hello from Baggs, wy

Thanks for everyone’s help. I guess one thing I need to clarify on my bowhunting question. As I am from the West bowhunting elk deer and black bear. I have never hunted out of a blind. All of my bowhunting has always been spot and stalk. How is most bowhunting done in Africa? One of my concerns is sitting in a blind how much will I miss seeing if I was out and about hunting.

That completely depends on your wishes and how you would prefer to bow hunt. Hunting from hides over water, food sources, or mineral licks is the preferred method for most bow hunters visiting Africa for the first time simply because this method offers the hunter the most shot opportunity at the most different species in a relatively short time span. That said, you are welcome to hunt spot & stalk exclusively if that is your preference. We encourage our bow hunters to get out of the hides and stalk as much as possible when conditions dictate.

As a western bow hunter you are obviously aware of the additional challenges spot & stalking demands. You will be much more limited in your shot opportunities stalking versus hunting from the hides, stands, and blinds. As long as you are realistic about shot opportunity and up for the challenge, we will stalk as much as you prefer. There are also certain species that are much more conducive to be hunted spot & stalk. Your PH can advise accordingly with respect to those that are easier than others to stalk.

As far as what you will see hunting from the hides? Likely a steady parade of multiple species all taking their turns to come in a drink or have a lick of salt. It is not uncommon to see a dozen or more species in a half day session in a hide, not including birds, rodents, reptiles, varmints, and small predators. It is rare to have more than 5-10 minutes go by without a new critter coming in to see whats going on at the water hole...

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH wysongdog! Not sure where Bagg's WY is but I'm willing to bet you have som Pronghorn. Enjoy the site.

Wysongdog,
Welcome, as said before lots of good folks with experience.
I seem to learn something new each week.
If you reach out to anyone here you can expect a friendly call or email.
Have hunted NW Colorado for years.
Bags and Dixon as a young man.
Awesome ram in your avatar.

Yeah it’s great country and people. Thanks on the ram took me 17 years to draw the tag. Spent 30 days in the hills before I took this ram. Tried bowhunting for 2 weeks unsuccessfully before I got serious and got the rifle out :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois