Hello all!

I’m very much looking forward to it! It’s been a dream of mine.

All the info here today has given me pause and I’m looking into a couple other outfitters before booking with Kuche “free safari”.

This site is a great wealth of knowledge!!!

My name is Andrew Short. I’m 32 years old and have always dreamed of hunting Africa. Ive been reading this forum for years and decided to join as I was recently given a “free safari”. More on that later!

This site has provided much information and I have no doubt that it will continue to do so!

Welcome to AH

My name is Andrew Short. I’m 32 years old and have always dreamed of hunting Africa. Ive been reading this forum for years and decided to join as I was recently given a “free safari”. More on that later!

This site has provided much information and I have no doubt that it will continue to do so!

Welcome to AH!

Welcome!

Welcome to AH Andrew! Nice to have you as part of our community. Enjoy the site!

Welcome aboard Andrew, sorry I missed your introduction earlier. For a young man you certainly have a large battery of firearms. For your first Safari which should be for Plains Game any of your 300(s) will be just fine. The big question you need to answer is what bullet and weight should be used. Depending on what PG you will be hunting, they can weigh upwards of 700 pounds. For that size animal I suggest using a 200 Gr. Premium Bullet like a Swift A Frame or a Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. Heavier bullets at slower velocities are generally preferred by Professional Hunters and or Outfitters. Be sure to ask what is the normal shot distance at animals in the area you will be hunting. In the "bush" shorter shots are the norm, occasionally you will need to go 200 -250 yds. Practice shooting off "sticks," start off using a 22LR to get the technique down pat.

Welcome aboard Andrew, sorry I missed your introduction earlier. For a young man you certainly have a large battery of firearms. For your first Safari which should be for Plains Game any of your 300(s) will be just fine. The big question you need to answer is what bullet and weight should be used. Depending on what PG you will be hunting, they can weigh upwards of 700 pounds. For that size animal I suggest using a 200 Gr. Premium Bullet like a Swift A Frame or a Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. Heavier bullets at slower velocities are generally preferred by Professional Hunters and or Outfitters. Be sure to ask what is the normal shot distance at animals in the area you will be hunting. In the "bush" shorter shots are the norm, occasionally you will need to go 200 -250 yds. Practice shooting off "sticks," start off using a 22LR to get the technique down pat.

Yes I do. My grandfather was an avid hunter of deer, turkeys, and upland game birds and had a large number of shotguns and several rifles. I inherited these when he passed. I’m a bit of a gun nut and usually buy a new one every other month or so. I just bought the Rigby from another member and a an MRC 404 because I just Couldn’t decide between them..... “I have a problem I know“

I haven’t decided who I’m going to hunt with yet but it will be Juan with LJ safaris or Koos with Kuche. Juan and I talk nearly everyday. I’m dead set on taking Gemsbok, Kudu and Bushbuck and then whatever game presents itself.

I’ll be taking my 300 WSM with me. I normal shoot Nosler Accubond or Federal fusion for whitetail but per your suggestions I can definitely load up some swift a frames. “Going to for the 404 too”. I discussed ranges with both outfitters as well. 250 and in for Limpopo “Kuche” and Karoo is about the same. I have taken deer at 400 yards and i feel comfortable taking those shots of need be. I really wan to be as close as we can get!

I have zero experience on sticks so I’m planning on buying a set in order to become competent.

I really appreciate all the advice and wisdom!!!

Andrew - Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH Andrew. Congrats on your upcoming safari! Planning is half the fun! Enjoy the forum, it's very addicting.

Drew, where did you get the MRC 404 Jeffery? That caliber is one you are going to LOVE. I never heard of it till I joined AH, now I have two of them. When you are ready for it, I have load data that will put a smile on your face.

I purchased it from Jerry at JD Outfitters in Oklahoma. He had the rifle I purchased and a high grade version. He has a huge gun broker inventory. I’ve bought several from him over the past few years.

Welcome to the family and the forum Andrew, you are in the right place!

Thank you Travel Expess! I will be contacting you soon regarding my Safari.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noah8899

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg