How much does it usually cost to go on a hunting trip in Africa

derial D

Reaction score
If you go on a hunting trip in Africa and you hunt quite a few animals (maybe a few of the big five) how much would it usually round out to? Like what would the price range?

Welcome to AH derial D. Your question is a bit broad. A basic plainsgame hunt package can come in anywhere from $4-14k, if you toss in Sable and some of the other big hitter animals it will be even more.
Your "maybe a few of the big five" depends on what "few" you are thinking about.
Once you come up with a basic list of what your after I know the fine folks of AH can give you a more accurate number.
Best of luck in your planning.

Toss in a "few of the big five"!!
I can only suggest to look in the deals section and review some offers.
That will give you an idea.

A lion in Tanzania can run you $70K and a deal on a buff in Zim about $10K. As BnC says, it's a bit too broad a question without specifics as to what and where.

Like they said broad question. Leopard $10K to $28K. Lion $6K to $70K depending on male/female released/wild etc. Elephant $16K to $40K. Buffalo under $10K to $20K. Daily fees on plains game only $250-500/day. Add in the big five and it goes to $800-$1500/day. Then there is transport to and from hunt area. Drive or in some cases charter. Free to $8K is a good range. Dip and pack. Shipping costs of trophies. Your airfare to Africa from where you are at. Good luck. Bruce

If you go on a hunting trip in Africa and you hunt quite a few animals (maybe a few of the big five) how much would it usually round out to? Like what would the price range?

Welcome to the forum Derial. I suggest you contact a number of Outfitters (on this forum) and you request a package with whatever animals you think you might consider to hunt or with whatever tickles your fancy. Compare apples with apples, and then out of the let's say possible 3 quotes on a safari you will have a pretty good idea of what a safari in Africa will cost you.

Information you might want to have ready when you speak to a outfitter/agent is;

• Approximate dates of arrival (Season/year)
  • Species interested in - (quantity, size, area)
  • Duration of safari (days)
  • Special requirements
  • Number of Observers
  • Sightseeing/Additional Photographic Safaris/ 3rd Party activities if needed be (spa's, game drives, township tours, museums etc.)
  • Taxidermy (Although most outfitters does not provide taxidermy work themselves, they are partnered up with a taxidermy which quotes on different mounts can also be requested such as (Pedestal Mounts, SHoulder Mounts, Skull Mounts, Full Mounts etc.)
I hope these helps you out as a starting point. As the biggest portion of your expense will be the Hunt and the Mounting of your trophies. Airfare also to consider and Insurance.

Wish you all the best in your planning. (y)

I've just returned from the Eastern Cape in South Africa. My friends bokoed a cull package through a UK agent last year and I chose to join them. The hunt was for 8 days and 7 nights and included :-

1 x wildebeest cow
1 x kudu cow
2 x grey duiker
2 x blesbok
4 x warthog
2 x springbok
2 x impala

All in it cost £1950 each or at todays exchange rate $3324. One duiker and one warthog were were trophy class. and for a small upgrade fee I swapped my kudu cow for a kudu bull. My friend also took a 5.75" grey duiker and a warthog over 12". Two nights free lamping were included for jackal and jackal. These along with baboon and vervet monkeys were also free if seen during the day.

I'm yet to see such great value elsewhere and will be returning with them next year.

However, this is as good value as it gets. You can pay tens of thousands of dollars more depending on when, what and where you hunt as others have said.

price greatly depends on where and what you wish to hunt. im going to RSA with my dad next year for cape buffalo x1, blue wildebeest x1, and warthogs x2. the cost of the hunt (not including travel, taxidermy, tips) will be around $14,000.

-matt

Would anyone agree with the following, that South Africa appears to be the cheapest country to hunt in, with Namibia second cheapest? I know I'm comparing apples with oranges, but overall this is how it appears to me. There is then a considerable price increae when hunting Eastern Africa.

Hi Derial D.

Welcome to AH, Very sound question to be asking.
Plus from your post you are looking at total costs.

We have to consider the following countries with your broad question.
Tanzania ~ Mozambique ~ Namibia - Zambia ~ Zimbabwe & South Africa are the ones that you could consider at this time.
Tanzania we are looking at about $80,000 or more for 2 or 3 big five trophy animals, however you will be able to have 2 CB on license.
Mozambique is looking like some trouble and you need to be careful who you book with. however of the big 5, lion - leopard and cape buffalo are available.
Namibia has options and again the travel to the strip will add to the expense, however elephant, lion, leopard and cape buffalo, plus hippo and croc are available. You will need to book early to see if there are quota available for what you are looking for.
Zambia - is scheduled to reopen next year and there will be some great lion hunting. They also have leopard, cape buffalo and elephant and again booking and securing quota will be the hard part.
Zimbabwe - Has some great cape buffalo, leopards and lions book with a reputable firm. Elephant is off the book now, however that may change for next year.
South Africa has all the big 5 and if you book with the right company or companies you should be able to get great trophy's.

Cost wise ~ you have to look at what you can afford to have a great safari experience. If money was not issue, i would consider Tanzania, hands down.
1. Air fare - approximately $2,000 to $2,500 this will depend on where you are flying out of and what country you chose to go hunting in.
1a. bush airfare - can be upwards of $12,000 if you need a flight into the bush. Tanzania, Mozambique, Namibia and possible Zambia.
2. PH costs - approximately $3,000 to $4,500 for 10 day plains game safari - this cost is again depending on the length of your safari and who you book with.
3. PH cost - To book a big 5 package for say leopard and cape buffalo you are looking at a 14 day safari and $14,000 or more in PH fees.
4. Trophy costs - This is the hard part as the cost will be different for the African countries.
Cape Buffalo from $4,500 to $12,000 or more
Leopard from $4,500 to $10,000 or more - bait animals included some places and others you pay the going rate for trophy animals for bait.
5. Large Plains game look at $6,000 this will get you 3 to 4 trophy's, not counting sable or roan
6 Small plains game look at $3,000 this will get you 6 to 7 trophy's.

Would anyone agree with the following, that South Africa appears to be the cheapest country to hunt in, with Namibia second cheapest? I know I'm comparing apples with oranges, but overall this is how it appears to me. There is then a considerable price increae when hunting Eastern Africa.

I find that if you are looking for certain hunt packages: Namibia is #1, very good hunting for the dollar.

Namibia and the EC is RSA are pretty comparable as far as prices are concerned. (Pretty broad generalization)
Eastern Africa, specifically Tanzania there is certainly a considerable increase in prices.

Prepay or overpay your credit card, then get another one just in case. You'll need them!!!

Lat year on eastern cape plains game, 7 day 7 nights 7 animals. 7000, two extra animals 2150, tip 1500, plane fare 2450, Taxidermy 5725, shipping trophy's 2400, Import customs service 300. Misc 1200 Going back in 15 for Buff and lion.

Brickburn is right again. You have to look around this site and others. But someone mentioned you need to decide what you really want to hunt and where you want to do it.

Like they said broad question. Leopard $10K to $28K. Lion $6K to $70K depending on male/female released/wild etc. Elephant $16K to $40K. Buffalo under $10K to $20K. Daily fees on plains game only $250-500/day. Add in the big five and it goes to $800-$1500/day. Then there is transport to and from hunt area. Drive or in some cases charter. Free to $8K is a good range. Dip and pack. Shipping costs of trophies. Your airfare to Africa from where you are at. Good luck. Bruce

I smell a troll.

After reading about Bazz giving up hunting on this forum....... Hmmmmmm??????

My apologies if I'm wrong but something smells fishy. Just sayin'.....

I smell a troll.

After reading about Bazz giving up hunting on this forum....... Hmmmmmm??????

My apologies if I'm wrong but something smells fishy. Just sayin'.....

I agree. Either a troll or an anti-hunter trying to get some information for a book report.

I've just returned from the Eastern Cape in South Africa. My friends bokoed a cull package through a UK agent last year and I chose to join them. The hunt was for 8 days and 7 nights and included :-

1 x wildebeest cow
1 x kudu cow
2 x grey duiker
2 x blesbok
4 x warthog
2 x springbok
2 x impala

All in it cost £1950 each or at todays exchange rate $3324. One duiker and one warthog were were trophy class. and for a small upgrade fee I swapped my kudu cow for a kudu bull. My friend also took a 5.75" grey duiker and a warthog over 12". Two nights free lamping were included for jackal and jackal. These along with baboon and vervet monkeys were also free if seen during the day.

I'm yet to see such great value elsewhere and will be returning with them next year.

However, this is as good value as it gets. You can pay tens of thousands of dollars more depending on when, what and where you hunt as others have said.
Was this a cull hunt or a special non trophy hunt? How much was dip&ship?

I returned two weeks ago from 6 days in Namiba (in the Kalahari). Here's what I paid:

6 days at $350 1x1 + VAT
$400 r/t travel Windhoek to camp
Trophy fees - blesbok, red hartebeest, springbok, gemsbuck $2500 (all are Namib PHAssoc Gold and 2 should make Rowland Ward)
Air - JFK-Windhoek R/T $2100
Tips - $435
Trinkets and misc meals $275

Total - $7,810 + VAT

Dip/pack/ship/clear customs will probably be $1500-$2,000. Taxidermist will be $2000-2500, depending on the type of mounts. I use a very, very good taxidermist, but I don't think you can get decent work on 4 animals for much less than $2,000.

I spent two years researching and emailing to find the right PH and put it together. You might be able to do it for less (closer to Windhoek avoids the $400, attempt to clear customs yourself will save you +/-$500, 2x1 will save you $50/day), but $7810 is about as inexpensive as it can be done and still maintain good trophy quality and a good camp, vehicles, etc. The PH was over an hour from the nearest town (and I use that term very loosely - we were pretty far out) and trophy quality and availability was superb. Those 4 species were specifically what I went to hunt and I had all four in the bag by the end of the 4th day - it helps if you can shoot and don't have to spend time tracking wounded game. It really, really does. I say that only because I then had two extra days to do some bird shooting and could have gone after additional animals if I had wanted. Airfares go up after Memorial Day by +/-$300, so if you go before then you might be able to save a couple of dollars there.

S. Africa avoids the air to Windhoek and the transfer to camp, but trophy fees are probably going to be a bit more. I specifically wanted to hunt the Kalahari.

Like I noted, I spent two years researching and worked with a budget. You may be able to do it for less (cull hunt, an area with smaller trophies), but if so, it won't be much. This was my second trip to Africa.

I've been hunting for 40 years, including a couple of stints as an upland game and waterfowl guide and I've hunted over almost all of North America. Save your pennies (I put $ away for two years) and don't get caught up in the hype - do the research, get refs, ask lots and lots of questions and cross anyone off the list that won't answer all your questions and give you as many refs as you ask for, and that includes any booking agent. There's lots of info out there, but it is up to you to find it.

Once you go - you will start planning your next trip as soon as you recover from the return flight jet lag!

Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg