Heym vs Kriegsoff Double Rifles

Discussion in 'Double Rifles' started by norfolk shooter, Sep 12, 2016.

1. norfolk shooter

norfolk shooter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASC
    Hunted:
    UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
    @Velo Dog thanks for that input it has helped

Velo Dog likes this.

2. CDorroh

CDorroh AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    Pardon my ignorance, and I know this is off-topic, but do you mind giving a brief explanation of the laws you are referring to in the UK? Being from the U.S., I'm not in the loop on this one. What would one have to do to own a .450/400 or a .470 NE in the UK?

3. norfolk shooter

norfolk shooter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASC
    Hunted:
    UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
    In the uk each firearm has to have a calibre specific designation on you licence. You are then given an ammunition allowance for that calibre. Expanding ammunition on the other hand is a restricted item unless you have permission to aquire on your licence. But then that too is calibre specific. I had a six month battle to get my 375 H&H cleared and get expanding ammo for it.
    The funny thing is most of the firearm enquiry officers don't know the first thing about the different calibres out there.

4. peras

peras AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA HSC
    Hunted:
    South Africa,Zimbabwe,Mozambique
    Manish, just toss a coin and buy a double.

norfolk shooter likes this.

5. CDorroh

CDorroh AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    That's unfortunate. I think it's interesting they discriminate against expanding ammunition, when IMO solids or jacketed bullets would be more likely to pose a potential public safety hazard due to over-penetrating through your target and whatever is behind it. In my experience a jacketed round is also more likely to ricochet than a soft point. That's got to be frustrating to live in the home of so many great gun builders where so many historic hunting calibers were also developed, but to have so many legal barriers to owning one. Alas, I digress.

My experience with double rifles has thus far been limited to simply admiring them. I suspect that admiration may eventually lead to greater things, but not for a while anyhow. That said, if I were investing in a double I would want one in classic flanged chambering. .450 NE would probably be my first choice, with .470 NE and .450/400 runner-ups. However, I am blessed with more lax firearms laws than you are (for the time being - I'm sure that will change in the future). In your circumstances, I too would be more compelled to consider buying one in .375 H&H. Here's an idea. You could purchase the Heym in .375 since you are already licensed for that caliber. In the meantime, start working on the licensure for whatever caliber would be your ideal preference. If you get approved, you could later trade the .375 for another double in your preferred caliber when the opportunity arose. Then again, if you were to be completely satisfied with the .375, you may never see a reason to trade.

6. norfolk shooter

norfolk shooter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASC
    Hunted:
    @CDorroh Its against the law in the UK to shoot game with non expanding ammo. I know its stupid. To top it off I have tried to get something in the 400 group to which they say you have a DG cal already we wont grant you expanding ammo for the bigger one. But I can use it on a range. :A Bonk::A Blowup::A Whacky:

7. Velo Dog

Velo Dog AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member.
    Hunted:
    South Africa 3 times, Namibia 2 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
    If Billary Clinton gets elected, all of us here will soon "be in the loop".

sierraone likes this.

8. norfolk shooter

norfolk shooter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASC
    Hunted:
    I think I might wait until December and if the heym is still there it will make a nice 35th birthday/Christmas present for me. If it's gone than I can have chat with Krieghoff or Chapues for that matter in February

9. CDorroh

CDorroh AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada

FUBAR

I can understand requiring expanding bullets for hunting (this is often the case with several game species in the U.S. as well), but to then turn around and create so many barriers to acquiring expanding bullets is beyond words. Even on the shooting range, I would consider expanding bullets safer for the same reasons I listed above. It sounds like a back door way to restrict hunting without directly saying that is what you're doing. Regarding the licensure approval, with political BS like this in the US, it sometimes is very helpful to "know someone" involved in the process. I don't know if either your dealer or perhaps the gun manufacturer might have some connections and be able to lobby for you so that your application might get approved? Having the right person review an application (for anything) can often times be the difference in getting it approved. Just a thought.

Precisely. And then we will be FUBAR.

10. Gundog

Gundog New Member

Forget about a KGun, possibly the worst gun company to get service from.

11. Jumbo

Jumbo AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAGA, SA Hunters
    Hunted:
    RSA
    Hey Gundog, interested in your comment?

Why do you say that about their service? I have had some really good support from Ralph and from our local agent is RSA. Is this relevant to your local agent, or to the Factory?

12. Gundog

Gundog New Member

Relevant to the factory. You will find a better explanation under my post " Krieghoff Service".

Jumbo likes this.

13. matt85

matt85 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, and Namibia
    ive handled and shot both, while the Krieghoff will work the Heym will be a nicer gun. if both are available for the same price then the Heym is a better choice.

-matt

Velo Dog and bassasdaindia like this.

14. Fr8liner

Fr8liner AH Veteran

@matt85 where would you rate the Merkel out of the three with Krieghoff & Heym

15. Foxi

Foxi AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa-,Gwayi- + Save River.Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
    im not matt85 ,apologize for my answer unasked.
    But I know a little bit about these firms here in Germany.
    All three are good companies.
    But Merkel has from all three the lowest retail value.
    I would choose a Heym, not better than Krieghoff ,but I ve (and friends) bolt action (and others ) guns from Heym since decades,never a problem.I like Heym.

Foxi

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    Mbizi Safaris and Velo Dog like this.

16. EDELWEISS

EDELWEISS AH Enthusiast

Hunted:
    US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
    How'bout this--WHICH ONE FEELS BETTER? Cuz thats the one to pick

17. Fr8liner

Fr8liner AH Veteran

Thank you @Foxi I had a feeling that from the prices the Heym is ahead!!
    Means I need to save for longer

18. spike.t

spike.t AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
    @Fr8liner if you are looking for a good strong working type rifle at a reasonable price the merkel is very good. i would have one over a kreighoff but then i just dont like them...:)

19. matt85

matt85 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, and Namibia
    Merkel produces "budget" rifles on an "assembly line". while ive not heard many bad things about Merkel, i would not put them into the same category as custom and semi-custom rifles. before buying a Merkel id recommend trying the rifle first to make sure it shoots properly and fits you properly.

-matt

Fr8liner likes this.

20. lionman

lionman New Member

Member of:
    PHASA, SCI, SA Predators Assosiation, WRSA, SAGCA
    Hunted:
    Tajikistan, USA, Norway, Pakistan, Botswana, Zimbabwe. Tanzania, New Zealand, Zambia. Namibia
    Choose the Heym. The Krieghoff trigger cocking mechanism an disadvantage in quick engage. U buy double for short distance dangerous game hunts. So faster and more simple in engagement to a shot the better your chance of survival

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2016
    Mbizi Safaris likes this.