Hello from Colorado!

CZDiesel

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
United States
Life long hunter here, wanted to say hello to the community.... I've had two African Safaris booked, one in RSA and one in Tanzania. I missed both due to injuries, my friends say it's the curse of Africa! Gives me a good laugh but I have another opportunity coming up in June though it's not fully booked.
I've scouted, spotted, hunted most of the South West here in the US. But my passion is getting to Africa.
Two rifles I have now for the hunt is a Winchester Super Grade in .264 WinMag and a Winchester Custom Shop Super Grade in .338 WinMag... They both are as eager as I am to get to Africa!
So thanks for having me aboard and hopefully here soon I can post some pics of my first Safari!

Welcome to AH hope you will find everything here that you are looking for.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome aboard @CZDiesel . You have chosen some fine weapons for hunting Africa. Those firearms will get the job done....and some.

All the best with your planning, and remember that the members here, are always keen to offer their help drawn from their own experiences.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Welcome CZ. Let's hope the third time's a charm. Good luck. Glad to have another Model 70 man join in.

Welcome to AH CZ!

Welcome aboard!

Welcome. The 338 WM, one of my favorite calibers, will certainly be enough gun for any PG.

Welcome to AH CZDiesel! Looking forward to having you share the pictures of your first hunting safari with us.

Have fun planning the adventure.

Take notes and lots of pictures.

Welcome to AH.

Welcome to AH !

Welcome to AH. This is the best place to get answers to any and all of your questions re. hunting in Africa ( as well as other places around the world.) Your current battery of rifles will serve you well for Plains Game including Eland. Get in as much practice shooting off "sticks" as you can, since you will be expected to use them in Africa.

What type of game are you planning to hunt? Where are you planning to hunt? Have you selected an outfitter yet?

I used a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser as one of my rifles last August. My hand loads were pushing 140 gr Nosler Partitions at 2775 fps. I think that load is very similar to that of a 264 Win Mag. Its' performance on the smaller PG animals "didn't leave anything on the table" i.e. one shot & DRT. For the larger animals I used a 35 Whelen and my hand loads pushing a 225 Gr. Barnes TSX at close to 2800 fps. When I did my part, the results were one shot kills. The animals were easy to track and found within 40 yds. My Eland however took a second shot because my first one was a bit high as I was trying to avoid shooting through brush. My PH tracked it for about 20 minutes then called the driver who the got me as close as he could to the PH. After walking about 200 yds. I saw the Eland trying to stand (again behind lots of brush) and waited a couple of minutes for it to move to where I had a better shot. The second shot dropped the Eland where it stood. The only reason I'm making reference to the guns I used is because they are both very similar to those you are planning on using.

From one Coloradan to another, welcome! You'll like the community here.

Welcome you AH sir!

Thank you everyone! I have been a frequent visitor before I joined and can tell that this is a very good community of hunters and like minded outdoorsman! There are so many informative posts here that one can read for days and still have his homework cut out for him...

@Claton Yes I have to admit I am a huge Winchester M-70 fan... But only New Haven built M-70s! I hope that doesn't make me a snob or anything but I can't get over the fact that the original and best made trigger ever along with the old schools custom house is now gone. I Hope to eventually add to the collection but these two have done very well for me now. A little heavy by some standards but hey, I have my standards too!

@spike.t The over 40 cal is in the plans!

@Shootist43 Yes the .264 is really a very remarkable round... It's sad it doesn't get the recognition it deserves, but it can reach waaaaaay out there and settle things quick! And still being able to tackle a 800+ lb Bull Elk!

@Lrntolive Thanks! Small world, hope to see you afield!

CZDiesel
Best of luck planning and finally getting to Africa!
Regards,
Philip

Welcome to AH CZDiesel. Be careful what you wish for! A trip to the Dark Continent will only cause you to become an addict. The dream, the research, the plan and finally you'll make it. Then you wont want to leave.

Welcome to AH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg