How dangerous are the ‘Big Five’?

As a former law enforcement officer, I will offer my usual quote on such topics from EH:

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."

My self I prefer hunting women. Of course that was a long time ago

I have another question in line with this thread. I (we) are slated to hunt our first time in SA, Limpopo. All plains game, beginner animals as well. D5 is on my list, sometime before I die but you have to crawl before walking, as they say.

I know where we are going has no elephants, lions, and I don't believe they have leopards either. My questions:

1) What is the likelihood of running into a buffalo, rhino or I guess a hippo?
2) How easy is it to get on their bad-side in terms of just being present in the bush?

I'm not necessarily afraid and in fact, I really hope to at least see one or more of the ones mentioned from a safe distance. I've read "Death in the Long Grass" and from what I gather, it seems like more of the bad encounters are from wounded animals or in more unmanaged/completely wild properties in other regions.

I have another question in line with this thread. I (we) are slated to hunt our first time in SA, Limpopo. All plains game, beginner animals as well. D5 is on my list, sometime before I die but you have to crawl before walking, as they say.

I know where we are going has no elephants, lions, and I don't believe they have leopards either. My questions:

2) How easy is it to get on their bad-side in terms of just being present in the bush?

I'm not necessarily afraid and in fact, I really hope to at least see one or more of the ones mentioned from a safe distance. I've read "Death in the Long Grass" and from what I gather, it seems like more of the bad encounters are from wounded animals or in more unmanaged/completely wild properties in other regions.
Next to Zero chance of accidently running into a Cape Buffalo or Rhino in Limpopo SA. I never say "never" but 98% you will only be near Cape Buffalo or Rhino in RSA if you are hunting them. If there are any on the farm your PH will know of them and probably point them out for photo opportunity or just avoid them.

Hippo...if your not swimming in rivers you don't have to worry about them. If you see one on land in the daylight it is usually just focused on getting to a river.

For all three, 98% of the time they just want to get away from you if you have not shot/wounded one. The only one of the 3 I have had come at us without being shot at was the Rhino. They seem to be more purely aggressive (in my admittedly limited experience) than the others. Have had Rhino come at us and chase the hunting vehicle for no reason other than they saw us. Never had Cape Buffalo or Hippo do that.

Honestly, depending on when you go, snakes would be a bigger danger in Limpopo than any big game animal and even that is a small chance

Next to Zero chance of accidently running into a Cape Buffalo or Rhino in Limpopo SA. I never say "never" but 98% you will only be near Cape Buffalo or Rhino in RSA if you are hunting them. If there are any on the farm your PH will know of them and probably point them out for photo opportunity or just avoid them.

Hippo...if your not swimming in rivers you don't have to worry about them. If you see one on land in the daylight it is usually just focused on getting to a river.

For all three, 98% of the time they just want to get away from you if you have not shot/wounded one. The only one of the 3 I have had come at us without being shot at was the Rhino. They seem to be more purely aggressive (in my admittedly limited experience) than the others. Have had Rhino come at us and chase the hunting vehicle for no reason other than they saw us. Never had Cape Buffalo or Hippo do that.

Honestly, depending on when you go, snakes would be a bigger danger in Limpopo than any big game animal and even that is a small chance

I appreciate this input. I think based on your feedback, rhino is probably the only one of the 3 as you said, that we may run into. I've heard from people who've gone with our outfitter that they have been in blinds by water holes and all of a sudden a rhino walks by 10 yds out. Knowing that, I assume they are also somewhat present on spot stalks as well. Hopefully, we get to see one albeit at a distance. It's also really good to know they sort of blind aggressiveness is as common as I've read. I imagine PH's are not too keen on having clients trampled or gored so that's a good thing as well.

If you are aware, the chances of bumping in to a buffalo are very small. They will generally run off when aware of you. However, a buffalo that stepped in a gin trap or lioness with cubs would be dangerous. So I don't think you can be specific but 1 or 2 people are killed every year in maybe 10 000 encounters with DG (tourists,cattle herders,PH's etc) I have spent many hours in the last 30 years working in the Bush without any serious injury and I dare say that living in Johannesburg is probably more dangerous. But I have lost 2 friends to elephants- when it happens,it gets serious real fast.

I appreciate this input. I think based on your feedback, rhino is probably the only one of the 3 as you said, that we may run into. I've heard from people who've gone with our outfitter that they have been in blinds by water holes and all of a sudden a rhino walks by 10 yds out. Knowing that, I assume they are also somewhat present on spot stalks as well. Hopefully, we get to see one albeit at a distance. It's also really good to know they sort of blind aggressiveness is as common as I've read. I imagine PH's are not too keen on having clients trampled or gored so that's a good thing as well.
It tends to be bad publicity if a client gets killed/trampled/mauled LOL ...so yea, PH's are not gonna let that happen.

Honestly, it is so rare that it is major (bad) news if it happens. I mean...google "hunter killed Africa"....won't find much.

Being charged by a wounded Buff? Most PH's have a story or two about that. But 99% of those stories end up with a dead buff in the dirt...maybe too close for comfort but dead. That is why PH's carry 500 NE Doubles :)

What is more common, but still rare, is dumb/naïve photo tourist becoming croc dinner by hanging out in/near rivers.

I think if they are honest with you, most PH's will tell you the only thing that scares them is tracking a wounded Lion or Leopard...in high grass.

Last edited:
Craig Boddington states in his videos,
"The most dangerous thing in Africa is a client with a loaded rifle."

Craig Boddington states in his videos,
"The most dangerous thing in Africa is a client with a loaded rifle."
I've also been pretty worried by a couple Game Scouts carrying AK's.

Last edited:
Just hanging out by the Badger bait;)
20190227_180735.jpg

Much more concerning!
20211012_171316.jpg

Just hanging out by the Badger bait;)
View attachment 514787

Much more concerning!
View attachment 514788
Exactly

No reason to spend your time worrying about four-legged animals lol

I hate those bastards.

Spend a lot of time hunting in the desert and never worry much about rattlesnakes. 99% of the rattlesnake bites are from the knee down. Good pair of tough, tall, leather boots protect you.

The problem with those bastards is they will rise up and look you in the eye…

Exactly

No reason to spend your time worrying about four-legged animals lol

I hate those bastards.

Spend a lot of time hunting in the desert and never worry much about rattlesnakes. 99% of the rattlesnake bites are from the knee down. Good pair of tough, tall, leather boots protect you.

The problem with those bastards is they will rise up and look you in the eye…
That black mamba was actually looking down at me! We drove past a dead tree it was living in. Damned thing was sticking straight out a couple feet from the tree and I pretty much jumped into the PH's lap on the other side of the seat! He was telling the driver to speed up, who of course stopped so that snake was lined up with the trackers in the back of the truck! The driver pulled ahead and that snake was winding his way down the tree when I shot it a few inches behind the head. The head was half cut off but it was on the ground still alive so I chopped it's head off. Of course it was still moving for several minutes;) And as I was trying to dig a hole with that panga to bury the head with the venom, the head tracker tied the head to branch to take to the witch doctor for Big Medicine.

That black mamba was actually looking down at me! We drove past a dead tree it was living in. Damned thing was sticking straight out a couple feet from the tree and I pretty much jumped into the PH's lap on the other side of the seat! He was telling the driver to speed up, who of course stopped so that snake was lined up with the trackers in the back of the truck! The driver pulled ahead and that snake was winding his way down the tree when I shot it a few inches behind the head. The head was half cut off but it was on the ground still alive so I chopped it's head off. Of course it was still moving for several minutes;) And as I was trying to dig a hole with that panga to bury the head with the venom, the head tracker tied the head to branch to take to the witch doctor for Big Medicine.
Yeah, I never had that happen with rattlesnakes out west lol

Just another day in Africa…YIKES!

Did you shoot it with your rifle? That’s the main reason I am always wishing to carry a handgun in Africa, loaded with snake shot. But of course that’s a big “no can do”.

Yeah, I never had that happen with rattlesnakes out west lol

Just another day in Africa…YIKES!

Did you shoot it with your rifle? That’s the main reason I would be wishing to carry a handgun in Africa, loaded with snake shot
22 magnum the PH had on the truck. We brought along a 22 LR and a bucket of cartridges. But that was on another truck. We pulled off mixing some 22 mag in with the Long Rifle so had about 100 mag and 400 or 500 LR. We wanted to take a shotgun but the ammo is so heavy and the cost in Tanzania is outrageous. So used the 22's to shoot birds;)

What is more common, but still rare, is dumb/naïve photo tourist becoming croc dinner by hanging out in/near rivers.

Having spent most of my life around water, I can appreciate the fact that what lurks under it is typically far scarier than what is on the dry sometimes.

Trust me, I will be staying far away from any water there. I've read the croc accounts for perhaps the most deaths of any of them there. "Mama didn't raise no fool" as my southern borne half of the family would say.

Having spent most of my life around water, I can appreciate the fact that what lurks under it is typically far scarier than what is on the dry sometimes.

Trust me, I will be staying far away from any water there. I've read the croc accounts for perhaps the most deaths of any of them there. "Mama didn't raise no fool" as my southern borne half of the family would say.
Crocs and Hippos are just about tied for most human deaths in Africa. Crocs slightly more.
But that said...Crocs barely crack the Top 5 for human deaths by an animal in Africa...they come in at #5

Most people here won't guess the #1 Killer Animal in Africa without Googling it usually...but when they think about it, it makes complete sense.

Animal Deaths in Africa

#10 - Rhino's kill a few people each year. Main reason it isn't more is because there are so few left.

#9 - Lions kill around 70 people a year. Interesting thing about this is most all of the "Killer Lions" are sick/old males who cannot effectively hunt prey animals anymore and turn to humans because they are easier to catch than an Impala or Kudu and who don't have claws/horns to fight back. The old/sick Lions start to prey on humans out of desperation.

#8 - Cape Buffalo kill about 200 people a year

#7 - Elephant kill about 500 people a year

#6 - Hippo kill about 3,000 people a year

#5 - Nile Crocs kill also kill around 3,000 people a year

#4 - Tsetse Flies kill about 10,000 humans a year via transmission of Sleeping Sickness

#3 - Black Mamba - Exact numbers for Black Mamba deaths are unknown, but snakes kill approximately 30,000 people a year in Africa and it is estimated that the Black Mamba is less than Animal #2. Black Mamba are the most aggressive snake that often don't back away but will even pursue humans. Nasty ass snake.

#2 - Puff Adder - As noted, the exact numbers are unknown but snakes kill 30,000 people a year and it is believed more come from Puff Adder than any other snake. Most happen because their camouflage is so good and unlike our rattlesnake, they don't warn you to back off. They just sit still and depend on the camouflage and end up getting stepped on and bite the victim.

#1 - The Mosquito kills more than a million people a year in Africa from Malaria, Dengue Fever and Yellow Fever....Malaria kills 3,000 African children a day.

So there is the list of what really should worry you in Africa. That said, almost all of those deaths are from native villagers not hunters with guns and PHs/Trackers in front of them and Malaria Prophylactic Medicine in their bag.

But it should show you how important it is to take the Malaria Prophylactic if hunting in a area where Malaria is common.

Last edited:
Crocs and Hippos are just about tied for most human deaths in Africa. Crocs slightly more.
But that said...Crocs barely crack the Top 5 for human deaths by an animal in Africa...they come in at #5

Most people here won't guess the #1 Killer Animal in Africa without Googling it usually...but when they think about it, it makes complete sense.

Animal Deaths in Africa

#10 - Rhino's kill a few people each year. Main reason it isn't more is because there are so few left.

#9 - Lions kill around 70 people a year. Interesting thing about this is most all of the "Killer Lions" are sick/old males who cannot effectively hunt prey animals anymore and turn to humans because they are easier to catch than an Impala or Kudu and who don't have claws/horns to fight back. The old/sick Lions start to prey on humans out of desperation.

#8 - Cape Buffalo kill about 200 people a year

#7 - Elephant kill about 500 people a year

#6 - Hippo kill about 3,000 people a year

#5 - Nile Crocs kill also kill around 3,000 people a year

#4 - Tsetse Flies kill about 10,000 humans a year via transmission of Sleeping Sickness

#3 - Black Mamba - Exact numbers for Black Mamba deaths are unknown, but snakes kill approximately 30,000 people a year in Africa and it is estimated that the Black Mamba is less than Animal #2. Black Mamba are the most aggressive snake that often don't back away but will even pursue humans. Nasty ass snake.

#2 - Puff Adder - As noted, the exact numbers are unknown but snakes kill 30,000 people a year and it is believed more come from Puff Adder than any other snake. Most happen because their camouflage is so good and unlike our rattlesnake, they don't warn you to back off. They just sit still and depend on the camouflage and end up getting stepped on and bite the victim.

#1 - The Mosquito kills more than a million people a year in Africa from Malaria, Dengue Fever and Yellow Fever....Malaria kills 3,000 African children a day.

So there is the list of what really should worry you in Africa. That said, almost all of those deaths are from native villagers not hunters with guns and PHs/Trackers in front of them and Malaria Prophylactic Medicine in their bag.

But it should show you how important it is to take the Malaria Prophylactic if hunting in a area where Malaria is common.

I think the allure and mystique of the "Big 5" lures people away from the real concerns like snakes, malarial infections, and insect bites. Ironically, I spent some time in Brazil right before (lucky us) "Zika" became a problem. I am fairly certain myself and all of our party was infected. It had no real effect as none of us were planning children nor pregnant at the time. The good news is my yellow fever vax is still valid.

Now snakes, that concerns me. I also spent some time in the frontier of Colombia near the Venezuela border 4 years ago. We did run across a few "tres narices" which is the 3 nose snake, aka: the fer de lance. It became abundantly clear to me that you needed to mind your step as they told us we would likely be dead 4-5x over before we made it to the nearest hospital that was 3 hours, via dirt road, away.

This is all really great info and as a novice to Africa and African hunting, it is much appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross