Heym Model 89 in 500 NE

Discussion in 'Double Rifles' started by matt85, Jan 25, 2018.

1. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Glad you got to shoot it more Matt!

2. TOBY458

TOBY458 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Thanks for the update. At that price I would've hoped for more 5 star features. Hopefully it will grow on you in time.

CAustin likes this.

3. Opposite Pole

Opposite Pole AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
    Hunted:
    Australia, Poland
    Is the front site height adjustable? Do you know at what range the gun was regulated? Curios to know, if elevation is properly adjusted at the correct range, I guess I would be very surprised if it wasn't, particularly since the regulation seems to be top notch and that's the hard part. It's incredible how much the rifle didn't like the Hornady loads, 12" at that distance is huge! Goes to show how important the right ammo is in a double.

4. CTDolan

CTDolan AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Does anybody know if this model has intercepting safeties? It’s rare for a boxlock but Matt’s description of the trigger pulls suggests that it might.

5. ActionBob

ActionBob AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA life, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
    I would not be surprised if the elevation is good once it get a to a 50 plus yard range. I'm guessing at 27 yards the bullet is still rising.

Hopeful at least!

Good luck with her growing on you Matt;)

Bob

6. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
    Thanks for the review Matt, I was just happy that it showed up and wasn’t full of used pinball machine parts after all the shit shows you have had with rifles over the years! Lol
    Cheers,
    Cody

matt85 and ActionBob like this.

7. matt85

matt85 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, and Namibia
    considering elephant hunting is done at around 25-50 yards I would think it should be closer then it is. the gun has a flip up 100 yard sight that might help.

the sites are fixed but I imagine the front sight can be replaced (I will look when I get home).

I was also kinda shocked that Hornady was so far off but I fired 6 DGS cartridges from the rifle and not once did the impacts come close to each other. However ive very pleased that the Barnes brass solids seem to have nearly the same POI as the Woodleigh Hydro's. the Woodleigh hydro's aren't exactly common or inexpensive while the Barnes are easily available.

-matt

ActionBob likes this.

8. One Day...

One Day... AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA
    Hunted:
    Europe, America, Canada, Africa
    Luckily for you, it is muzzle heavy rather than muzzle light. This means that by adding a mercury recoil reducer of appropriate weight (or just plain old lead) in the stock, you can easily balance the gun to have the "weight" (i.e. balance point) between your two hands, where it should be. Yes, it will likely add a few ounces to the gun weight, but 11 pounds 11 ounces is not ridiculously heavy for a .500 - it was actually the standard weight of a .500 in the good old days, so that its perceived recoil would be about on par with the perceived recoil of a lighter .470 - and even if it gets to 12 pounds, you will never feel the weight difference but it will point much better. It is easy to find out exactly how much weight is needed to balance the gun by wrapping anything you can think off around the stock until you get it to balance, then weigh the material on a postal scale.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    GWSpringer likes this.

9. One Day...

One Day... AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA
    Hunted:
    I think that you mean intercepting SEARS, and the answer is yes. See https://www.heymusa.com/rifles/89b.html

Attached Files:

CTDolan likes this.

10. One Day...

One Day... AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA
    Hunted:
    Based on pics on the Heym website, it appears that the front sight is of the classic interchangeable slide-in type. It would be extremely unlikely that non-custom specified sights would be different.

11. One Day...

One Day... AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA
    Hunted:
    Truth be told, this may only mean that 1) the way you are nesting the front bead in the shallow V rear, or 2) the way you are controlling the recoil, are different from the way the person who regulated the gun did. In the old days, the maker would file the V progressively, as the customer shot, in order to get it perfectly regulated FOR THE OWNER. Nowadays, the same purpose is accomplished with slide-in interchangeable front sights. I would not be disappointed by this if I were you, Actually, quite the opposite , i.e. the gun shooting perfectly to YOUR point of aim / how YOU control the recoil would have been highly unlikely.

ActionBob likes this.

12. One Day...

One Day... AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA
    Hunted:
    By the way, the formula for determining the amount of front sight correction needed is as follows:

amount of point of impact shift required in inches (in this case, 3 inches)
    x (multiplied by) sight radius in inches (distance between front and rear sight, I am not sure on your gun, you can measure it, but let us assume 20 inches for example)
    / (divided by) distance to the target in inches (let us say 25 yards - which is appropriate for a double .500 - x (multiplied by) 36 inches per yard = 900 inches)
    = required increase or decrease of front sight eight in inches.

So, in your case, shooting 3" low at 25 yards/meters, you need a front sight 3 x 20 / 900 = 0.06" inch shorter, that I am sure Heym will be happy to provide.

TTundra, Pheroze and ActionBob like this.

13. One Day...

One Day... AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA
    Hunted:
    Now, THAT is quite uncommon! Opening the group a few inches due to the different yaw of the gun based on different loads (bullet weight, bullet driving bands, powder charge, etc.) is to be expected, as you very well know, but 12" between most loads and one specific load, in a quality gun - which the Heym is - is just bizarre. Does it shoot high, low, or wide? Were the barrels hot? (these are not designed to fire 25 shots strings ;-) Most importantly is this repeatable? etc. My little pinky tells me that there is something to be understood here...

14. One Day...

One Day... AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA
    Hunted:
    Yes, I think that you are right. You two need to spend a little time together. The balance is really simple to fix - and truth be told it is a matter of personal preference; the front sight should not rightfully be expected to be at point of aim; you will learn the trigger and probably come to like the fact that you have a first stage - which is likely by design to spare you the grand classic of touching the gun off accidentally as you swing during an exciting time; etc. There is a reason why these guns used to be made on an individual order basis, and were fitted (like a suit) to their individual owner. You are just experiencing dealing with what the 1/2 day fitting session in London would have ironed out. The gun is fine, actually beyond fine, and you are a lucky man to have such a nice gun.
    And I bet that you will come back and tell us the story re. the Hornady load...

Pheroze and ActionBob like this.

15. norfolk shooter

norfolk shooter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASC
    Hunted:
    UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
    Very nice double you have there Matt. Love the wood and the chequering too

16. matt85

matt85 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, and Namibia
    holy cow @One Day... you think you posted enough times?!

• 12 pounds would be an acceptable weight if the gun had a steel butt plate as the old rifles did. with a modern pad the gun should be 10.5-11.5 pounds, anything heavier is just more weight to carry.
    • i shouldn't have to modify a $30,000 custom order rifle to make it fit me better.
    • the Hornady ammunition just didn't work in this gun, it didnt matter if the barrels were cold or warm. could be a bad box or perhaps the bullet style is just too different from the brass solids its regulated for. if memory serves me right, the right barrel was near POI while the left barrel was very far low and left.
    • the gun shoots low. i was just sifting threw the paperwork and even the regulation target shows a POI about 1.75" low at 50 meters.

regulation target.jpg

17. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    One Day, you may not have been able to get to Africa yet, but it is obvious from your posts that you are no "tenderfoot" when it comes to your knowledge of firearms.

Matt 85, is it possible to purchase a "set" of front sights from Heym that would enable to adjust your front sight height to accommodate various loads and distances?

18. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    With factory ammunition, the regulation between different production lots alone can cause significant changes in regulation. Did they provide you the specific lot number?

A rifle which regulates low is far less forgiving than one which regulates a bit high. The former complicates range estimation issues while the latter buys you a bit of fudge factor.

Looking at your group vice the 1.75 inch low regulation target you described, I am inclined to believe that you and the shooter regulating the target "see" the sights differently. Fairly common with open sights. That could be fixed with a new front sight IF you are happy with that group at that range.

Aren't doubles fun!?! :(:mad:

Did I mention that I have an 8k Blaser S2 that will do that at 100 meters? :whistle:

ActionBob likes this.

19. ActionBob

ActionBob AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA life, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
    Joe;
    Like any avid gun guy, you must surely want to sell that Blazer for about 6k ?;) ... Just letting you you know I'm here for you when you're ready :)

tarbe, Pheroze, Royal27 and 1 other person like this.

20. CTDolan

CTDolan AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Thanks for the reply...didn't think to look on Heym's site for the answer.

P.S. - They go by either...one gunmaker's intercepting sear is another's intercepting safety (and, technically, they are a form of safety).