How has Everyone’s Hunting Season at Home been?

That big gorilla was 1/2 mile from Home Depot, the local high school, a big shopping center and one mile from Walmart's. He hung around for a couple months with some does and my neighbor, against my advice ,tried to bow hunt him from a treestand in a naked woods and got busted too many times. This was during gun season. Biggest screw up in hunting I ever saw.
:E Doh:
Argh! Big whitetails bucks only give you one chance, and that is if you are lucky!
Maybe that is why I have never killed a truly big one :D

:E Doh:
Argh! Big whitetails bucks only give you one chance, and that is if you are lucky!
Maybe that is why I have never killed a truly big one :D

Yeah, that big guy was a once in a lifetime. Five years later, I'm still pissed about his determination to take him with a bow when he could have easily taken him with the gun before he got close enough. I bet he's still taking that one to bed.

20181112_074937.jpg
20181112_110757.jpg
Just 1 small 8 point this year so far. 75 yards. 6.5x55, 120 grain Barnes TTSX at 2,700fps. I got him in the first 20 minutes. I love it when that happens

Opening weekend in Kentucky started Saturday morning. Hunted a new piece of land this year. Or should I say mounting /cliff.
56365628344__CEC8F2D2-17C6-4EFC-95BC-104BE972B4C1.JPG

But least once on top the views were amazing. Took me a long while to get up in position without sweating to death.
Took me about ten minutes of hiking around to find a nice place to set up and get comfy. As I have always hunted from the ground ,never used or been in a stand.

Got lucky when I heard a few does being chased around . Somehow they managed to stop about 30 yards from me. That’s when I saw him and put the trusty 30-06 to work!!
Using barns ttsx 168 grain.
Be ran a total of 50 feet and fell like a train.
56366259426__381013FC-ABBD-4516-9904-29316F1B9D28.JPG

Then the two hours of pulling and struggling to get him to the truck.. ha

Great view, nice shot and a good deer. Congratulations.

@cagkt3 , sorry to hear no luck. What unit were you hunting? I’m originally from Utah and have hunted there most of my life. I used to give my parents a hard time about leaving Idaho and moving to Utah right before I was born. It took me 35 years to escape back to Idaho :D

I was hunting the South Slope near Vernal. A buddy of mine grew up in Vernal and was kind enough to let me tag along.

Congrats on your year so far!

I was hunting the South Slope near Vernal. A buddy of mine grew up in Vernal and was kind enough to let me tag along.

Congrats on your year so far!
Beautiful country up there! I love the South Slope, but it does not give up its game easily! Some great fishing around there too.
And thank you! I have been very fortunate so far. Hopefully there is a little whitetail luck left in my bucket ;)

Nice buck, and what a great way to hunt. Congrats!!!

Great so far!

2 deer, neither one weighed over 100 pounds, the both dropped dead on impact, one knife slit oneach side of the spine and it was like carrying an American Tourist lougage.

One with a 308 with a 125 Ballistic Tip and one with a 30-06 with a Russian steel case 145 jacketed soft point. Both kills at around 50 yards.

Opening weekend in Kentucky started Saturday morning. Hunted a new piece of land this year. Or should I say mounting /cliff. View attachment 256923

But least once on top the views were amazing. Took me a long while to get up in position without sweating to death.
Took me about ten minutes of hiking around to find a nice place to set up and get comfy. As I have always hunted from the ground ,never used or been in a stand.

Got lucky when I heard a few does being chased around . Somehow they managed to stop about 30 yards from me. That’s when I saw him and put the trusty 30-06 to work!!
Using barns ttsx 168 grain.
Be ran a total of 50 feet and fell like a train.
View attachment 256924

Then the two hours of pulling and struggling to get him to the truck.. ha
Very nice buck! Congrats. Love those old broken tine warriors. True trophy

Very nice buck! Congrats. Love those old broken tine warriors. True trophy

Thanks, after hunting for two solid days and only seeing squirrels, I was ready to take any decent deer that came close. You are correct, the broken tine was a plus!!

Up here in Alaska our huntin season is over. Normally I would be looking forward to the spring bear season but I just got news I am deploying in Jan. Now the next time I will be able to hunt is next August!! So in short my season was going good but now it is going HORRIBLE!!! Lol What is one to do when they have to wait a 11 months from the last time they hunted until they can again??? Lol

As another Alaskan mine went less than perfect. The caribou tag I had filled it's quota and shut down in under a week. And this before my South Africa trip. Since then, just looking for birds. Possibly chasing ptarmigan next week. Otherwise I already have my applications in for sheep, goat, and bison drawing tags, plus that 'bou permit.

Them's the breaks.

This is what I get sent to me in the field from my buddies wife yesterday! You gotta hate it when they are right!

IMG_7854.JPG

I put a friend onto one of my target bucks at our place this morning; my first day hunting this fall. I saw lots of good bucks this morning, this is a good year for us. I’ll go out tomorrow for myself. I got notice a few days ago my trophies from my hunt is RSA this July are ready for shipping as well. Fall is my favorite time of year. Harvesting and counting blessings from the year.

IMG_2469.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

Good year for me!
4 deer this year
1 muley buck
2 muley doe
1 whitetail doe *first wt deer ever*
1 turkey *first*

No luck on bear, elk or antelope.
This year used:
TC Triumph 50cal w/BH209 and Thor 250's
Ruger American 6mm Creedmoor (yes 6 not 6.5)
Win 70 270 Win

Carried but not fired
Win M70 375 H&H

20181020_113321.jpg
kjmBeN.jpg
jJCsJ3.jpg
20180913_195453.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross