Hog/boar/pig gun

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by JPbowhunter, Oct 19, 2019.

1. BeeMaa

BeeMaa AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI
    Hunted:
    Eastern US & RSA
    This is where I was going...12 gauge shotgun.
    Semi-Auto, Pump, O/U or SxS will all work well with the correct barrel and ammo.

I saw you picked up a 30-30.
    Be nice to see a few pictures...

2. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Both mates had 12 gauge lever shotguns, they just didn't seem to be enough on the big boars. Don't get me wrong, they slowed them up after 5 or 6 shots but not ideal in my books. Worked well on the smaller pigs though.

Aus doesn't work quite like that, need to get the permit to acquire and transferred into my name before I get my hands on it. It's a pre '82 non angle eject model, not sure of the year yet but can check when I get it via serial number. Will put a reciever mounted peep on I think. Good for 5 - 100 m

BeeMaa likes this.

3. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Fanatic

I don’t think you can go wrong with either the .308 or .30-30. I shot a pig years ago with my .270 Win. But as far as sights go, if you want to use open sights at dusk, dark or dim light, I found a neat trick years ago. Bend a common, green fluorescent light stick so it starts glowing. Cut into the light stick and using a Q Tip or something similar, take the liquid and put it on both your front sight and rear V or Buckhorn style sight. Wala! Instant night sights that will glow quite a while. Put the cut light stick in a zip lock baggy so air can’t get to it, and you can reuse the liquid for your sights at least all night and probably longer. It works really well!

Fastrig likes this.

4. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Elite

jp,
    those rear sights are still ok at 200 yds.
    shotguns just lack versatility.
    bruce.

5. Alchemist

Alchemist AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NSA , SA Wingshooters
    I hunt warthog and bush pig in the maize fields and bush. I used to use a shot gun with slugs and a 357 Mag revolver as back up. The problem is the the shotgun has 2 slugs only. When the bush pig comes for you , 2 is not a lot. Second is that the shotgun is too long to swing in the maize fields.
    I now use a Marlin 336 Y in 30-30 Win with an Aimpoint red dot sight. Short and compact and 5+1 bullets.

112DEFC6-C458-46D0-B2C7-B9C93FA82BD5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2019

6. crs

crs AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    CRS, NRA Patron Member, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
    Hunted:
    RSA
    Alchemist,
    A compact Marlin can be a handy tool in the right hands.

One of my friends used a Marlin .45-70 as his close in gun for leopard and it never failed him.

Alchemist, CoElkHunter and Fastrig like this.

7. Fastrig

Fastrig AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Great choice in the 45-70...fast and delivers a heavy punch...45 long colt lever action works great in close as well

8. Oldschool280

Oldschool280 AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    M1a scout squad?

9. CBH Australia

CBH Australia AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
    Hunted:
    Australia
    So I read you got a .30-30, have fun with it. Other options maybe out there.
    Maybe I would suggest a Rem 7600 in .308, my mate would say the Ruger Scout in .308,
    have you seen the Tikka CTR? They do a .308 with 10 shot mag, medium weight and a Pic rail suitable for the red dot. I’ve done some good fast shooting with my Tikka CTR with scopes, waiting for a PTA to collect another CTR.
    The .30-30 is well regarded in Australia and capable but with Several factory loads available at good prices the .308 would be a good option for high volume shooting, I don’t care if I lose cheap .308 cases in the bush. I get twitchy about dropping my 7mm-08 brass as they can be pricey to source.
    Keep an eye out for good deals on Usedguns .308 with average weight is not harsh, worst case $100 for a Limbsaver recoil pad is worth it.
    A new CTR may retail for $1800+ there are some secondhand for under $1200, Tikka just work I think people change stuff and sometimes we get deals, presumably most are honest.