Hello from Eastern Canada

mikepos

Reaction score
Media
Member of
a couple
I live in New Brunswick, Canada... never been to Africa but hope to some day. Biggest animals here are moose, they get over 1000lbs for a big bull but bulls usually run 650-800lbs, cows a little less
Just sold a Marlin guide gun that shot like crap, always wanted a no.1 so wanted a 45-70 but after waiting for months I grabbed a 458Lott that came up. I have a couple thousand 45-70 bullets to use and a bunch of IMR4198 but also a few lbs of Trail Boss and a couple lbs H4895 (IMR too) to try reduced loads to not wreck a pile of Oregon Trail 405 HCL. Also will play with some 500gr bullets I ordered just for the experience. Loading the Marlin up near no.1 levels it was the hardest kicking rifle I've shot (mostly because it's designed for dwarves), except maybe a friend's no.1 416 Rigby.
I've spent hours scouring this site for reduced loads, something i've never considered before lol. Also will grab some cheaper 400-500 bullets to play with, will hunt deer (200lbs is a big deer here) and moose every 20 years when I get my name drawn :-(
But mostly I like lurking here, lots of interesting stuff and great pics

mikepos

Reaction score
Media
Member of
a couple
I live in New Brunswick, Canada... never been to Africa but hope to some day. Biggest animals here are moose, they get over 1000lbs for a big bull but bulls usually run 650-800lbs, cows a little less
Just sold a Marlin guide gun that shot like crap, always wanted a no.1 so wanted a 45-70 but after waiting for months I grabbed a 458Lott that came up. I have a couple thousand 45-70 bullets to use and a bunch of IMR4198 but also a few lbs of Trail Boss and a couple lbs H4895 (IMR too) to try reduced loads to not wreck a pile of Oregon Trail 405 HCL. Also will play with some 500gr bullets I ordered just for the experience. Loading the Marlin up near no.1 levels it was the hardest kicking rifle I've shot (mostly because it's designed for dwarves), except maybe a friend's no.1 416 Rigby.
I've spent hours scouring this site for reduced loads, something i've never considered before lol. Also will grab some cheaper 400-500 bullets to play with, will hunt deer (200lbs is a big deer here) and moose every 20 years when I get my name drawn :-(
But mostly I like lurking here, lots of interesting stuff and great pics

IMG_1086.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Hello and welcome!

Uncle Sauce

Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
GOA, RMGO, FRGC, SCI, DSC
Hunted
SA: Eastern Cape, US: ID, MT, NY, OR, VA, WA, WY
Welcome to AH!

Bos en Dal SAFARIS

Sponsor
Since 2014
AH elite
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
bosendal.co.za
Media
Member of
PHASA, SA Hunter & Conservation
Hunted
South Africa, Botswana

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
Welcome to AH !

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Mikepos, welcome to the AH forum!
I cannot find any 458 Lott loads on Hodgdon’s website, but I would suspect you could use your H4895 like Hodgdon says starting as low as 60% of the max. and working up from there to get a light load.
They show Trail Boss loads and H4895 loads for the 458 Winchester Magnum.
I don't shoot either, but I’m sure someone here has done this and will speak up sooner or later.

cls

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AHEIA
Hunted
Canada(AB, BC, SASK, NWT)), USA (WY, MN, TX), South Africa (Limpopo and Eastern Cape), Zambia
Welcome to the dark side.

Velo Dog

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 5 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
Hello mikepos,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best Regrds,
Velo Dog.

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
Welcome @mikepos as Skinnersblade mentioned I have maritime roots as well. My wife is a bluenoser (like Skinnersblade) and both of my boys are Herring Chokers like you. I am a UNB Fredericton grad but its a long time ago. I am a huge .458 Lott fan. I have been very fortunate to flatten quite a few buff with mine. I hope you get the opportunity to do so as well!

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Welcome to AH!

MarkB

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Member of
NFA, SCI, DU, CCFR, BCWF, African Gazete
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SA, Namibia, BC, AB, Ont
Welcome to AH from a fellow Canuck from the other coast. Now you will have to get that Africa disease and blood that new big kicker the correct way. Lots of good info and reading on here.

MB

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia

Trout Tracker

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
Life Member NRA, DU, NWTF, Delta Waterfowl, QDMA,
Hunted
Zimbabwe & RSA US: Kansas Oklahoma Texas Alabama Maine Arkansas Missouri
Welcome. I’m from northern Maine and spent much of my youth in the Maritimes. Lots of great people and friends there.
Great info and knowledge on this site. Enjoy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyScutt

Latest profile posts

pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?