’ll have to be one of the hunters. While initially planning for this fall, decided to push it to May or June of 2025, even though I am admitted chomping at the bit.

As luck would have it, a buddy who is going this June had a member of his party suffer an injury where he can’t go, so after a little (Very slight) arm twisting (story that seemed easier for my gal) I jumped in. So will get a chance to see Africa this year after all. Seems crazy I’m at least 20-years late to the party, but so looking forward to chasing cape buffalo next month vs waiting till 2025. (And no, my 12yo is not doing buffalo with me next year, just me. She’ll focus on wildebeest and few antelope species. Dont want her upstaging me like she did with sheep—her first sheep hunt she harvested a ram well bigger than any I’ve had fortune to take, and well earned it too)

Anyway, cheers and excited to be here.
Will

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH Wildwillalaska!

Welcome to AH! Nice to have you on the site.

Welcome to this great forum! Enjoy the site!

welcome welcome welcome

who will u be hunting with

Good day! Welcome to AH! Enjoy your first Safari in Africa!
Regards!
Johan

Welcome to you! Be sure and fill us in on your hunts!

:S Welcome:

welcome from anchorage! just got back from namibia, was hunting with velo dog who i am sure will jump in here at some point. you will have a grand time!!

Welcome to AH

Nice to have more Alaskans joining. I lived there for about 15 years and miss it often. I took my first trip to Africa, while living in Ft Yukon! Take notes in a hunting journal while you are in Africa. You won't regret that.

Welcome to AH. You’ve opened Pandora’s Box. Hunting cape buffalo is addictive as is Africa in general.

Welcome aboard!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TobyPierre

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?