How much ammunition for plains game hunting trip to South Africa?

Gatorhunter1313

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
It will be a couple years before I can plan a plains game trip to SA but I have been trying to gather information now. I have doesn’t a lot of reading in here about what to pack for clothes and gear and what rifles are key. What I can’t seem to find is how much ammo to bring. I know there are limits on total number of rounds and I think from what I see it’s 200 max per caliber. I don’t plan to bring 200 rounds. I have a pelican case that will hold my ammo boxes I normally use. As of right now I’m planning on taking my model 70 in 375 h&h and my model 700 in 30-06. What I am wondering is how many rounds does everyone consider enough when going plains game hunting? Right now my pelican case will hold my 100 round box for 30-06 and 4 20 round boxes for the 375. What are your thoughts? How much is too much?

I've always brought 2 boxes(40 rounds). Figuring one box to re- zero if something bad happens during travel, and one box to hunt with. I've also always had lots of ammo left over

That’s what I have been hearing. I was thinking as a space save I would go to a smaller local case and bring 2-3 boxes for each caliber. That should be more than enough. I also saw someone write an article somewhere about how they max out their weight allowed on ammo. Bringing upwards of 300 rounds depending on what calibers are taken

First thing is to determine how many animals are on your list and then which rifle you intend to use on different animals PG 30 06 perfect for most. 2x per animal plus 6 for sighting in. So 40 should be plentyĺ
That’s always the biggest question. The more I look at hunting packages the more I change my mind. My real dream is an oryx in SA. After that anything is a bonus.

I like to be on the safe side and say 60. A box to sight in, a box to hunt, and a box to keep me from worrying about running out.
That was my biggest thought. The fear of running out. Maybe by the time I go ammo will be readily available everywhere and both my calibers are fairly common so getting more shouldn’t be too impossible

I brought 40 rounds. And would do it again. Figure I may need 2-3 rounds just to rezero. But have up to 10 as emergency in case you get there and something is really off. That leaves me with plenty of ammo for a 5-7 game safari.

I brought 40 rounds. And would do it again. Figure I may need 2-3 rounds just to rezero. But have up to 10 as emergency in case you get there and something is really off. That leaves me with plenty of ammo for a 5-7 game safari.
I also figure, worst case, my friend that is going with me will have his 308 and 338 and basically the same amount of ammo in his case. That doubles the amount of fun

You are limited to eleven pounds of ammo-what caliber and how many rounds is up to you. your ph also has a rifle and ammo for rent in an emergency
A1E242EF-8EB2-4F5B-A502-FBF5BE552E11.jpeg

You are limited to eleven pounds of ammo-your ph also has a rifle and ammo for rent in an emergency
I didn’t think of that when thinking of how much ammo to bring. I have thought of that as an option to not having to transport firearms but i shoot my rifles so well it’s worth the time and paperwork to make sure I can shoot well

I always bring 80 because same as you, the hard sided lock box I use for ammo holds 4 boxes of 375 H&H or 300 win mag and it’s still less than allowable weight. I’m really surprised at the recommendations for only 40 rounds. I’ve shot more than 40 rounds on a Safari and I’m a good shot. There is no charge to bring more bullets (most places). I always reload and shoot twice if I have opportunity. I’ve also had opportunity to shoot jackals and poachers dogs and other non target animals. I’d rather have extra bullets and not have to worry about it.

I have been twice. Each time I take one rifle and 40 rounds and brought home most of the ammo in each case. You don't need two rifles unless you are going on a very long hunt and hunting a big varieties of species. 5-7 day hunt one rifle with the size caliber based on your largest animal you plan to take. Lots of range time before you go eliminates the need to carry a lot of ammo.

I always bring 80 because same as you, the hard sided lock box I use for ammo holds 4 boxes of 375 H&H or 300 win mag and it’s still less than allowable weight. I’m really surprised at the recommendations for only 40 rounds. I’ve shot more than 40 rounds on a Safari and I’m a good shot. There is no charge to bring more bullets (most places). I always reload and shoot twice if I have opportunity. I’ve also had opportunity to shoot jackals and poachers dogs and other non target animals. I’d rather have extra bullets and not have to worry about it.
I will have to weigh my current ammo case and see what it weighs when totally full but that would be 100 rounds of 30-06 and 80 rounds of 375. Might be well over 11 pounds at that point. I reload everything as well. I got lucky and stocked up on .30 cal bullets and .375 bullets and I still have 2 8lb jugs of powder that works with almost all my rifle calibers.

I have been twice. Each time I take one rifle and 40 rounds and brought home most of the ammo in each case. You don't need two rifles unless you are going on a very long hunt and hunting a big varieties of species. 5-7 day hunt one rifle with the size caliber based on your largest animal you plan to take. Lots of range time before you go eliminates the need to carry a lot of ammo.
The main reason I planned on bringing 2 was just in case something happened. My pelican case is set up for both rifles and has a spot for spare scopes for each rifle just in case. Being my first trip I don’t want something to go wrong and make it a bad trip.

I will have to weigh my current ammo case and see what it weighs when totally full but that would be 100 rounds of 30-06 and 80 rounds of 375. Might be well over 11 pounds at that point. I reload everything as well. I got lucky and stocked up on .30 cal bullets and .375 bullets and I still have 2 8lb jugs of powder that works with almost all my rifle calibers.
180 rounds will be well over 11 lbs and is excessive. I and I think most people on here will advise you to only bring one rifle. Your 3006 and 375 aren’t that much different trajectories. I wouldn’t hesitate to only take my 375, I’m very confident with mine out to 300 yards. If something goes wrong, your PH will have a rifle to use. What bullets are you using?

40 rounds of 9.3x62, 250s plus 40 30-06, 180s, plus the case and two extra TSA locks gets me to around 10 pounds.

But I'm seriously considering a 6.5CM, instead of the '06 for a second rifle.

I didn’t think of that when thinking of how much ammo to bring. I have thought of that as an option to not having to transport firearms but i shoot my rifles so well it’s worth the time and paperwork to make sure I can shoot well
Yes take your own guns! I’d take 3 boxes per rifle. Or keep it simple and only take the .375. The problem with 2 guns is you won’t have the gun you want when you need it!
AH is a great place to plan your first safari.

I take 40 rounds per rifle. If I’m taking a shotgun (highly recommended) I take one rifle with 40 rounds and take myself to max weight with shotgun cartridges. A 28 gauge with 3/4 oz loads will max the number of rounds you can pack with the weight limit and will drop even guineas stone dead.

A couple boxes, 40 rounds, will be plenty If a South Africa ranch plains game hunt. Leave the 375 home. Make sure you know all your airlines regulations and have them and their approval in hand when you get to the airport. If they say 11 pounds in a locked case they mean it. if you transfer to a different airline during the trip make sure you are in accord with their reps too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stewartsDucky

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber