Here or there?

Flipper Dude

AH elite
Joined
Jul 28, 2013
Messages
1,801
Reaction score
7,197
Location
Texas
Media
32
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique
Hey guys. With any luck I should take an elephant bull this June in Zimbabwe. I plan on having replicas made of the tusks. Here’s my question. Cuan at TCI has done taxidermy for me before, and does an excellent job. My PH can get the actual tusks to TCI so they can make a cast (?) and make exact replicas. I’ve seen their work and it looks great. Otherwise, I can only get pictures and multiple measurements to a stateside taxidermy company. However, no shipping, no clearances, no BS in getting stuff in from Africa. Is it the same hassle and expense getting fiberglass tusks shipped from Zim as actual taxidermy? Inquiring minds want to know.
 
I’ll be interested to hear the responses. I was under the impression since there is no wildlife products it can just be shipped back standard mail to your door, no clearing.
 
I’ll be interested to hear the responses. I was under the impression since there is no wildlife products it can just be shipped back standard mail to your door, no clearing.

I would agree
 
Hey guys. With any luck I should take an elephant bull this June in Zimbabwe. I plan on having replicas made of the tusks. Here’s my question. Cuan at TCI has done taxidermy for me before, and does an excellent job. My PH can get the actual tusks to TCI so they can make a cast (?) and make exact replicas. I’ve seen their work and it looks great. Otherwise, I can only get pictures and multiple measurements to a stateside taxidermy company. However, no shipping, no clearances, no BS in getting stuff in from Africa. Is it the same hassle and expense getting fiberglass tusks shipped from Zim as actual taxidermy? Inquiring minds want to know.

I've had truly mixed results with TCI over there. Costs for "curios" which I include Elephant Tusks are a LOT more expensive over here. The best replica tusks and other curios I've seen are with Vince Pegg in Bulawayo at Collette's Taxidermy. They will reverse cast your actual tusks and you cannot tell they are fake until you actually put them in your hands. They cost relatively little, about $600 or so, wall mounted?

If you have the time to get harassed at the airport, you can walk them through the US customs yourself once they are satisfied they are replicas. What you save on shipping nonsense by going back to Africa to fetch them on another safari is a substantial savings, probably covers the airfare to go back and get them in fact.
 
Hey guys. With any luck I should take an elephant bull this June in Zimbabwe. I plan on having replicas made of the tusks. Here’s my question. Cuan at TCI has done taxidermy for me before, and does an excellent job. My PH can get the actual tusks to TCI so they can make a cast (?) and make exact replicas. I’ve seen their work and it looks great. Otherwise, I can only get pictures and multiple measurements to a stateside taxidermy company. However, no shipping, no clearances, no BS in getting stuff in from Africa. Is it the same hassle and expense getting fiberglass tusks shipped from Zim as actual taxidermy? Inquiring minds want to know.
Why would you not try to bring home the trophy of a lifetime? They are issuing import permits now.
 
I’m going to try for sure. I’ll admit that I haven’t done the research yet as to what is required, or if the area that I’m hunting is eligible for import. I need to get on that.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,272
Messages
1,571,216
Members
169,274
Latest member
VilmaKorne
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt Meister
480-410-1594
azklmsr462@gmail.com

have a great evening
autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
 
Top