How do we get a new 4457 w/o an expiration of 9/22/22?

Nickcusato

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
South Africa, Botswana, USA, Pennsylvania, Texas, Wyoming, Montana, Maryland, New Mexico, Utah.
My 4457 on all my rifles expire on 9/22/2022. I still have old ones on a few rifle that have no expiration. Will US Customs be updating or do we use the same ones?

You have to take the rifles to a US Customs and Border Protection office.
Hint: Take the expired 4457's as they will make the issue of new one's for those rifles easier!

RSA requires a 4457 that is A.) Issued in this calendar year, and B.) Issued within 6 months of your trip.

Other nations have similar silly rules.

I assume that every trip I must print a new PDF updated 4457 and go get guns inspected by CBP.

RSA requires a 4457 that is A.) Issued in this calendar year, and B.) Issued within 6 months of your trip.

Other nations have similar silly rules.

I assume that every trip I must print a new PDF updated 4457 and go get guns inspected by CBP.

Yep...

I typically make my annual pilgrimage to South Africa in either June or July.. So I just plan on hitting up the local CBP office each year in early March for a new 4457.. and then contact Henry at Rifle Permits when I get home to help with the permits...

Just part of the whole planning process these days..

If they don’t make a new form you could also ask the customs officer to put an extra stamp over the date. It could potentially eliminate an issue. I wish they wouldn’t put a date on them. They don’t actually expire for CBP use.

I'm not going to put what I'd do on this forum, but I definitely know what I'd be doing with it. Font appears to be Arial :X3:

For my older rifles, I have the undated forms but not for my newer ones. I have used the undated ones for years- Not issues. I hope they stop with the expiration dates.

The newest 4457 I have was 2019 No expiration that I can find, there is a print date bottom right corner 8/92, the customs office I go to is a 1 man show that covers Central and South coast of Oregon, he may not even opened the newest 4457 forms yet

Attachments

• CBP Form 4457_1.pdf
    859.1 KB · Views: 49
I'm not going to put what I'd do on this forum, but I definitely know what I'd be doing with it. Font appears to be Arial :X3:
It's a US Form for US Customs. Take 2 forms. One being the original form with or without any date on it for US Customs when you return, and the other being a customized copy with a date the Foreign Customs will be happy with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg