How much ammunition for plains game hunting trip to South Africa?

Uncle Sauce regarding taking factory ammo boxes, I do put my hand loads back in factory boxes then fit them into my Pelican case. Because so often who is behind the counter at the airport makes their own decision. I try to be prepared for anything. some examples. Decades ago, in Windhoek a custom chap decided he had to count each round, except he could not count. I finally showed him how to make four vertical lines withe fifth slashed through it represents five and so on. He was as proud as if he had just learned the theory of relativity. In Frankfort, ages ago, the lady behind the counter confiscated my rifles and marked them high explosives. It took me six months and our embassy to get them back. most of the time no problems but try to be prepared for anything, be patient, be calm and smile. Have traveled the world every year hunting for 65 years and have never lost a firearm. Maybe they did not get there in time for the hunt or the ammo did not arrive in time but the hunts went on. Kindest regards

Use a travel agent. Travel express does a really great job at a very reasonable fee. They will set you up with a service to get the gun permit for you. These people know everyone at the airport and can take care of any issue. It’s a small amount to pay compared to your trip to nearly guarantee everything does right.

thank you for that information. When I finally get everything figured out I’m going to use them for sure

Not to sidetrack this thread but has anybody had any issues with not taking "factory" ammo boxes? I have the small Pelican case and reload my own ammo so I had planned on using that to SA.

Just curious if I should get some factory boxes and bring them, just in case the airline wants to see the ammo in factory boxes?

View attachment 384059
On all three of my trips to RSA I've taken ammo in plastic boxes with the reload info on a sticker in the boxes and never had a problem. I've had rounds counted and headstamps looked at by SAPS but no problems as to number of rounds. Make sure your ammo is in a separate lockable box when in country. It has to fly separately from baggage. I've found two boxes per caliber to be plenty for a 7 day hunt.

The outfitter I hunted with uses a 243 and 95gr Berger VLD bullets. I couldn't believe it when he handed it to me the day we went for my kudu. But it worked. One shot betwen the shoulders as he went up a bank away from me. That little pill blew a good sized chunk out of the spine.

The outfitter I hunted with uses a 243 and 95gr Berger VLD bullets. I couldn't believe it when he handed it to me the day we went for my kudu. But it worked. One shot betwen the shoulders as he went up a bank away from me. That little pill blew a good sized chunk out of the spine.
I have taken some big whitetail with my 243. It was my go to rifle when I lived in wisconsin

eating-popcorn-smiley-emoticon-1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the airlines requirement for ammo in factory packaging... was set up knowing the packaging is designed by the factory for each size product to safely (no rounds touching or loose) be freighted anywhere securely, by road or air.
Eg; 375H&H in 375H&H boxes. (not 375 jammed into 243 boxes and then cases touching). So we know MTM boxes etc that properly separate cartridges should be fine... but occasionally they are not accepted.
(but in saying that, the old cardboard basic packing still appears new sometimes, mainly from EU ammo, with rims touching, blowing that logic).
I was flying domestic Darwin to Perth once, and wanted to return about 6 reloaded 416 Rigby rounds to a friend, as they wouldnt chamber in either of my 416 Rigbys (I always FLS)... and I hurridly put them in a old 375H&H box... At the airport I declared my ammo, locked and packaged. The check in girl asked for my license, tick, checked my main locked ammo box, tick, "Can I see the contents"... "hmmm" she looked closely... "sorry I cannot accept these, incorrect factory packaging" oh I made a mistake I said.... got a glare... she said I must confiscate these... I said ok. She did her job 110%, and my (annoying) tight cases problem was solved, gone..!!

Yes I also love to load my own for such a trip, I make sure it shoots minute of Kudu, and I make sure the guide has a spare box or two of local factory ammo, in case my Ammo turns up in Nigeria, instead of Namibia. I also pack a spare scope, and take my max ammo.
Discussions I've had, most local African hunters buy their ammo at the gunshop, and go hunting. They don't shoot too far, 200, max 300, and sometimes do a quick zero check.
3006 - for example, some have the theory to use factory 150grainers and make sure they wreck heart lungs area, and the meat is good. Others have the theory factory 180 grainers will not over expand, hit em harder, and go though with better penetration, and the meat is good.
So it comes down to bullet placement.
Had a client once, 2 actually, they had too many drinks at transfers, and when they arrived into Sydney all luggage went different places, including a rifle and ammo. Apparently their loud jokes at LA check in of hunting kangaroos, koalas, emus, etc, did not go down well with the "anti" check in girl with her lettuce sandwich. They hunted in one set of clothes for a week... note always wear you hunt clothes on a plane, khaki that is (not full camo), and daypack must have all your minimum essentials.

Ammo qty?? 50 or 60.

What in the holy hell are you guys bringing 11lbs of ammo for? Unless you are shooting 75 animals. You don't need that much ammo. Even if you are shooting 10 animals which is I'd say above average. And you shoot 3 rounds per animal which I would also say is above average. That's 30 rounds. Add 2-10 for sighting in after landing. If 40 rounds is not enough for a standard 5-8 animal safari..... You may need some better glasses.

And if you are gonna say "just in case". Honestly at that point the PH should stop you from hunting if you shooting multiple animals 5-6x.

How much or how many? I guess it depends on how many animals you plan on. I've never gone wild shooting everything available and kept every hunt to less than 5. I usually take 20-30 rounds. Averaging well under the 11 lb limit.

I simply re-purposed a pistol case. Took out the dividers and added foam top and bottom to securely hold 2, slip top ammo boxes. I put small holes in the slide latches for small padlocks. I take two sets of keys and add a copy of my Passport photo page and list the contents and place inside the box on top of the ammo. I do the same with by checked firearm, adding a copy of both my passport photo page and the 4457.

Sometimes SAA, depending on airport in RSA, has demanded the box be checked separately- sometimes not. No rhyme nor reason. I've had to re-insert the ammo box into checked bags when changing to US bound flight to avoid extra bag charge. Be prepared for that eventuality. Be sure the ammo box is up to the rough handling like any other checked bag in case the regional carrier requires it be checked separately. Usually, no problem with ammo and most times not even inspected. A couple of times the inspectors actually looked and counted ammo. Once IIRC in Mozambique, I think just for the little extra money they charge per round. The RSA internal flights seem to be the most problematic, while regional International flights between other countries and JNB have not been- go figure?

Pic of lockable, re-purposed pistol box. Open w/ 2 plastic slip top ammo boxes. And closed- I use two small cheapo locks- one on each latch

lockable ammo box.JPG
lockable ammo box closed.JPG

As indicated in an earlier post, each airline has there own policy on how the 5Kg weight limit is determined. The Qantas policy is:

"You can carry up to 5kg of ammunition gross, including packaging, per passenger. Note: your allowance isn't able to be combined with another passenger's in one bag or container."

Having said that, most airline check in staff handle ammo so rarely that they could impose any interpretation. I've found it useful to take a hard copy of the airline policy with me in case of difficulty. Same goes for how they interpret how to treat your rifle case in terms of baggage allowance.

What in the holy hell are you guys bringing 11lbs of ammo for? Unless you are shooting 75 animals. You don't need that much ammo. Even if you are shooting 10 animals which is I'd say above average. And you shoot 3 rounds per animal which I would also say is above average. That's 30 rounds. Add 2-10 for sighting in after landing. If 40 rounds is not enough for a standard 5-8 animal safari..... You may need some better glasses.

And if you are gonna say "just in case". Honestly at that point the PH should stop you from hunting if you shooting multiple animals 5-6x.
This coming from the guy with what looks like an 11 lb scope in his photo?

But you have a point, base your bullets off number of animals you plan to take. I take 80 bullets with me each time cause I can. My last trip to Namibia I also took 15 trophies from duiker to hippo and giraffe then 5 meat animals and jackal. I go to take every opportunity I can not count my bullets. As I said in other post, you just take them home with you at end of trip. 11 lbs doesn’t really matter when you’re packing light anyway.

What in the holy hell are you guys bringing 11lbs of ammo for?
Because at the end of a fourteen day hunt, I won't be saying to myself "I wonder how much ammo I have left"? Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. On top of that, the opportunity to take a dozen or so cull animals may arise. BTDT.

This coming from the guy with what looks like an 11 lb scope in his photo?

But you have a point, base your bullets off number of animals you plan to take. I take 80 bullets with me each time cause I can. My last trip to Namibia I also took 15 trophies from duiker to hippo and giraffe then 5 meat animals and jackal. I go to take every opportunity I can not count my bullets. As I said in other post, you just take them home with you at end of trip. 11 lbs doesn’t really matter when you’re packing light anyway.
Clearly that is why I don't need enough ammo to take on an entire battalion.

Clearly that is why I don't need enough ammo to take on an entire battalion.
What for scope is that? It looks like a Trijicon, some sort of 34mm tube version.

What for scope is that? It looks like a Trijicon, some sort of 34mm tube version.
Vortex PST Gen 2. 5 x 25 FFP. Best bang for the buck in my opinion. Unless your ponying up to like Schmidt & Bender you are really not getting anymore value. Nightforce, higher end Leuopolds all IMO don't offer anything more.

And yes its high zoom, probably too high for some. I prefer it that way, just how I was trained on them. I imagine guys doing DG would not exactly want this scope lol.

Several PH's that I have hunted with have recommended to me to bring the maximum allowable as per airline regulations. Asking why, they want to be prepared in the case of encountering poachers. Although we never did encounter any poachers we did come across fresh tracks and the DG hunt was put off until the poacher tracking issue was resolved. FWIW.

I take more than I need and leave the extra with the outfitter. I don't have to screw with it going back and someone else might be able to use it in a pinch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzannaVal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg