mikeinarkansas

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
Welcome from another boy from the Deep South. I took my family on our first safari this past June with a Ruger #1 30-06 as our only rifle. We used Freedom Munitions premium Tagged Out factory ammo loaded with the Accubond 165 grain bullets. We took kudu, zebra, blue wildebeest, 3 warthog, 3 impala, and a blesbok- all of which fell in sight. Wildebeest, hit through both shoulders, went 50 yards and did a front flip with the bullet perfectly mushroomed just under the hide. All three warthog fell where they stood. Ditto for the zebra and blesbok. Kudu made it 10 or twelve yards. One impala- lung shot- did a 50 yard death dash. Other two bang/flop. The '06 with good bullets and decent shooting was an outstanding choice for us.

After all the comments feeling better and better about my 3006. Figure to try several of the brands everyone recommends and see what shoots best.
I never looked at freedom munitions rifle ammo....have done a good bit of business with them for 9mm and 45 pistol ammo.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Welcome to AH sir. Best wishes on your hunt.

Whiskey1

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Virginia, Texas, Wyoming, Maine
After all the comments feeling better and better about my 3006. Figure to try several of the brands everyone recommends and see what shoots best.
I never looked at freedom munitions rifle ammo....have done a good bit of business with them for 9mm and 45 pistol ammo.
Full disclosure- the CEO is a friend of mine and Tagged Out is their line of premium ammo. I tried it at his request and it shot lights out in my rifle. Accubonds are great bullets so I decided to take it on safari. I hear several of our photos may be used in their next marketing campaign. Nevertheless, I wouldn't recommend it if it hadn't worked great.
IMG_0443.JPG

mikeinarkansas

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
Full disclosure- the CEO is a friend of mine and Tagged Out is their line of premium ammo. I tried it at his request and it shot lights out in my rifle. Accubonds are great bullets so I decided to take it on safari. I hear several of our photos may be used in their next marketing campaign. Nevertheless, I wouldn't recommend it if it hadn't worked great.View attachment 206520

I believe you. I think I will order a couple boxes to see how it shoots. Tell your buddy a friend and I have burned several thousand rounds of 9 in practice and have zero complaints.

robertq

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Life member of DSC, SCI, NRA, Rocky Mt Elk Foundation, American Hunter, Buck Masters & Ruffed Grouse Society
Hunted
Russia, Argentina, Canada & South Africa
Welcome @mikeinarkansas! Don't be shy around here. Ask lots of questions and make some new friends. Enjoy!

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
You’ve received lots of excellent info here. I’d first like to repeat sticks, sticks, sticks! Practice, practice, practice.
Use tough premium ammo that shoots best in your guns.
Finally, print out the pictures on here of all the game you want to shoot and memorize where to hit them. This is critical. If you don’t hit them in the right place, it doesn’t matter what you’re using. Dr Kevin RobertsonS pocket book “Perfect Shot” is also very handy (see SafariPress). But Jerome here at AH has done an excellent job of making pictures for free!

Your going to get addicted, so just sit back and enjoy every minute of your planning, practicing and finally your trip!

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england

lockingblock

AH senior member
Reaction score
Welcome! Lived in AR for years, beautiful place. Macks Sporting Goods, Duck Calling Contest, good times all around. Interesting how they changed the non resident duck hunting permits this year...not sure how that will end up.

Ernie Shipman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
The Church Universal & The Kingdom of Heaven
Hunted
South Africa
Thanks for joining! I am sure you will appreciate the board more & more over time. A great resource and folks are very willing to share info. If I may ever be of service, please feel free to reach out to me.
Best wishes on your first hunt (it's VERY addictive!)

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Welcome to this great forum mikeinarkansas! Enjoy the site!

flatfoot

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
british bow hunting association
Hi Mike.

Last edited by a moderator:

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England

Bwana Bob

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hi Mike, welcome to AH. Just got back from 12 days in Namibia. At I am no expert in firearms, I used a 300 Win Mag and it worked well for me. Have a great hunt.

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Welcome to AH! I'd recommend the 180 TTSX bullet.

Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Wlcome to AH.
Shot Placement:
Kudu - minimum calibre: 7 x 57 Mauser
recommended calibre : 308Win, 30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag
Gemsbok - minimum calibre : 7mm Rem Mag
recommended calbre: any of the .300Magnums
Zebra - minimum calbre 7 x 57 Mauser
recommended calibre 7mm Rem Mag, 30-06
Impala- minimum calibre: 22Hornet
recommended calibre: .275 Roberts, 6,5 Mauser, 7 x 57 Mauser

I think that 30-06 is very good caliber for animals you want to hunt.
Good luck in Africa.
Witold

What’s your opinion of the 27O Winchester on the above game?

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Welcome glad to have you. I just returned form SA where I took several medium sized PG with my 270 WSM using 140 gr accubonds no issues at all. But if I had to do it again I would go with 150 noslers.

Ernie Shipman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
The Church Universal & The Kingdom of Heaven
Hunted
South Africa
have a GREAT 1st trip & keep us posted on the results!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffereyFo

Latest profile posts

Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.