Heym Model 89 in 500 NE

Do everything but elephant in my view. I'd want to be around 5,000 ft/lbs at the muzzle minimum for elephant. Gives you more options in regards to placement. Though I am biased with my Heym .500 NE. I just recently finished developing a load with 570 grain CEB Safari solids than actually turned out to be better than factory accuracy with Hornady at 50 meters off of shooting sticks.
I’d be interested to hear how the regulation with handloading went. Obviously the results are outstanding! My buddy and I each have an 89b in 500 NE being delivered soon. His is here in the states and will be here this week and mine mid March. We will start the load process and I have 570 grain CEB safari solids ready to go. I’d love to know what load you settled on if you don’t mind sharing.

So far, I’m set on going with a .577 (case colored action, of course), having shot a few, I’d love to haul that most impractical caliber around Africa and take some dangerous game with it while I’m still physically able to do so. Then my boys can fight over it when I’m gone.

I tried the .577 when in Dallas. That sucker is heavy. My ~ 12lbs .500 NE is the heaviest I wish to lug around.

I’m not a collector, I want one double, and would rather spend the rest of my hard earned cash on hunts than a well stocked safe so I need to think carefully about it.

Then I'd recommend .450 NE and up depending on personal preference. .450 NE @ 4,900+ ft/lbs of muzzle energy will handle any DG in the world and any caliber after that is just gravy. .470 is two peas in a pod with the .450 as it was designed to match it ballistically. .500 and .577 just depends on how much weight you wish to lug around and recoil tolerance.

Would be interesting to see the recoil. A 500ne is the biggest ive shot.
My uncle wwnt to sa after ww2. He said some camps kept a 600ne, incase animals came in the camp. But everyone joked they would rather face any animal bare handed, than to have to pull the trigger on the 600 !

Would be interesting to see the recoil. A 500ne is the biggest ive shot.
My uncle wwnt to sa after ww2. He said some camps kept a 600ne, incase animals came in the camp. But everyone joked they would rather face any animal bare handed, than to have to pull the trigger on the 600 !

While visiting with Chris (Heym sales) last week, I was able to shoot a 470 and 577 during the same range session. The 577 came back noticeably harder, but it wasn’t many times more than the 470, and both calibers, for me, are in the “10 full house loads per range session” category.

We weighed the Heym 577, and it was 13 pounds on the dot with loaded chambers.

Well, I just put a deposit down on one...I’ll post pics in a new thread when it arrives in 12 months!
Congratulations. The one I looked at was 16.5 pounds and that was a bit much for me. I had to stop at .500 NE in regards to weight. I know a few guys that love their .577s and I am sure you will as well.

I wouldn't worry about the recoil as the extra weight helps with that obviously. Probably not much more than a .500 NE weighting in at 11 lbs 10 oz like mine.

Edit: I just saw your post about it being 13 pounds, I guess I misremembered it when Chris showed it to me. It still felt very heavy for me though.

Congratulations. The one I looked at was 16.5 pounds and that was a bit much for me. I had to stop at .500 NE in regards to weight. I know a few guys that love their .577s and I am sure you will as well.

I wouldn't worry about the recoil as the extra weight helps with that obviously. Probably not much more than a .500 NE weighting in at 11 lbs 10 oz like mine.

Thanks, I’m really looking forward to getting this thing in my hands, and starting load development.

Now I just need to find some guys to actually go on Safari with. All my friends think spending 1000 bucks on a rifle is ludicrous, and are really happy with their plastic stocked 270 rifles.

Now I just need to find some guys to actually go on Safari with. All my friends think spending 1000 bucks on a rifle is ludicrous, and are really happy with their plastic stocked 270 rifles.
Give me a shout when the time comes always up for a double rifle DG safari. :D

Forgot to mention...I shot 8 rounds of 470 and 8 rounds of 577 within about 1 hour, and while I definitely felt it in my shoulder, I didn’t have any bruising.
Do the 577 have s mercury tube in the stock?

One thing that the 577 has in spades is horsepower...Chris has me shoot some tree stumps in a swampy area next to his range, and it flung pieces of wood and soil about 20 feet into the air!

Thanks, I’m really looking forward to getting this thing in my hands, and starting load development.

Pity. Yes finding people with the sniff and the bucks to share dreams isn't easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg