Here or there?

Flipper Dude

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hey guys. With any luck I should take an elephant bull this June in Zimbabwe. I plan on having replicas made of the tusks. Here’s my question. Cuan at TCI has done taxidermy for me before, and does an excellent job. My PH can get the actual tusks to TCI so they can make a cast (?) and make exact replicas. I’ve seen their work and it looks great. Otherwise, I can only get pictures and multiple measurements to a stateside taxidermy company. However, no shipping, no clearances, no BS in getting stuff in from Africa. Is it the same hassle and expense getting fiberglass tusks shipped from Zim as actual taxidermy? Inquiring minds want to know.

I’ll be interested to hear the responses. I was under the impression since there is no wildlife products it can just be shipped back standard mail to your door, no clearing.

I’ll be interested to hear the responses. I was under the impression since there is no wildlife products it can just be shipped back standard mail to your door, no clearing.

I would agree

Hey guys. With any luck I should take an elephant bull this June in Zimbabwe. I plan on having replicas made of the tusks. Here’s my question. Cuan at TCI has done taxidermy for me before, and does an excellent job. My PH can get the actual tusks to TCI so they can make a cast (?) and make exact replicas. I’ve seen their work and it looks great. Otherwise, I can only get pictures and multiple measurements to a stateside taxidermy company. However, no shipping, no clearances, no BS in getting stuff in from Africa. Is it the same hassle and expense getting fiberglass tusks shipped from Zim as actual taxidermy? Inquiring minds want to know.

I've had truly mixed results with TCI over there. Costs for "curios" which I include Elephant Tusks are a LOT more expensive over here. The best replica tusks and other curios I've seen are with Vince Pegg in Bulawayo at Collette's Taxidermy. They will reverse cast your actual tusks and you cannot tell they are fake until you actually put them in your hands. They cost relatively little, about $600 or so, wall mounted?

If you have the time to get harassed at the airport, you can walk them through the US customs yourself once they are satisfied they are replicas. What you save on shipping nonsense by going back to Africa to fetch them on another safari is a substantial savings, probably covers the airfare to go back and get them in fact.

Why would you not try to bring home the trophy of a lifetime? They are issuing import permits now.

I’m going to try for sure. I’ll admit that I haven’t done the research yet as to what is required, or if the area that I’m hunting is eligible for import. I need to get on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross