Hog/boar/pig gun

Perttime mentioned "ARs in .458 SOCOM, or similar, for Moose"
Also works well on Nilgai, feral hogs, etc.

Beemaaa said "Truthfully, the NEMO 300WM to me is a novelty."
I agree, but the NEMO .458 WinMag??? What a culling rifle!

My problem is that I'm not as tough as that woman. :D

Truthfully, the NEMO 300WM to me is a novelty.
I'm not an AR (or AK for that matter) guy.
I understand it's place and why people like the AR platform.
And I agree with your opinion on barrel length/300WM/308W/6.5/338.
It's just not for me.

For Hog/Boar/Pig...I'd rather just take my R8 in 375H&H for my wife and 416RM for me.
I'll stick with my bolt guns and suffer the problems of dealing with the longer reload times.

416RM on a pig?! That thing would hit the pig and packaged bacon and chops would come out the other side :) Hmmm, not a bad idea if would do that :)

cars
Truck me mate imagine a bump stock on it. That would light the eyes and shoulder up.
Cheers mate Bob

416RM on a pig?! That thing would hit the pig and packaged bacon and chops would come out the other side :) Hmmm, not a bad idea if would do that :)
My wife is from SE Georgia coast.
We are talking about going down later this year.
Maybe after the world stops loosing their mind with the C19.
Call it a possible alternate trip to other plans we had.

BTW - Just got confirmation from Euro Optic.
The R8 Intuition, 416RM and scopes will be on their way this week.
Might be pig hunting with a big bore after all.

I have personally had a great degree of success against our 135 kilogram Bengal Bush Boars , with my 7 millimeter Remington Magnum and 175 grain Remington Core Lokt soft nose cartridges.
32A01898-0C71-464A-8E24-59F22F5B7013.png

Mine is a custom job made for me by custom American rifle maker , Mr. Jim Zahm of Oregon, USA in 1976 on a Springfield Model 1903 receiver , employing a stock of Turkish walnut and a Douglas barrel .

There is only 1 contender for this position -
The Winchester Model 1894 lever rifle...
chambered in .30-30 Winchester calibre .

Nothing surpasses a lever rifle for needing to dispatch multiple wild boars at close range ... extremely swiftly.

I used to have an American client who took down 16 Wild Boars ( with most weighing in excess of 300 pounds ) with 20 shots... during a culling program for these brutes in Kooch Bihar .

The best sort of ammunition available , back in those days... was the 170 grain Winchester Super X flat nose soft point cartridge . Most Wild Boars needed only 1 reasonably well aimed shot from a .30-30 Winchester calibre rifle ... to bring down.

Fellow Hunters,

I am +1 with Major Khan on the topic of a light, fast handling lever action, caliber .30-30, firing the standard 170 grain flat nosed soft, being pretty much the perfect piggy getter.

The Winchester Model ‘94 is perhaps the most traditional / classic for this caliber.
I’ve owned more than one or two of these over my lifetime and I enjoyed them.
My best one was a Model 64, which is the Model 94 with 24” barrel, half magazine and semi-pistol grip.
It had a Lyman receiver/peep sight on it and was very accurate.
However, due to needing money for Safari costs over the years, I sold all of my Winchester collection, to help pay for multiple hunts in Africa.

My present day .30-30 is a late 1960’s or early 1970’s vintage Marlin Model 336A (Marlin’s answer to the Winchester Model 64).
I bought it used, quite a few years ago for less than $300.us dollars.
Although it is no Winchester, nonetheless it is just as reliable plus, it is also quite accurate.
And, as the saying goes; “Don’t laugh,it’s paid for”.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Fellow Hunters,

I am +1 with Major Khan on the topic of a light, fast handling lever action, caliber .30-30, firing the standard 170 grain flat nosed soft, being pretty much the perfect piggy getter.

The Winchester Model ‘94 is perhaps the most traditional / classic for this caliber.
I’ve owned more than one or two of these over my lifetime and I enjoyed them.
My best one was a Model 64, which is the Model 94 with 24” barrel, half magazine and semi-pistol grip.
It had a Lyman receiver/peep sight on it and was very accurate.
However, due to needing money for Safari costs over the years, I sold all of my Winchester collection, to help pay for multiple hunts in Africa.

My present day .30-30 is a late 1960’s or early 1970’s vintage Marlin Model 336A (Marlin’s answer to the Winchester Model 64).
I bought it used, quite a few years ago for less than $300.us dollars.
Although it is no Winchester, nonetheless it is just as reliable plus, it is also quite accurate.
And, as the saying goes; “Don’t laugh,it’s paid for”.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
Why thank you so much , Paul !
It feels re assuring to know that that another professional also speaks highly of the Winchester Model 1894 lever rifle .
Now , give me the real good news . You ARE planning on purchasing another original Winchester Model 1894 lever rifle again some day , aren't you ?
Master @Wyatt Smith purchased 1 extremely beautiful specimen which he was showing me the other day .

Velo Dog, My 1977 vintage of the 336A came from a friend about 16 years ago and I'm in total agreement with your assessment of it. Those 24" barrels do look good!

Why thank you so much , Paul !
It feels re assuring to know that that another professional also speaks highly of the Winchester Model 1894 lever rifle .
Now , give me the real good news . You ARE planning on purchasing another original Winchester Model 1894 lever rifle again some day , aren't you ?
Master @Wyatt Smith purchased 1 extremely beautiful specimen which he was showing me the other day .

Good Morning Poton,

Here in Alaska we are blessed to be surrounded by hunting rifles for sale, of pretty much any description.
A lot of hunters and gun collectors live here.

At the moment, I have no plan to own another M94 Winchester.
Neither do I have a plan to not own another one lol.
One may unexpectedly pop up for sale at a reasonable price, at any time here.
Or a M94 owner could make me an offer to trade for some firearm I want to be rid of.
I do like all of the lever action Winchester rifles I have tried, (except the Model 88).
That one does not really fascinate me, due to its detachable magazine design.

IMO, detachable magazine weapons are perfect for defending ones self from multiple attackers in a gun battle situation.
For hunting big game, I do not prefer my rifles
to have any removable parts, except of course a removable sling.
And, in some scenarios, I could possibly want a quick removable scope (claw mounts being my favorite for this).
For myself, the removable magazine on a hunting rifle is the answer to a question I have never asked.

Well anyway, getting back on track here, if I ever come into possession of another Model 94 Winchester, I will post something about it, right here in the world’s greatest forum.

Cheers,
Paul.

Last edited:
My 500 Jeffery seems to do the job. Shot this piggie between the eyes as he was walking towards me out of the brush at 8 feet.

lTcDfqr.jpg
I cannot tell which is finer ... The trophy or the rifle , Colorado .
By the way ... Your .500 Jeffery calibre bolt rifle looks like a BRNO ZKK 602 . Am I accurate ?

Colorado,
Is that pig a feral Hampshire? You hunting near a farm?

Colorado,
Is that pig a feral Hampshire? You hunting near a farm?

Actually a rancher in Western Colorado bought some Russian boars to hunt, they engineered an escape with some of his pigs and they've all gone feral. He has a 5000 acre ranch and the place is overrun. It cost me $250 to hunt on his ranch. My son (young man in the picture) got a larger one, 550 lbs. They are not friendly.

G'day all,

Just got back from an outback pig hunt. One thing I learned is that the country and hunting is tough on your rifles so I've decided for our next hunt (Jan 2020) i want to have a dedicated pig rifle that I don't mind getting banged and

Our main styles of hunting are stalking bedding/wallow areas and spotlighting/driving around and chasing in a buggy.

I've narrowed it down to the venerable 30-30 or a ruger scout 308 or similar. Don't want a scope and don't love red dots so wither open sights or a ghost ring is preferable.

I do like bolts but the ruger, savage and howa scout and ghost ring style rifles all have a muzzle break. Given that I hunt with other guys a booming rifle isn't ideal but given they all have it I wonder if they're kicking little buggers without it?

Any suggestions or considerations from guys that have chased them a lot more than I?
for close range big hunting I highly recommend a Marlin 336 in 35 rem or a ruger 77 in 358 win.

I'm as "died-in-the-wool" bolt action shooter as anyone but by being so I believe you may be excluding one of the most useful rifles for your particular pursuit.

I have a Remington 7600 pump in 30/06 that I use down here for Sambar hunting which would also be ideal for your purpose.
Lots of fire-power for mobs, light-weight and very portable AND, mine at least, shoots 3/4" groups at 100.
One of these in .308 either carbine or full length would be hard to beat as a specific purpose hog gun, at least in my opinion.

Good luck with your search.
I agree with the 7600 but in a 35 whelen. DRT, there is no replacement for displacement !!! Most eating size hogs are perfectly fine with a 308, but when you run into a huge I'll tempered boar you WILL wAnt the displacement, trust me. Been there done that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross