Hello from Wisconsin

Welcome to AH Wbj. It is a great time to hunt. What is on your list and what will you be hunting with?
Thank you! I'll be rifle hunting for Impala, Blesbok, Blue Wildebeest, and Warthog, possibly others but we'll see.

its not to soon to start thinking about a taxidermist, shipping company, and an importer to handle all the paper work. Laura at Coppersmiths in Chicago is a good one along with Pieter of Badger Cargo in Joburg those two are working on my animals from last April right now and don't forget to get hold of Jennifer at Travel Express for flights and hotel see does a good job

Last edited:
Welcome from central Wisconsin,

Welcome from Waukesha County!

welcome welcome welcome

Welcome to AH

Welcome from Stoti, WI! 61PIfgzh2kL.jpg

Welcome, glad to have you here on AH!!

Thank you! I'll be rifle hunting for Impala, Blesbok, Blue Wildebeest, and Warthog, possibly others but we'll see.

Welcome!

I would want to hunt the largest places you can. Stay with indigenous species as much as possible. My personal preference is to avoid the higher priced species such as Sable, Roan, Nyala as they tend to be in smaller more closely managed pens. I prefer to wait for opportunities to hunt them in wild areas.

Consider some night hunting. Limpopo has a few of the tiny ten and many of the silent seven.... Great fun!

How much space do you have for taxidermy? Is your budget pretty healthy? If I was starting over I would be much more selective on what I had mounted. And really consider just pictures for a lot.

By the time we add up dip and pack, shipping, taxidermy, bases, shipping within the US. Handling hassles, and the inevitable need for a trophy room.... we are going to be in way over a million usd. Possibly two.... Think about all the extra hunting you can do. Especially post pandemic with shipping, labor, building, taxidermy costs all very inflated from what they were..... While hunts are still priced pretty close to where they were.

Welcome!

I would want to hunt the largest places you can. Stay with indigenous species as much as possible. My personal preference is to avoid the higher priced species such as Sable, Roan, Nyala as they tend to be in smaller more closely managed pens. I prefer to wait for opportunities to hunt them in wild areas.

Consider some night hunting. Limpopo has a few of the tiny ten and many of the silent seven.... Great fun!

How much space do you have for taxidermy? Is your budget pretty healthy? If I was starting over I would be much more selective on what I had mounted. And really consider just pictures for a lot.

By the time we add up dip and pack, shipping, taxidermy, bases, shipping within the US. Handling hassles, and the inevitable need for a trophy room.... we are going to be in way over a million usd. Possibly two.... Think about all the extra hunting you can do. Especially post pandemic with shipping, labor, building, taxidermy costs all very inflated from what they were..... While hunts are still priced pretty close to where they were.
Thanks! I'm leaning towards euro mounts on this trip, though I do have some room for shoulder mounts if I change my mind. I've been combing through all of the threads on here and have already picked up a lot of great information from members. This site is truly amazing!

From central Wisconsin, Welcome to AH! Great site, great people to learn from.

Hello wbjorkman,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

As for advice, since you asked, I seriously recommend that for the Limpopo District, you should zero your rifle for only 100 yards.
Then practice over shooting sticks, from standing position, beginning at about 25 yards, clear out to 200 yards, learning where to hold your sight picture at those ranges and points in between.
Practice shooting quickly after settling onto your sticks.

Generally speaking, African critters (kudu sometimes being an exception) tend to suddenly bolt away, soon after spotting danger, including when they see us humans.
Practice, practice, practice and then practice some more.

Also, one does not need to be a marathon runner but, getting into some sort of shape to walk a lot is super important.

Blah blah blah. :ROFLMAO:

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Welcome from Minnesota.

I have a total of one safari to Limpopo under my belt, completed a month ago. If you have any specific questions on what worked and what I'd do differently please let me know.

The only advice I'd offer now is to keep your options open with your animals and take what Africa gives you.

Have a great trip.

I highly recomend you keep diary of your daily hunt for notes and memories of such a wonderfull journey/safary but the most important thing is use good quality walking boots/broken in and put in your cardio work out in place.
be ready for quick shots at game and usual distnae cane be 75-150 yrds unelss going after cape buffalo in which case 25-75 yrds and low power scope good qaulity glass/leupold,swarvoski,zeiss ect...
practice off hand shooting at 50 yrds and shooting stick/bipod stick at 100-200 yrds and memorize your ammo trajectory and practice as musch as possible .
after that its all gravy enjoy the experience I hunted in limpopo in august 2023 and im going abck again this august2024 its like a drug once you taste it you got have more .
Good luck and safe travels

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danpowder

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you