Hogs

Carter123

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
Been told South African bushpigs are too big to shoot with a 223 , but I see many people in America shoot hogs with 223 . I’d be shooting out of a hunting rifle not an AR , any opinions on the matter ?

A 223Rem with the right bullets will kill near any thing below a certain weight but there are better opinions .

I suspect you are a SA resident & might not have a heap of rifles to choose from but I think you could borrow a larger caliber, as a couple of things Bushpigs are tough, sneaky, desirabe & hard to get a shot at so it is best to put the odds in your favor & I think a 308Win with good 150gr is a nice start (7X57 140gr ?) .

Do you reload & what bullets are available to you if you do, remember the bullet does all the killing ?

I was happy to have a 7mmRM in hand for this one. Stunts may work on occasions, but why risk it?
20190805_215225.jpg

That's a nice Boar @blacks wouldn't want that to get away wounded or as bad come straight for you wounded lol !

I have been chasing them heaps ever year but not lots of them in my area, the ones that are have been super spooky & I only have a couple of boars & none are as nice as that guy, I need one like that !

You need to remember feral hogs are non-native to North America and are shot as a pest. It doesn’t always matter if they are recovered or not. A 223 will kill a bushpig but there are much better options since recovering the animal and an ethical kill will be important. Also, shooting from a bolt action rifle or an AR makes no difference to how a 223 shoots, just appearances.

One of my friends constantly shoots wild boars, even from a .222 caliber. He has a lot of practice, he easily negotiates with the owners of hunting grounds, because he leaves them meat. He is a Muslim himself and does not eat pork. But he only shoots at the neck from an ambush. One day he suddenly saw a couple of wolves, and mechanically shot one of them, and then lamented: they were standing so that one shot could hook both, but for this it was necessary to deviate from the stereotype. The second shot could not be made.

I don't shoot at hogs with a 223 because I don't that it with me when I am hunting. However, that round is more than enough to kill them. I am not interested to eating them, and leave them for the Coyotes to eat.

I've shot pigs in the head with a .223 when an opportunity presented and they drop in the spot. From a blind over a bait you might get a headshot opportunity but if you are hunting them as your primary game then it's going to be considered small for Bushpig.

A 223Rem with the right bullets will kill near any thing below a certain weight but there are better opinions .

I suspect you are a SA resident & might not have a heap of rifles to choose from but I think you could borrow a larger caliber, as a couple of things Bushpigs are tough, sneaky, desirabe & hard to get a shot at so it is best to put the odds in your favor & I think a 308Win with good 150gr is a nice start (7X57 140gr ?) .

Do you reload & what bullets are available to you if you do, remember the bullet does all the killing ?

I do have other rifles available, mainly 308 and 270 was just wondering if a 223 would be effective

If you are traveling to Africa, you will be limited in the number of firearms you can travel with. Most people choose something in the .30 caliber range for smaller game like the 308WIN, 30-06 or 300WM. Then also take something larger for possible DG, but it can vary, typically .375 caliber and above like 375H&H, 416RM or 458LOTT...etc

What I'm saying is you would be tying up one of your two choices with a very small caliber that most would consider too small for an animal of this size. There could also be legal requirements specific to the game where you hunt that are based on energy levels or caliber.

Personally, I'd consider the .223REM too small for a visiting hunter to be using to harvest a trophy of this size. IMO the absolute minimum would be a 270WIN shooting 140 grain premium ammo like the Swift A-Frame. Your best bet is to consult with your PH and see what he would recommend.

What area did u shoot this pig in ? Looks massive
Oh, that's nothing. He is a taxidermist. He is stretching the skin before he mounts it. It's gonna be huge when it's done.
Watching this one with interest.

Image1644758691.780061.jpg

I shot this hog a week or so ago while deer hunting. We just shoot them with whatever is on hand, in this case a .325. We do kill them with .223’s, but we get some runners. These things can be tough if not hit right the first time. If I was after the trophy I’d use something heavier than a .223.

Drop of blood is a trophy fee.

my bush pigs were killed in daylight as targets of opportunity. Brush/grass was thick, presentation anything but perfect, and the shot window fleeting. Glad to have enough gun.

Here in Florida pigs are nuisances and people hunt shoot them with whatever they want , most are just for eradication.... we take a bunch of pigs with rimfire and few hardly take a step if you put it in the light switch, that's not to say I'd suggest that to everyone and actually not many at that , but as with anything in my experience shot placement and bullet choice are more important than caliber on our piggy's but I know nothing about African game I'm learning as much as I can though as I hope to make a trip soon with me and my pops

My 4yr old took this little pig with her .17 hmr@62yrds
(For the life of me I can't get the pics to load yet)

Last edited:
I'd shoot a wild hog out in the hay field with a .223 if that's what I had in my hand at the time but I wouldn't fly half way around the world to specifically hunt them with one. I'm hunting them in July over bait and I'm packing my trusty 30.06.

Drop of blood is a trophy fee.

my bush pigs were killed in daylight as targets of opportunity. Brush/grass was thick, presentation anything but perfect, and the shot window fleeting. Glad to have enough gun.

Yep, I’ve killed one bush pig. I happened to have a .458 Lott in my hands. Turns out that is enough gun for a bush pig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OpalBoettc

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.