How many PH's are actually using double rifles?

rfishbone

Reaction score
Member of
DSC, SCI, TU, PHWFF
Good afternoon gents,

I just had a generic question that I hope I can get feedback primarily from active guides and PH's.

Do you carry a double or have you moved to a bolt gun or do you go back and forth?

What caliber are you carrying on a daily basis?

I know there are a lot of opinions out there but I am looking for some straight forward answers from the guys in the ground.

Cheers

I feel like maybe the way I stated question was incorrect; anyone can answer this if you have first hand knowledge from your trips, so any input would be great. I have hunted all over world but not in Africa yet so, I do not have any first hand knowledge myself.

Thanks. I searched a bit but didn't find what I was looking for (or that thread). Love the site, BTW

Six out of twenty-seven DG PH's that I know of always carry only doubles. Why, exactly, are you asking..?

Just like most questions posted on here I am just curious.

There seem to be many people who are very persistent on hunting Africa with a double either for nostalgic purposes or just because they love the gun and I personally like the idea but since the PH is on the ground everyday I felt I would like to know what they thought. I see a lot of guys carrying CZ 550's and I have one as well but also am in the market for a double.

Asking this question may be like asking a pro athlete what shoe they put on first or what bat/ball/shoe they prefer but I was really just hoping to get some feedback from the pros about what weapon they instinctively grabbed when headed out, whether the was DG around or not.

Based on your experience only 23% carry doubles, that tells me something even if just to quench my curiosity.

thanks for the reply

Welcome to AH rfishbone! Like Doc of the many PH's that I know and have met only a few hunt with Doubles and They are DG hunters, most PH's in general will care a Bolt Action Rifle if they carry one at all {they'll have one in the truck just not carry it unless needed) and that is based on the larger amount of plains game to be hunted at over 100 yrds.

Doubles have their place but so do bolt actions on DG,

For one I grew up with a bolt I know how to handle it efficiently and quick and can trigger of 3 accurate shots faster than any double shot I have encountered.

Two shots from a double being faster than 2 from a bolt for sure........ IMO the largest advantage a double has is on cats.... on elle and buff I honestly do not see nor have I experienced a blatantly obvious advantage.....I do believe that the quick second shot available to lesser experienced double handlers have a negative impact on the first and very often both shots accuracy.

Other very well known super experienced old school African .ph's such as Richard Harland holds firm belief in bolt actions and coming from a professional who harvested in excess of 6000 elle I tend to listen

To be honest I love mine but still prefer to carry my bolt action as primary back up.

Cost is another factor to be considered.

Just my 2 cents

My best always

Hey Jaco! How are things going over in Mozambique? Saw the pic's of the leopard..great cat!.....We've missed your post's around here..lol

Very well buffbuster..... off to start my last lion and Leopard safari for the season in a couple of weeks and then some more crocs before I take the missus on vacation:)
In the mean time trying to catch up with all on the office side...... blughhhhhhhh
Must admit it's good to be on here again it has been a while...

My best always

I'm a rookie but here is my experience with PH guns in the last 4 years.
I carry a scoped 375 ruger Alaskan scoped with a leopold 2-7x33 with 260gr nosler acubonds for accuracy, and 300gr for bigger plains game. (Giraffe, Eland etc.)
On DG hunts I use a 416 ruger Alaskan open sighted rifle (muscle memory having the same stocks). Most PH's order this gun after working with it, so its the fit and nearly no felt recoil that hooks them...I presume. Ammo is also cheap and has the traits of a good DG bolt action. Maser type action with the claw extractor. Its short, light and looks like a working gun. They're also cheap compared to other rifles.
I find doubles very heavy and you only have 2 shots and some have heavy recoil, which can make a difference on charges.
Most PH's I've seen use CZ 550, Winchester, BRUNO bolt actions and the answer is the same...I have a 3rd of 4th shot when I need it.
Devils advocate: If a bolt jams or fails...you're done...a double has a second clean barrel.

Kind regards and just my 2c.
Peet

I grew up with a bolt I know how to handle it efficiently and quick and can trigger of 3 accurate shots faster than any double shot I have encountered.

..that's exactly why I took my Clint Eastwood, Batman and Sylvia Saint posters off my bedroom wall and put yours there..:biggrin2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg