How do we get a new 4457 w/o an expiration of 9/22/22?

Nickcusato

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
South Africa, Botswana, USA
My 4457 on all my rifles expire on 9/22/2022. I still have old ones on a few rifle that have no expiration. Will US Customs be updating or do we use the same ones?

You have to take the rifles to a US Customs and Border Protection office.
Hint: Take the expired 4457's as they will make the issue of new one's for those rifles easier!

RSA requires a 4457 that is A.) Issued in this calendar year, and B.) Issued within 6 months of your trip.

Other nations have similar silly rules.

I assume that every trip I must print a new PDF updated 4457 and go get guns inspected by CBP.

RSA requires a 4457 that is A.) Issued in this calendar year, and B.) Issued within 6 months of your trip.

Other nations have similar silly rules.

I assume that every trip I must print a new PDF updated 4457 and go get guns inspected by CBP.

Yep...

I typically make my annual pilgrimage to South Africa in either June or July.. So I just plan on hitting up the local CBP office each year in early March for a new 4457.. and then contact Henry at Rifle Permits when I get home to help with the permits...

Just part of the whole planning process these days..

If they don’t make a new form you could also ask the customs officer to put an extra stamp over the date. It could potentially eliminate an issue. I wish they wouldn’t put a date on them. They don’t actually expire for CBP use.

I'm not going to put what I'd do on this forum, but I definitely know what I'd be doing with it. Font appears to be Arial :X3:

For my older rifles, I have the undated forms but not for my newer ones. I have used the undated ones for years- Not issues. I hope they stop with the expiration dates.

The newest 4457 I have was 2019 No expiration that I can find, there is a print date bottom right corner 8/92, the customs office I go to is a 1 man show that covers Central and South coast of Oregon, he may not even opened the newest 4457 forms yet

Attachments

• CBP Form 4457_1.pdf
    859.1 KB · Views: 50
I'm not going to put what I'd do on this forum, but I definitely know what I'd be doing with it. Font appears to be Arial :X3:
It's a US Form for US Customs. Take 2 forms. One being the original form with or without any date on it for US Customs when you return, and the other being a customized copy with a date the Foreign Customs will be happy with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you