Hello all from South Arkansas

Welcome from another boy from the Deep South. I took my family on our first safari this past June with a Ruger #1 30-06 as our only rifle. We used Freedom Munitions premium Tagged Out factory ammo loaded with the Accubond 165 grain bullets. We took kudu, zebra, blue wildebeest, 3 warthog, 3 impala, and a blesbok- all of which fell in sight. Wildebeest, hit through both shoulders, went 50 yards and did a front flip with the bullet perfectly mushroomed just under the hide. All three warthog fell where they stood. Ditto for the zebra and blesbok. Kudu made it 10 or twelve yards. One impala- lung shot- did a 50 yard death dash. Other two bang/flop. The '06 with good bullets and decent shooting was an outstanding choice for us.

After all the comments feeling better and better about my 3006. Figure to try several of the brands everyone recommends and see what shoots best.
I never looked at freedom munitions rifle ammo....have done a good bit of business with them for 9mm and 45 pistol ammo.

Welcome to AH sir. Best wishes on your hunt.

After all the comments feeling better and better about my 3006. Figure to try several of the brands everyone recommends and see what shoots best.
I never looked at freedom munitions rifle ammo....have done a good bit of business with them for 9mm and 45 pistol ammo.
Full disclosure- the CEO is a friend of mine and Tagged Out is their line of premium ammo. I tried it at his request and it shot lights out in my rifle. Accubonds are great bullets so I decided to take it on safari. I hear several of our photos may be used in their next marketing campaign. Nevertheless, I wouldn't recommend it if it hadn't worked great.
IMG_0443.JPG

Full disclosure- the CEO is a friend of mine and Tagged Out is their line of premium ammo. I tried it at his request and it shot lights out in my rifle. Accubonds are great bullets so I decided to take it on safari. I hear several of our photos may be used in their next marketing campaign. Nevertheless, I wouldn't recommend it if it hadn't worked great.View attachment 206520

I believe you. I think I will order a couple boxes to see how it shoots. Tell your buddy a friend and I have burned several thousand rounds of 9 in practice and have zero complaints.

Welcome @mikeinarkansas! Don't be shy around here. Ask lots of questions and make some new friends. Enjoy!

You’ve received lots of excellent info here. I’d first like to repeat sticks, sticks, sticks! Practice, practice, practice.
Use tough premium ammo that shoots best in your guns.
Finally, print out the pictures on here of all the game you want to shoot and memorize where to hit them. This is critical. If you don’t hit them in the right place, it doesn’t matter what you’re using. Dr Kevin RobertsonS pocket book “Perfect Shot” is also very handy (see SafariPress). But Jerome here at AH has done an excellent job of making pictures for free!

Your going to get addicted, so just sit back and enjoy every minute of your planning, practicing and finally your trip!

Welcome! Lived in AR for years, beautiful place. Macks Sporting Goods, Duck Calling Contest, good times all around. Interesting how they changed the non resident duck hunting permits this year...not sure how that will end up.

Thanks for joining! I am sure you will appreciate the board more & more over time. A great resource and folks are very willing to share info. If I may ever be of service, please feel free to reach out to me.
Best wishes on your first hunt (it's VERY addictive!)

Welcome to this great forum mikeinarkansas! Enjoy the site!

Hi Mike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mike, welcome to AH. Just got back from 12 days in Namibia. At I am no expert in firearms, I used a 300 Win Mag and it worked well for me. Have a great hunt.

Welcome to AH! I'd recommend the 180 TTSX bullet.

Wlcome to AH.
Shot Placement:
Kudu - minimum calibre: 7 x 57 Mauser
recommended calibre : 308Win, 30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag
Gemsbok - minimum calibre : 7mm Rem Mag
recommended calbre: any of the .300Magnums
Zebra - minimum calbre 7 x 57 Mauser
recommended calibre 7mm Rem Mag, 30-06
Impala- minimum calibre: 22Hornet
recommended calibre: .275 Roberts, 6,5 Mauser, 7 x 57 Mauser

I think that 30-06 is very good caliber for animals you want to hunt.
Good luck in Africa.
Witold

What’s your opinion of the 27O Winchester on the above game?

Welcome glad to have you. I just returned form SA where I took several medium sized PG with my 270 WSM using 140 gr accubonds no issues at all. But if I had to do it again I would go with 150 noslers.

have a GREAT 1st trip & keep us posted on the results!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg