Howa rifles

F.L.A.S.H

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hi all

I was just wondering if any of you have had experience with the Howa rifles, and would you share your thoughts, i am looking at maybe getting one in ether 308 or 338.

It would be nice if i could get some info from the guys hear in SA as i cant rally find much info about it in South Africa

Thanx
F.L.A.S.H

I think either of your rifle choices is good. A Howa rifle is a good rifle. Good Luck finding one in SA...I've seen the sporting good stores....it's a darn shame you guys don't have more choices over there.

I have used one once and that was on my plains game hunt in the Eastern Cape. I hired it from my PH. It was chambered in 300WinMag and was a tack driver. For the price of them I don't think you can go wrong.

I and friends of mine have quite a few Howa, Mossberg or Smith & Wesson, I think they were sold under other names as well but they escape me. They all were model 1500 as I recall. Most of the ones that I can remember were in varmint cal. and shot very well. I think we had a safety issue on one but the trigger was Very! light.

When asked my opinion on a good gun for the money I tell people a Tika T-3 or a Howa.

Nothing wrong with the Howa as a push feed. The trigger can do with some work. I'd buy one and in .308 would be a good choice.

I and friends of mine have quite a few Howa, Mossberg or Smith & Wesson, I think they were sold under other names as well but they escape me. They all were model 1500 as I recall. Most of the ones that I can remember were in varmint cal. and shot very well. I think we had a safety issue on one but the trigger was Very! light.

When asked my opinion on a good gun for the money I tell people a Tika T-3 or a Howa.

+1 on the Tikka if you can't get your hands on the Howa.

I have two howa rifles and it is good value for money I find them accurate and have had no problem with them.The 300 win mag has had about 1000 plus rounds through it already and is just as accurate as it was in the beginning .
I use it a lot for mountain hunting where the shots can be up to 400m and also culling on our two game reserves .
When I compare it with other brands it is just as good as the more expensive ones that I have in acuracy .I have a total of 14 guns from 22 up till 458 lott .And the howa 300 win mag is one of my favorite rifles for distance shooting .
Regards
Chris Sussens Tshukudu Safaris

Guess I'm the bad guy..I would avoid them like the plague but I only use Mausers and pre 64 model 70s..not a snob just an old timer that never knew better and see no reason to change now! :) :)

F.L.A.S.H. ,

Great review a few months back done by Koos Barnard in the Magnum magazine. Google them and check them out - lot's of options available, and any fire arm dealer can get hold of them. i know some models are now available with bull barrel , fluted barrels, stainless steel, etc. and lots of stock options available (you could also look to bring one in from the states? as they have lots of semi-inlet stocks available for the howa) also, a little birdie told me about the new magazines coming in - 5 - 10 round capacity, removable magazines...that's a win! also, they're available in the "new" 375 Ruger (i know it's now all THAT new, but it's still quite new to our shores).

If you want any details about them here in SA, feel free to ask!

ps. where abouts are you situated? :)

FLASH,

I have a HOWA .300 Win Mag but unfortunately could not shoot it yet as I am waiting for my license. From what I have heard it is not a bad rifle.

Best regards,

Jacques

My dad had a Weatherby Vanguard and they are made by Howa. It was chambered in .257 Weatherby mag and was a very good rifle. The only problem with the gun was the trigger, which took a little getting used too.

I reside in the RSA and have managed to get my hands on a howa 1500 in .300 winmag early this year. I have put about 200 rounds through it already but been battling a bit to get good groupings iv tried a number of factory loaded rounds and an entire assortment of my own hand loads but still I can't group less than about 6 inches. If there are any other owners out there what will be able to help or offer suggestions it will be greatly appreciated.

I'm loading with s365 behind a 180gr sierra game king spbt with a winchester magnum primer in the rear
And
S365 with a 165gr barns sp also with a winmag primer

That is a rather large group. If you have a scope on the rifle pull it off and try it on another rifle that you know is accurate. That will let you know if the scope is bad or if its a problem with the rifle. If its the rifle next check all of the screws to be sure they are torqued properly. Everything should be tight! Next is to clean the rifle barrel. You want all of the copper out. Takes a little time, but get it clean. You might want to use a bore scope to check the inside of the barrel. See what it looks like. If it still doesn't shoot then its time to take it apart. See if the action has been bedded properly. See if you can see any obvious pinch points where it has been rubbing. If the channel that the barrel lies in is not clear you may wish to open it up. If you have a good gunsmith he may be able to figure it out quickly. This just gives you a few things to start with. You may wind up replacing the barrel..... Good luck. Bruce

+1 on the Tikka if you can't get your hands on the Howa.
@PHOENIX PHIL
The Howa is half the price of a Tikka in Australia. My son has a Howa 308 with the new HTACtrigger. Accurate as plus light. Stock design mitigates recoil well.

That is a rather large group. If you have a scope on the rifle pull it off and try it on another rifle that you know is accurate. That will let you know if the scope is bad or if its a problem with the rifle. If its the rifle next check all of the screws to be sure they are torqued properly. Everything should be tight! Next is to clean the rifle barrel. You want all of the copper out. Takes a little time, but get it clean. You might want to use a bore scope to check the inside of the barrel. See what it looks like. If it still doesn't shoot then its time to take it apart. See if the action has been bedded properly. See if you can see any obvious pinch points where it has been rubbing. If the channel that the barrel lies in is not clear you may wish to open it up. If you have a good gunsmith he may be able to figure it out quickly. This just gives you a few things to start with. You may wind up replacing the barrel..... Good luck. Bruce
@gillettehunter
Could be the shooter as well.
Bob

The only problem with Howa is they don’t do a .35Whelen from the factory.

The other options are too numerous to mention. We’ll at least in Australia.

They started importing these branded as CMC Australian Mountaineer over 30 years ago, my brother still has his.

Price point is good. Machining and quality is good.

The PH I had has one in .300wm as a hire rifle in S.A. he said you won’t go wrong with a .300wm on plains game, I guess that’s if you shoot it well.

I own a Howa .223, my wife has one branded Weatherby 1500.

If several brand names are having them built for them as their entry level offering they have faith in them.

I also have some Tikka’s they both work , both shoot.

For the bloke getting 6” groups. Are it out the stock. Look for anything odd, clean stuff up sit it in right, tighten within reason. Test it then test the scope. I has a Zastava that kept going loose in a cheap plastic stock, it didn’t group.

Both Howa and Tikka have many aftermarket accessories available, stocks, and most other things too. Just like Remington do.

In the price point a Howa should do quite well.

The only problem with Howa is they don’t do a .35Whelen from the factory.

The other options are too numerous to mention. We’ll at least in Australia.

They started importing these branded as CMC Australian Mountaineer over 30 years ago, my brother still has his.

Price point is good. Machining and quality is good.

The PH I had has one in .300wm as a hire rifle in S.A. he said you won’t go wrong with a .300wm on plains game, I guess that’s if you shoot it well.

I own a Howa .223, my wife has one branded Weatherby 1500.

If several brand names are having them built for them as their entry level offering they have faith in them.

I also have some Tikka’s they both work , both shoot.

For the bloke getting 6” groups. Are it out the stock. Look for anything odd, clean stuff up sit it in right, tighten within reason. Test it then test the scope. I has a Zastava that kept going loose in a cheap plastic stock, it didn’t group.

Both Howa and Tikka have many aftermarket accessories available, stocks, and most other things too. Just like Remington do.

In the price point a Howa should do quite well.
@CBH
Chris they may not do a 35 Whelen but my mate Greg has a nice one with a fluted barrel in the 300 Whelen and that's a factory caliber.
Bob

How things change, this thread in 2011 said Howas were hard to find.
Right not its all there is and every man and his dog owns one.

Last time I was at the range there were 8x Howa and then my Tikka and a single Blaser in the 10 shooting positions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg