Heym Model 89 in 500 NE

Ive got 570gr Swift A-frames and Barnes 570gr solids regulated. Both are just a little over 2000fps maybe around 2030fps or so.

I would NOT recommend Barnes TSX for the 500 NE cartridge. Barnes TSX are wonderful bullets... at modern rifle velocities. In my experience to get best performance from the TSX bullet the impact velocity should be 2000fps+ which means the max effective range from a 500 NE would be about 10 feet from the muzzle. As for Hornady, I've got friends who have had bad experiences with them in Africa so i just don't trust them.

Woodleigh and Swift would both be good choices for this wonderful old cartridge. Im a very big fan of Swift A-frames, ive personally seen them do some amazing things and I know many others who would attest to this.

-matt

I would NOT recommend Barnes TSX for the 500 NE cartridge. Barnes TSX are wonderful bullets... at modern rifle velocities. In my experience to get best performance from the TSX bullet the impact velocity should be 2000fps+ which means the max effective range from a 500 NE would be about 10 feet from the muzzle. ...

I called Barnes tech support this morning as I had a question for them. While at it I asked about the TSX bullets for both .458 (450 NE) AND .510 caliber for .500 NE. Their answer:

For 500 grain .458 the TSX opens up at 1,400 fps.
For 570 grain .510 the TSX opens up at 1,500 fps.

So, based on their statement, with a muzzle velocity of 2,000 - 2,150 of those cartridges I think they would perform.

a dream in the right caliber(y)

I'm jealous!

@matt85 since you had the Heym for a while how do you like it.
Krish
The rifle is easily the most beautiful and well made gun I've ever owned. However, Something about the balance makes it uncomfortable to shoot. The rifle seems to come strait back under recoil rather then up and back like my old 505 Gibbs. This makes your follow up shot easier to land but makes the recoil feel sharp rather than a strong push like my 505 was.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the gun, it is easily the center piece of my firearm collection. It just doesn't get shot as much as some of my other heavy bore rifles.

-matt

+1, my buddy is about to order an 89B in 500. We have had some great reports from other owners.
Yes looking at it. It will be a while as to which one 470 or 500. May be both. Do I really need it. It is basically PH rifles. I will just only be a client. Again all depends how financial wind blows.
Krish

Since you are the client Krish maybe consider the 450/400 or even the 375 Flanged. Heym offers both in it's 89B Light Frame. Weighs just 3.6kg bare, you can have scope added or a red dot and you have a do anything double, including trek 20 miles!

Yes 450/400 pondoras favorite. I have too many 416,s. 404's, and 458's. Also have couple of 505's and 500 Jeffrey's. Several 375's. Have all the client rifles, need no more. The doubles are just fill the desire. May be it will complete
the collection.
Krish

Since you are the client Krish maybe consider the 450/400 or even the 375 Flanged. Heym offers both in it's 89B Light Frame. Weighs just 3.6kg bare, you can have scope added or a red dot and you have a do anything double, including trek 20 miles!

Do everything but elephant in my view. I'd want to be around 5,000 ft/lbs at the muzzle minimum for elephant. Gives you more options in regards to placement. Though I am biased with my Heym .500 NE. I just recently finished developing a load with 570 grain CEB Safari solids than actually turned out to be better than factory accuracy with Hornady at 50 meters off of shooting sticks.

1614197044045.png

Do everything but elephant in my view. I'd want to be around 5,000 ft/lbs at the muzzle minimum for elephant. Gives you more options in regards to placement. Though I am biased with my Heym .500 NE. I just recently finished developing a load with 570 grain CEB Safari solids than actually turned out to be better than factory accuracy with Hornady at 50 meters off of shooting sticks.

View attachment 390556

Wow, that is exceptional accuracy...and is making me feel good about my upcoming flight down to Dallas to visit Chris Sells, and shoot a few Heym double rifles!

Wow, that is exceptional accuracy...and is making me feel good about my upcoming flight down to Dallas to visit Chris Sells, and shoot a few Heym double rifles!

1 MOA at 50 meters seeing left and right barrel shots are touching each other. Not quite a bolt gun accuracy but I'll take it ;) Don't need anything more than that at the distances I will be shooting.

Chris is really nice. He took his time measuring me for my recent purchase when I drove up there a month or so ago.

I feel the same way! Although I’m sadly a bit further away from getting one. I’ve recently got a Heym .404 and now want (need?!) a 89 as well. The question is in what caliber!? I was pretty set on .470 but now I’m reading some lovely old books that talk about .577’s and there are a few others that have got my attention. I’m not a collector, I want one double, and would rather spend the rest of my hard earned cash on hunts than a well stocked safe so I need to think carefully about it.

1 MOA at 50 meters seeing left and right barrel shots are touching each other. Not quite a bolt gun accuracy but I'll take it ;) Don't need anything more than that at the distances I will be shooting.

Chris is really nice. He took his time measuring me for my recent purchase when I drove up there a month or so ago.

Excellent...I’m glad he takes his time measuring...especially for guns within the “nitro express” recoil scale.

I feel the same way! Although I’m sadly a bit further away from getting one. I’ve recently got a Heym .404 and now want (need?!) a 89 as well. The question is in what caliber!? I was pretty set on .470 but now I’m reading some lovely old books that talk about .577’s and there are a few others that have got my attention. I’m not a collector, I want one double, and would rather spend the rest of my hard earned cash on hunts than a well stocked safe so I need to think carefully about it.

Cal, I’m in the opposite boat as you...I’ve got my sights set on an 89b for now, but I’m also lusting after an express bolt rifle...especially with the color hardened action!

So far, I’m set on going with a .577 (case colored action, of course), having shot a few, I’d love to haul that most impractical caliber around Africa and take some dangerous game with it while I’m still physically able to do so. Then my boys can fight over it when I’m gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg