Hog/boar/pig gun

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by JPbowhunter, Oct 19, 2019.

1. spike.t

spike.t AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
    Don't believe you can have them in oz

2. BigSteve57

BigSteve57 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA, Local gun clubs & shooting range.
    Hunted:
    USA, Namibia
    Ah right. Sorry. I also screwed up on the ammo which was really the important part of the post. It matters not what rifle you use, IMHO. The rifle is indeed chambered for 7.62×51mm NATO but I actually used Remington 308 Win 168 gr Barnes TSX for hunting purposes. It is a fabulous hunting round. Very accurate.

EDIT: the ammo # is HTP308W2

Hogs are very aggressive BTW. Gut piles were gone in as little as 30 minutes as the next sounder to move through got a whiff.
    Be careful out there.

These were typical:
    IMG_2571s.JPG IMG_2572s.JPG
    This was about 1/2 the take - about 10 cu ft here. Another 7 1/2 cu ft was in the upstairs freezer. We ate for a year. Also made lots of bird suet from the fat rendered from the burger.
    IMG_2579s.jpg
    Our first meal was a couple of huge trays of lasagna made with hog burger:
    IMG_2577s.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    BeeMaa likes this.

3. mdwest

mdwest AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
    my primary pig popper here in the US is an AR15 type rifle.. 556 will drop about any hog with the right bullet and good shot placement... I'm building an AR upper reciever in 350 Legend now.. with the .350 Legend there shouldnt be a pig anywhere in North America that cant be taken... I've also got a .300 BLK option for the AR..

all of that said (and understanding that having an AR in OZ probably isnt an option..)... I've hunted and killed dozens of hogs with a simple ruger american compact in .308.. Its a tiny little rifle with a 16" barrel, short stock, etc.. I've found it to be excellent for pigs, deer, etc. when you know youre going to be shooting at 150 yards or less.. with 165gr TTSX its devastating on the porkers.. I've never had one move more than an inch after being hit by that little rifle..

Oldschool280 likes this.

4. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    E
    Trust me you wouldn't want to take a merkel rifle on this type of hunt! Bulldust and nice rifles don't make for good bedfellows.

5. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    I don't think I have the angle eject model so my understanding is that something like a lyman receiver site will be required. Don't think Williams is available in Australia. Not sure if the Lyman still requires a new front sight?

6. Fastrig

Fastrig AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    The Explorer model is their “abusive environment” model....not designed for case queen duty :) Guess nice is relative, but I typically buy good rifles as tools and put them through their paces in the field, just like I do with Snap On wrenches for the shop.

https://www.merkel-die-jagd.de/en/products/guns/bolt-action-rifles/helix-explorer/

7. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Elite

jp,
    those sights can be used with the insert screwed out for a ghost ring type sight.
    bruce.

JPbowhunter likes this.

8. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    I was thinking of trying that out, glad to know it works! Thanks mate.

9. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    The Williams sight I'm talking about can be used on top eject Model 94(s)
    [​IMG]

10. flatwater bill

flatwater bill AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA endowment member/Life member
    Hunted:
    NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
    Shootist.........I have that Wm's sight on a model 94 in 375W. It is so great, but wish it was steel and not aluminum, as it is vulnerable. Shot a lot of pigs in Oz with a 94 in 30-30..........which did just fine.............FWB

11. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Just to keep things ticking along while i have the thread going. Any suggestions for factory ammo.
    Thinking either:

Remington hog hammer (barnes tsx) $38/box

Winchester power point $30/box

PPU soft point $25/box.

Federal Fusion $34/box.

12. Mr. Zorg

Mr. Zorg AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    FWIW my Interarms Mark X (Zastava) rifle in .25-06 Remington with 24" barrel provided admirable service for me on a hog hunt back in Spring 2019. However I'm a meat hunter and use a scope to take skull and neck CNS shots. No tracking, maximum meat yield, and maximum quality meat with no extreme exertion after I take the shot.

For your objectives, I would select a blunt tip bonded bullet design such as Norma Oryx. No need for a sleek polymer tipped projectile.

For my thoughts regarding the rifle, I have a Remington 7600 pump with polymer furniture that I thought about making a dedicated brush gun with a 18.5" .308 barrel I picked up for $50 on eBay. Replacement polymer furniture, if ever needed / desired, is widely and inexpensively available, same for aftermarket 10 round magazines. Faster multiple shots than a bolt action (for me anyway) with no issues of "stuff" interfering with a semi-auto action.

It's currently sporting a 22" .243 barrel as my initial thought was to use it as a first rifle for a nephew who was asking to get into such things before his mother (my sister) dissuaded him from it last autumn. I think there's an Aussie firm that sells a part that makes barrel changes a breeze for these rifles. Same magazine for .308 as .243.

https://www.lumleyarms.com/7600--7615

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2019

13. Kawshik Rahman

Kawshik Rahman AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Are you more comfortable with a bolt operation rifle or an under lever operation rifle ?
    I have had clients use both the .308 bore by Winchester ( which was called 7.62 millimeter in India in our time ) and .3030 bore by Winchester , with great effect on boars . I made one personal observation : Some people find it faster to operate an under lever a little quicker than cycling a rifle bolt ( of course this varies from person to person ). In terms of accuracy and power , neither are lacking for pigs. If l were shooting them from a distance , l would opt for the .308 bore. If l were close to them and there was a possibility that one of they might charge at me , then l would opt for a .3030 under lever rifle .

CBH Australia and Shootist43 like this.

14. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Elite

jp,
    at those prices you would have to try the ppu stuff.
    2nd try would be power point.
    there is a fair bit of it sold in oz.
    in my 308s I used riverbrand reloads which were quite fast opening and very effective.
    I believe pigs succumb to shock more than some animals.
    bruce.

15. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    I'd agree with that, I shot 3 boars ranging from 50 - 70 kg on the recent trip with my '06 and 150gn power points, they all folded like a well shot duck!

Those prices and ammo's are in Melbourne which is a bit of a drive. Locally it'll be whatever they have in stock.

16. GeoffB

GeoffB AH Member

Member of:
    SCI, SSAA, ADA
    Hunted:
    Australia, NZ, USA, South Africa
    For the .308 I can recommend the Buffalo River/OSA brand 308WIN ammo with the 135gr Sierra HP at 3000fps.
    These are made over here in Australia by ADI/Thales.
    All my pig hunting buddies and I use these.
    Hit a pig at any angle standing or on the run and they just smash them.
    I go halves with my mate in a 480 round bulk tin and they end up at AUD$1.38 per shot.(Cleaver Firearms, Brisbane price)
    They are 0.13c more per round than the PPU rounds but far more effective in my opinion.
    They are also available in a standard 20 round box if you want to try them first.

17. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    It's buried in a post a few back but I ended up buying a 30-30. Cheers anyway mate

18. IvW

IvW AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASA, CHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
    9.3x74R/12ga Combination,open sights
    7x65R/12ga Combination, opensight and QD scope release with see through mounts
    12ga/12ga SxS, 24 " barrels,ghost ring sight fitted

BeeMaa and HWL like this.

19. perttime

perttime AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    What kind of distances do you expect to shoot at?

20. IvW

IvW AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASA, CHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
    from 1-200m...